Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Gnome bugs?

Beans

Ubuntu Gnome bugs?

I read that Ubuntu Trusty has a lot of bugs and with Gnome, probably as well?

I think I found one. I cannot easily rename files (on my other - 'external' drive). When I try to rename a file, the name goes 'blank' (white) and I cannot see anything that I type. Wtheck?

Is this a well known bug? The other thing that seems to happen is that another file adjacent to it gets renamed instead. This is really annoying. I had to boot up another OS to rename the files.

Edit: P.S. It only happens with my external drive. I don't have this problem with other distros I've used meaning this is a new problem. But, no matter what I did, the same issue occurs. If I try renaming a file in my home directory or some place on the OS drive, it works as it should. I have no idea what to even google if this is a bug in trusty. Or maybe it's a new bug? It's definitely a bug - it reoccurs each time.
    Last edited by ubunt72; January 12th, 2014 at 03:52 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Gnome bugs?

I just tried the above with renaming a few files on my external drive with no issues. I as well use Ubuntu Gnome.

Beans

Are you fully updated?

If not I'd suspect this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1266961

Beans

I believe I am. I am using Nautilus 3.8.2. The file manager is called Nautilus? Does Unity do this as well? There is no indication of what the program is called. Strange. I'm not as familiar with Gnome. It's called 'Files' but there's a blurb about Nautilus in the License description.

Beans

Gnome-shell is at the latest showing in the repo, at 3.8.4-0buntu7. Problem still occurs. Trying to rename any file (either in FS or a window) on the other drive results in the text disappearing and just 'white space' there and if you type, nothing is shown. It looks related to the error in the link posted, above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubunt72 View Post
    Gnome-shell is at the latest showing in the repo, at 3.8.4-0buntu7. Problem still occurs. Trying to rename any file (either in FS or a window) on the other drive results in the text disappearing and just 'white space' there and if you type, nothing is shown. It looks related to the error in the link posted, above.
    I'll check this out myself soon. It may be a different bug.

Before I try could you tell me what file system is in use on the external drive?

I generally still use FAT32 on my flash drives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would not say that Trusty is buggy. No. Not at all. Do not forget that Trusty is the development branch that will become Ubuntu 14.04 and it is important that "bugs" be identified and fixed before it becomes Ubuntu 14.04. So, see bug reports not as an indication that something is buggy but as an indication that people are working to create a stable release.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the term "Trusty" will apply also to the development branches of the flavours, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu and Ubuntu Gnome as well as Ubuntu Touch and the core applications that come with it.

Ubuntu Gnome is in the same situation as Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu and that is having to deal with bugs in the desktop environment/user interface which may be Gnome shell, Xfce, Kde and Lxde as appropriate. Ubuntu avoids those bugs. How many bugs are upstream bugs but Ubuntu gets the blame.

Regards.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'll check this out myself soon. It may be a different bug.

Before I try could you tell me what file system is in use on the external drive?

I generally still use FAT32 on my flash drives.
    Sorry, I took so long to follow up. The drive is using ext3. It's not a flash drive but a legacy HDD in an enclosure and attached via eSATA.

I use ext4, obviously, with the OS and would if I start from scratch with a new 'data' HDD. Not sure why a different file system would cause any trouble like what is happening, though.
    Last edited by ubunt72; January 14th, 2014 at 04:28 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubunt72 View Post
    Sorry, I took so long to follow up. The drive is using ext3. It's not a flash drive but a legacy HDD in an enclosure and attached via eSATA.

I use ext4, obviously, with the OS and would if I start from scratch with a new 'data' HDD. Not sure why a different file system would cause any trouble like what is happening, though.
    That's OK, I still have several external drives that are formatted NTFS, ext2, and ext3. In fact some of my internal data partitions are still ext3

Sheesh, I still have some old external enclosures that are USB 1.1

Anyway I've tried a lot of renaming scenarios with Nautilus 3.8.2 and 3.10.1 and the only problems I see are theme related. Like here's just one example:

Screenshot from 2014-01-14 03:15:01.png

You'll notice that it's almost impossible to see the .png and some themes are even worse

I've really not found a theme that works well in Ubuntu GNOME Trusty yet. Does any of this make sense?

I assume that the theme devs simply need time to catch up with the latest gtk changes.

Beans

What do you use for screenshots in Gnome? I could display what I see and post it? I cannot really see yours, sorry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast