Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Dual boot on 128gig possible?

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    128gb sounds like a ssd, don't put swap on a ssd
    Look at this
    http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

In short, in the section about the "Rogue Data Recorder", the author relates how he had calculated that if a program were to be writing data constantly at the highest rate to a 64GB SSD, it would take about 50 years to reach the limit of the write endurance.

Given that a modern system with a "normal" amount of RAM and during "normal" use barely ever has to use the swap space, I don't think there is a real problem.
    Michael

Beans

IMO, swap takes up significant space on a ssd (4gb/128gb vs 4gb/320gb) and OP's going to be pretty space-tight already.

If it's rarely used, why have it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So don't use 4 GB of swap. Use 2 GB.

Honestly... with modern systems and the copious amounts of RAM... when was the last time you used *any* significant amount of swap? For most people the answer is very rarely or never.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by NightsShadeQueen View Post
    IMO, swap takes up significant space on a ssd (4gb/128gb vs 4gb/320gb)
    Where did the OP mention having a second drive?

If it's rarely used, why have it?
    In fact, it is quite likely that the system would run without any swap. For most usage, 1GB would be more than enough.

If the system needs to be able to hibernate, the swap needs to be a little larger (a couple of MB) than the installed RAM. The hibernate function writes the contents of RAM to the swap space in order to be able to re-instate it later.

and OP's going to be pretty space-tight already.
    With 128GB. My last desktop, which I used up until about 5 years ago, had two drives for a total of 16GB...

Space and lack thereof is relative. 128GB is enough to get two installs going quite comfortably. If the OP has need for storage more than the machine allows, then an external drive is likely the answer. I would suggest that before changing the 128GB internal, which I assume is the one that the machine came with, for a larger internal. There are many ways to get to a desired outcome, however.
    Michael

Beans

do you need to put Ubuntu on your SSD? What Ubuntu apps will you be running in a hurry? Perhaps you will want it on SSD but think about how you will use the Windows partition (space for intensive games for example)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toriku View Post
    do you need to put Ubuntu on your SSD? What Ubuntu apps will you be running in a hurry? Perhaps you will want it on SSD but think about how you will use the Windows partition (space for intensive games for example)
    Im currently running the configuration OP mentioned, with my win 7 installation taking up about 70GB and Ubuntu 16GB, still have space to spare.

One reason for installing Ubuntu on my SSD is to reduce the amount of time needed to boot up.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One reason FOR swap is that the OP said they were looking at a new laptop. IF they want to hibernate they must have swap.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think he should have 1GB swap

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

a 1gb swap would normally be enough for the average user while running. However, since they are looking at a laptop, and they might want to hibernate, it now becomes a matter of a minimum size of the physical memory size plus 100k or so to allow for overhead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12