Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon CAPT not working "Ready to print", job registers as complete yet nothing prints

Beans

Arrow Canon CAPT not working "Ready to print", job registers as complete yet nothing prints

As the title says, my jobs registers as completed but nothing gets printed!

I have an LBP6300dn. The drivers i am using is compiled for amd64.

If i run
    PHP Code:
    sudo captstatusui -P LBP6300dn 
    It reports "Ready to print". But nothing gets printed!

I have googled this matter for three days and each time i've gotten a little further - but right now i am stuck. Please help me!

Beans

Re: Canon CAPT not working "Ready to print", job registers as complete yet nothing pr

Please respond - i can also clean my printer through the captstatusui. It will print a clean-page.

Beans

Re: Canon CAPT not working "Ready to print", job registers as complete yet nothing pr

Hello,

I have an LBP6300dn. The drivers i am using is compiled for amd64.
    Where this driver downloading from, which version # ?
    Could you tell us the main steps of the installation procedure you have followed ?
    Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sivella View Post
    Hello,

Where this driver downloading from, which version # ?
    Could you tell us the main steps of the installation procedure you have followed ?
    Thanks.
    It is v2.20

I used this script
    https://github.com/raducotescu/CanonCAPTdriver

Beans

OK, but this script is quite "old" now, and as far as I know it is not updated since Ubuntu 11.04. There are some issues with 12.04 which are not managed by the script.

The CAPT driver v2.20 is OK. If you have succeed to install the 2 packages cndrvcups-common (first) and cndrvcups-capt without any error message you could keep it.

Here is a way to install your LBP6300n :
    It could seem a bit hard, but don't worry, and come back if you have any question.

Firts, in : System Settings --> Printing
    Remove any printer(s).

If you have run the script, remove the auto-start for daemon ccpd created by the script :
    sudo update-rc.d -f ccpd remove
    1) Create the following directories/file if they are missing:
    sudo mkdir /var/ccpd
    sudo mkfifo /var/ccpd/fifo0
    sudo mkdir /var/captmon
    2) In 12.04 there is a new way to manage multiarch, and it doesn't comply with Canon CAPT driver. So you have to install "by hand" the 11.10 (onieric) ia32-libs package. Take care the ia32-libs package in the 12.04 depots is a dummy/transition, it doesn't work.
    Install the dependences needed :
    lib32asound2,
    lib32ffi6,
    lib32bz2-1.0,
    lib32gcc1,
    lib32stdc++6,
    lib32z1,
    lib32ncurses5,
    lib32ncursesw5,
    libc6-i386,
    You can use the 12.04 version they work...
    Download and install the ia32-libs package
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/ia32-libs

Now you must lock this version to avoid update...
    echo "ia32-libs hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    3) Register the printer:
    sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP6300 -m CNCUPSLBP6300CAPTK.ppd -v ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E
    4) Register the printer with ccpd daemon:
    sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP6300 -o /dev/usb/lp0
    5) Start ccpd daemon:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd start
    6) Test install:
    captstatusui -P LBP6300
    will open the Statusmonitor window. If the message "Ready to print" is displayed --> all is OK.
    Try to print something.

In System Settings --> Printing set your LBP6300 as default (right click on LBP6300 icon)
    Probably on next boot, a "new" LBP6300-2 will appear. Don't worry about that and ignore it (the default is LBP-6300).

If it works well, I will explain you how to manage automatically ccpd daemon.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Sivella; May 23rd, 2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Typo error correction

Beans

If it works well, I will explain you how to manage automatically ccpd daemon.

Good luck.
    Thank you for the response, but still it just shows up as completed but nothing gets printed. See attached screenshot

EDIT: I found this in /var/log/cups/error_log:

erik@workstationubuntu:~$ cat /var/log/cups/error_log | grep "21170"
    I [26/May/2012:00:02:13 +0200] [Job 59] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt3 (PID 21170)
    D [26/May/2012:00:02:14 +0200] PID 21170 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt3) did not catch or ignore signal 13.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thecopy; May 25th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Beans

OK, we will try to cancel and restart a new install with the Canon drivers from the PPA mickael-gruz.

1) Remove the 2 printers LBP6300 and LBP6300-2 (System settings --> Printing)

2) Purge the Canon drivers:
    sudo apt-get purge cndrvcups*
    3) Download and install transitional package "gs-esp" :4) Download and install from the PPA depot the 2 packages :5) Restart cups :
    sudo service cups restart
    Then go back to my previous post ---> 3) Register the printer:

Hope it will works ...

Beans

Talking Re: Canon CAPT not working "Ready to print", job registers as complete yet nothing pr

Hope it will works ...
    It did! Thank you very much Sivella! I use the printer often and it's expremely nice to be able to print directly from Ubuntu and not having to dual boot into Windows!

Why did the gs-esp package make it work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Very good news

Why did the gs-esp package make it work?
    This dummy package gives compatibility between the old gs-esp (used by Canon) and ghostscript (the new one) used by Ubuntu. So during drivers installation, they "think" Ubuntu used gs-esp ...

So now here is the way to "auto-manage" ccpd daemon.
    see my post#6 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1982917

It will work

Beans

Hello thecopy,

Due to a new cups update, it seems that usblp module is now blacklisted (like it was with 11.10).
    So the printer is not mounted in /dev/usb.

The solution is to cancel this blacklist.

Edit this file : /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf

Comment (#) the line : blacklist usblp
    Here is my file :
    # cups talks to the raw USB devices, so we need to blacklist usblp to avoid
    # grabbing them
    #blacklist usblp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast