Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Get wireless button working on Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718

Beans

HOWTO: Get wireless button working on Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718

Okay so I got a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718 laptop, only problem is that the wireless wouldn't work since ubuntu doesn't seem to support the button which you must press to activate the wireless card but i found this old thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=644899
    However it doesn't work exactly like that in 9.04 since stuff have changed but I got it to work with these steps

1. Paste this into the terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    2. Get acerhk files
    Code:
    wget http://www.cakey.de/acerhk/archives/acerhk-0.5.35.tgz
    3. Extract and Patch
    Code:
    tar xfvz acerhk-0.5.35.tgz
    cd acerhk-0.5.35
    wget http://www.edbl.no/tmp/acerhk.Makefile.patch
    patch -p0 < acerhk.Makefile.patch
    4. Install
    Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    5. Create a file containing instructions which the system will carry out when the acerhk module is loaded - see comments in the file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/amilo_special_keys.modprobe
    and paste the following into the file, save and exit

Code:
    # set up kernel module acerhk to enable Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718 special keys
    # and enable wireless when the module is inserted.
    # NOTE: to have the wireless hardware disabled until you press the wireless key on the laptop,
    # simply replace "echo 1" with "echo 0" in the command below. 

install acerhk /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install acerhk force_series=6805 autowlan=1; echo 1 > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled
    6. Remove the original acerhk module
    Code:
    sudo rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/ubuntu/misc/acerhk.ko
    7. Rebuild the module dependencies database
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    8. Tell the system to load the acerhk module at boot time - it won't otherwise, as it's not actually an Acer laptop!
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    add on a new line at the end of this file, then save and exit:
    Code:
    acerhk
    9. restart your machine and you should have a working wifi card.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Get wireless button working on Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718

I really dont have a clue what is all this code now, but I have wireless thanks to you!!
    Thank you so much

Now I will have to find out what all these mean
    Going to read now

Beans

Thank you very much! I already tried b43-fwcutter and ndiswrapper but couldn't turn the wireless button on. Now I got it working with your help.

--artiee

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I've been trying this with a live CD (to test before installing on a friends compu) but I get these errors...

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/acerhk-0.5.35$ make
    make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
      CC [M]  /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.o
    /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.c: In function ‘acerhk_proc_init’:
    /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.c:2671: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.c:2680: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.c:2690: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.c:2702: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.c:2715: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    /home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.c:2728: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    make[2]: *** [/home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35/acerhk.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/ubuntu/acerhk-0.5.35] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make: *** [acerhk.ko] Error 2
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/acerhk-0.5.35$
    Is this just because it is a live CD or am I going to have probs if I go ahead with the install?

Thanks for any help.
    Distros I use now: mint debian
    Other distros I have used at different times: ubuntu / opensuse / mint / xubuntu / xandros / knopix / eeebuntu / puppy / crunchbang

Beans

I got the same error, it's not working with Ubuntu 10.04 beta en RC.

Beans

Try to install driver from System -> (system management?) -> Hardware drivers. There should be a software modem, which worked fine for me on LiveCd 10.04 RC1+2 days. Haven't tried lately.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Michalxo View Post
    Try to install driver from System -> (system management?) -> Hardware drivers. There should be a software modem, which worked fine for me on LiveCd 10.04 RC1+2 days. Haven't tried lately.
    Edit: No, it's still broken, as usual in ubuntu... Time to move onto different distribution like Debian... or Mint.
    Suspend/Hibernation 2 years old bug does not work on this laptop. Wireless is problem for kernel 2.6.31-20+.

I've already migrated from ubuntu to debian on my personal laptop. This laptop (amilo li1718) will go there soon... Insane what ubutnu devs do.. no change unless debian devs do the hard work. ;-(

Beans

After finding this thread and other articles I managed to get Wireless working on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li2727. I discovered an easier method using the acerhkgui 0.7.2
    This latest version includes the acerhk driver, compiles it and installs it in /etc/modules. Note that compile also works on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.
    After that you need to make sure that wireless is turned on during startup by creating a modprobe cfg for the acerhk module.

This is all whats needed:
    1) Install acerhkgui 0.7.2 (download it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/acerhkgui/)
    2) Run it (its under Applications, System tools)
    3) gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/amilo_special_keys.modprobe
    4) Paste the following in that file, save and reboot:

# set up kernel module acerhk to enable Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718 special keys
    # and enable wireless when the module is inserted.
    # NOTE: to have the wireless hardware disabled until you press the wireless key on the laptop,
    # simply replace “echo 1″ with “echo 0″ in the command below.
    install acerhk /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install acerhk force_series=6805 autowlan=1; echo 1 > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hey i have a problem with step 4 ?! should it be just "make" and then "make install" ??? i did it and i got a console freeze.... sorry newb question.. i really need it i have an amilo m7440... i hope it works man cause i have big problems with my wireless... thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pigimon View Post
    hey i have a problem with step 4 ?! should it be just "make" and then "make install" ??? i did it and i got a console freeze.... sorry newb question.. i really need it i have an amilo m7440... i hope it works man cause i have big problems with my wireless... thanks.
    Hello,
    in this case you need to install fsam7440:
    http://linuxforums.org.uk/ubuntu/how...ver-in-ubuntu/

How-To and patched source code (ready to build) also here (German):
    http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/post/2804876/
    Last edited by flash63; March 20th, 2011 at 10:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast