Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants to test MIR?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Who wants to test MIR?

Could we please leave personal digs out of this, and stay on topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

I am able to run the accelerated demo on both 12.10 and 13.04 + Nvidia GT220 + Nouveau. The basic demo_client does not do anything but black screen. The unaccelerated demo now longer flashes after today's update but there are some nasty streaks across the rectangle. Now if only there could be some communication between us and the devs other than a bug report.

I found out that the number after the (sleep # actually controls the speed that the displays appears.

ie;
    (sleep 5; mir_demo_client_accelerated) & mir ; kill $!

is the default. I changed the number to 1 and it came up right away, 10 and it took a while longer.

I still get the flashing peacock blue box with the unaccelerated option.

Regards,
    Ventrical

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    The biggest problem with Mir is probably much people got offended Canonical didn't tell up front what they where doing and that is it.
    Not at all. It doesn't matter what time they announced it. What matters is they did not collaborate with others (in this case the accepted standard - wayland) to come up with a solution. If they had concerns, they should have let others know and find a common solution.

We are talking about the lower end of the stack here. At shell/app level you can have as much control/forks as you need; no probs. But at the lower end, it is essentially breaking the entire ecosystem. If we did not have gtk/qt split, how easy it would have been for app developers? At least in case of gtk/qt split there was a reason and was unavoidable. But for this split, the worst part is there is no justification; nothing whatsoever (except canonical wants control).

See what is happening with upstart/systemd. Every distros moved to systemd. Only canonical is hanging on to upstart (and only they ever used it) and they do not have any valid reasons why they do that (and it is been shown many times systemd is superior in many ways). I don't think even canonical is convinced themselves. At least create/make-up some reasons that do not challenge the common sense. I repeat, what is it that samsung did not mind but canonical did?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Maybe you have not seen the latest discussion comments

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMyMDE

Beans

Not at all. It doesn't matter what time they announced it. What matters is they did not collaborate with others (in this case the accepted standard - wayland) to come up with a solution. If they had concerns, they should have let others know and find a common solution.
    But Wayland is protocol and i do imagine the same "drama" would happen if Weston would not be choosed. And because of this i think we should say OK we have Mir and Wayland/Weston and probably more Wayland implementations not just Weston and OK let them compete. I do see possibility of Ubuntu using Wayland/Weston or Wayland based compositor in the future or Ubuntu flavors using it or the other way around. Why not if Mir could became viable option as upstream solution.

Said that drivers are the real issue here and driver model that will work well for both solutions this is what the focus should be on ATM.

Beans
    Distro

@ EgoGratis
    As much as I'd like to believe you, I just cannot, Ubuntu's previous projects shows another story.
    Ubuntu TV, who uses it ? Ubuntu for android, well.. ? Unity / Compiz, no other distro than Ubuntu seems to care and more and more compiz-plugins got broken because of the Unity-plugin.
    Then there is Upstart as MrJJ has explained earlier on this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    See what is happening with upstart/systemd. Every distros moved to systemd. Only canonical is hanging on to upstart (and only they ever used it) and they do not have any valid reasons why they do that (and it is been shown many times systemd is superior in many ways).
    I just cant see that MIR would be any different.
    When Canonical launched MIR, the least they could do was to come up with a reason that (as MrJJ so beautifully put it) does not challenge the common sense.
    Last edited by Stinger; March 9th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

well, unity is actually the best DE in linux.

Apart from unity only pantheon is any good... I suppose xfce and lxde serve their purposes but I can't imagine myself using gnome (I've tried and it's a nightmare)

so in that particular case I'm quite happy they forked it. And you can even use the same themes etc... so it's not that significant of a change.

upstart/mir etc.. I really can see no point in not using what everyone else is using. systemd/wayland

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    @ EgoGratis
    As much as I'd like to believe you, I just cannot, Ubuntu's previous projects shows another story.
    Ubuntu TV, who uses it ?
    Ubuntu TV is still in development, they are looking for volunteers to help with the work.

Ubuntu for android, well.. ?
    Was a technological demonstration, that will become reality, once the phone version is fully developed.

Unity / Compiz,[/ no other distro than Ubuntu seems to care and more and more compiz-plugins got broken because of the Unity-plugin.
    Sam has asked several times for volunteers to take over maintaining the plugins, it seems no one seems to think the plugins are important enough to take on the work.

Then there is Upstart as MrJJ has explained earlier on this thread:

I just cant see that MIR would be any different.
    When Canonical launched MIR, the least they could do was to come up with a reason that (as MrJJ so beautifully put it) does not challenge the common sense.
    Upstart seems to work well enough for all the derivative and Ubuntu based distributions.

As far as MIR is concerned, if it will work on all the devices that are planned to run Ubuntu Everywhere, why not give Ubuntu/Canonical the benefit of the doubt, and see where it goes.

Beans
    Distro

@ cariboo907

First thanks for putting up with me

Next, the benefit of the doubt for MIR, I guess I could do that. The fact is I just got used to compiz and now they seem to throw it out of the window.

You mentioned Sam Spillaz, well he doesn't seem to be to exited about MIR , and to quote him from here Confessions of a community member. On Phillip Ballew's blog comment-287
    What’s really disappointed me is the level of uncertainty the community as a whole is currently facing. For example, the entire story around what actually happens to 13.04 at the moment has been incredibly vague and opaque, and quite recently I was told that I was basically going to throw away 4 months of hard work because Ubuntu wasn’t going to take my patches because they don’t want to take community patches on compiz anymore. So I’ve just stopped working on compiz because I don’t even know how things are going to be handled at canonical. Which is a shame, because my patches vastly improve performance on nvidia hardware, are fully tested, developed using TDD, user tested, peer reviewed, what more could you ask for?

Ubuntu for me is now a waste of time, and I’m just focusing on my study instead. Canonical lost me as an employee by pulling these stunts on me, and now they’ve lost me as a maintainer of their legacy stack too.
    Here you can red what KWin maintainer Martin Gräßlin has to say to Mark S. on his blog, here are the first lines:
    Dear Mark Shuttleworth,

so you “have absolutely no doubt that Kwin will work just fine on top of Mir”. This is great and I totally appreciate that you think Mir is a great system. But I’m wondering why you don’t use KWin then, after all it will work fine on top of Mir and is Qt based?

But I have doubt that KWin will work just fine on top of Mir and I have already stated so. You might have wanted to check the facts before stating such claims (somehow I get a feeling for a pattern here).
    You can read the rest on the blog.

Think hard about it and tell me why I should give MIR the benefit of the doubt ?
    Last edited by Stinger; March 10th, 2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Correcting the quote of Sam Spillaz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    @ cariboo907

First thanks for putting up with me

Next, the benefit of the doubt for MIR, I guess I could do that. The fact is I just got used to compiz and now they seem to throw it out of the window.

You mentioned Sam Spillaz, well he doesn't seem to be to exited about MIR , and to quote him from here Confessions of a community member. On Phillip Ballew's blog comment-287

Here you can red what KWin maintainer Martin Gräßlin has to say to Mark S. on his blog, here are the first lines:

You can read the rest on the blog.

Think hard about it and tell me why I should give MIR the benefit of the doubt ?

Have you actually tried to do any of the suggested tests?

Regards,
    Ventrical

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast