Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube Amplifiers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Tube Amplifiers

Back in 1987 or 88 I sold my Quad II rig in order to buy my first PC, I wish I still had it
    The electrostatic speakers where awesome but you needed a large room because they had to be 3 feet away from the wall to get the bass to reflect properly.
    The picture on Wikipedia is just of one channel, there was an identical amp for the other.
    You would have to spend a big chunk of change to buy that system today.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Electroacoustics

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Back in 1987 or 88 I sold my Quad II rig in order to buy my first PC, I wish I still had it
    The electrostatic speakers where awesome but you needed a large room because they had to be 3 feet away from the wall to get the bass to reflect properly.
    The picture on Wikipedia is just of one channel, there was an identical amp for the other.
    You would have to spend a big chunk of change to buy that system today.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Electroacoustics
    Quad II you can build at home, speakers probably not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Those are some really cool amps - what kind of mics are in your collection?
    I have a Neumann KM56 from 1960 and a couple of KM53's from around the same time period. I have a few Telefunken V72's that came, I believe, from an old East German radio broadcast console as well as some newer ART tube mic amps that intentionally starve the plate voltage to get some "toob" warmth. They're not bad; especially considering that they are the only item listed here not worth more than my car!

I should say, though, that by no small margin my favourite mics have no tubes in them at all: They are Stephen Sank modified ribbon mics. They're abhorrently delicate and therefore never get taken out of the studio (I do some remote recordings from time to time...) but they (ribbon mics in general) are head and shoulders above even the Neumanns in a lot of applications. They need loads and loads and loads of clean gain, though, which usually rules out tube mic amps. :^)
    Last edited by uc50_ic4more; March 25th, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
    --
    uc50_ic4more

Beans

No tube amps, just solid state. Got a 3-yr-old Sony AV receiver for my amp. http://store.sony.com/p/STR-DH500/en/p/STRDH500

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My dusty, unused amateur radio station is a tube-type Drake B-line transmitter/receiver pair.
    FWIW, my 1500W lasers at work use a solid-state tube.

Hoping to acquire a tube-type guitar amp someday...
    Last edited by Iowan; March 27th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    I had a Fender Pro Re Reverb. I REALLY loved it.

I had to sell it when I moved to Texas

Both state solid and digital amps have come such a long way, that sometimes I forget and think there's no significant difference... until you hear a good tube amp again

Best Regards.

PS: these days I'm playing on a small practice amp: 40 watts Vox Valvetronix.
    We are in the Lewisville/McKinney area - we are about to start going to the jams again to test and show amps - find us on Facebook and friend us so you can keep up with us locally:

www.facebook.com/DeadwoodAmps
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Hmm, tube amps are really only worth the trouble if you make the tubes yourself. Otherwise, there is no physical reason why you cannot build the exact same thing using MOSFETs.

However, for all you audiophiles, I have some wonderfully warm sounding low skin effect directional monster cables for sale...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Hmm, tube amps are really only worth the trouble if you make the tubes yourself. Otherwise, there is no physical reason why you cannot build the exact same thing using MOSFETs.

However, for all you audiophiles, I have some wonderfully warm sounding low skin effect directional monster cables for sale...

A number of amplifier companies tried marketing MOSFET guitar amplifiers and they never took off as a replacement for tubes although they are still in use . Weather they sound as good is subjective, but many guitar players want nothing to do with them . I owned a Fender solid state amplifier and it sounded much different than the tube amp I replaced it with and for me it was the right choice .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Unfortunately there is a distinct and particular sound that can only be achieved with vacuum tubes.

It is easy to build a circuit that simply amplifies the sound - simple.

But to have a circuit that is actually part of the instrument - or that influences the sound is ways that solid state circuits cannot - is an experience that unless experienced personally - can never be duplicated.

Some get close - but there really is no substitute for well made tube amplifiers for guitar, bass, music recording and music play back in the home.

Vacuum tubes may seem old fashioned to some - but you can't get that sound without them.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro

Years ago I had a Marshall 100w head and Marshall 4x12" speaker cab. monstrous rig. I'm now saving up for a Matamp GT40.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12