Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best way to store my data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best way to store my data

Had a quick look ion the site but I can't find 50GB free for Android.

Ignore that! I've found it. It's on selected Android devices, unfortunately not mine. Will keep my eyes open though.
    Last edited by 337Manni; April 22nd, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I've read that RAID z performs better that RAIDz2 and that Striped Mirrored Vdev’s outperforms them all.
    Is that correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by 337Manni View Post
    Had a quick look ion the site but I can't find 50GB free for Android.

Ignore that! I've found it. It's on selected Android devices, unfortunately not mine. Will keep my eyes open though.
    It's LG Android devices.

Beans
    Distro

I've read that RAID z performs better that RAIDz2 and that Striped Mirrored Vdev’s outperforms them all.
    Is that correct?
    RAIDz arrays will have higher throughput in terms of a single request with the same number of disks (raidz slightly faster than raidz2). Mirrors will support more IOPS than a raidz array, because each mirror is able to respond individually rather than the raidz array that acts like one device. For home use, raidz2 is the best imho, and is still VERY fast when you have around (6) spindles.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your help.

In real world terms, if in the future I streamed video from this NAS to three/four different PC's which RAID would I benifit from?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your help.

In real world terms, if in the future I streamed video from this NAS to three/four different PC's which RAID would I benifit from?
    I use raidz2 at home with (9) 2TB drives and have no problem streaming 1080p streams to all 3 of my XBMC frontends at the same time. I'd use raidz2 for the guarantee that I could lose 2 disks and still have a functioning RAID set.

Beans
    Distro

Thats promising that theres a real world example.
    I was torn between ZFS RAID 10 and RAID2z, but I'll prob go for RAIDz2 now that I know that.

I also like the sounds of OpenIndiana that you mentioned.

Just so I can confirm, once I have the RAIDz2 setup, if the OS HDD, motherboard or other hardware should fail, I can move the RAIDz2 HDD's to a new setup, reinstall OpenIndianaor or another OS with the same or higher version of the pool and my RAID should be up and running again?

Beans
    Distro

what would the hardware requirments be for OpenIndiana? On there FAQ it says:

Disk space: Recommended size is 7GB. A minimum of 3GB is required. Memory: The minimum requirement is 512MB. Recommended size is 768MB.

On other sites I have seen Min 4GB RAM.

May I ask the specs of your hardware?

Beans
    Distro

Thats promising that theres a real world example.
    I was torn between ZFS RAID 10 and RAID2z, but I'll prob go for RAIDz2 now that I know that.

I also like the sounds of OpenIndiana that you mentioned.

Just so I can confirm, once I have the RAIDz2 setup, if the OS HDD, motherboard or other hardware should fail, I can move the RAIDz2 HDD's to a new setup, reinstall OpenIndianaor or another OS with the same or higher version of the pool and my RAID should be up and running again?
    Yes, this will work exactly as you describe. And, I would install the napp-it frontend, it makes it MUCH easier to manage if you've never used ZFS / Solaris before. Napp-it is dead simple to install to...
    Code:
    wget-O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl
    Once installed, just browse to your machine's ip on port 81 and log in
    Last edited by rubylaser; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

what would the hardware requirments be for OpenIndiana? On there FAQ it says:

Disk space: Recommended size is 7GB. A minimum of 3GB is required. Memory: The minimum requirement is 512MB. Recommended size is 768MB.

On other sites I have seen Min 4GB RAM.

May I ask the specs of your hardware?
    The more RAM you have the faster ZFS will be. Frankly, I'd spend more on RAM than I would on anything else in a ZFS system. The base install + all other packages I've installed is using 5.6GB on my OS drive. I did a text install (no GUI) of Openindiana and run a version 28 pool so it's portable to other OS's that support ZFS.

I have a AMD 4600+ X2 (this is a pretty old processor by today's standards) with 16GB of RAM (personally, I would say 4GB should be the minimum, but with RAM as cheap as it is, I'd really go for 8 or even 16GB myself). I use an IBM m1015 flashed with LSI IT firmware for my HBA (my motherboard only has 4 SATA ports). I use aIso use dual port Intel gigabit NICs lag'd together. have (2) 160GB 2.5" laptop drives in a ZFS mirror for my root filesystem. I have (9) 2TB hard drives that are a mix of Hitachi 5K3000's and Seagate ST2000DL003's. On my machine I get sequential write speeds of 525MB/s and reads of 632MB/s, so it's more than fast enough for home use
    Last edited by rubylaser; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast