Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please try this.

By the way, ndiswrapper always requires XP drivers.
    hmm... that is why is was complaining about some missing symbols when I tried with Windows 7 driver.

I tried with the version you attached but again there is a kernel panic. I also tried Win XP X64 version from the latest version of the driver and it has the same issue. Along with the call trace I see a line which says:

BUG: scheduling while atomic: kworker/u:5/65/0x10000200
    Pid:65, comm: kworker/u:5 Tainted: P D C O 3.2.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu

Could this happen because I installed 'dkms' package and deps that I downloaded manually (not using apt-get and not checking if it is for 12.04.1 LTS 64-bit)?
    Last edited by winwiz; November 20th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by winwiz View Post
    Could this happen because I installed 'dkms' package and deps that I downloaded manually (not using apt-get and not checking if it is for 12.04.1 LTS 64-bit)?
    It could very well be. Can you correct that? Either hook up the ethernet temporarily and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall dkms
    Or, if that's not an option, remove the debs you installed and download and install new ones with respect to architecture, version, etc.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, as the lady says.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Or, if that's not an option, remove the debs you installed and download and install new ones with respect to architecture, version, etc.
    I downloaded the DVD version of 12.04.1 LTS (64-bit [amd64]) and re-installed Ubuntu. Now the only package missing was 'ndiswrapper-dkms'.

I downloaded and installed the correct version from here but still I get a kernel panic as soon as I do 'modprobe ndiswrapper'.

Might have something to do with NDIS or the WLAN driver on a SMP 64-bit CPU (4 cores)??

On Windows 7 (another machine) with AMD Dual Core 64-bit, I am able to scan for networks using the same adapter.

Any other go? Is there a patch (by 3rd party or a dev) which I can apply to the Linux driver source code for resolving this bug?

Beans
    Distro

Might have something to do with NDIS or the WLAN driver on a SMP 64-bit CPU (4 cores)??
    Indeed.

Are there any interesting messages here after a kernel panic and reboot?
    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/dmesg.0 | grep ndis
    sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep ndis
    ndiswrapper -l
    Depending on what we see, you could:

*Compile the latest ndiswrapper 1.58-rc1; or
    *Try 32-bit; or
    *Try a different wireless device.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I tried this same device in Linux Mint 13 which is a derivative of ubuntu 12.04 and it works. Just plug it in and the default drivers works. Where as in Ubuntu the same driver keeps asking for the password. Strange.

Beans

Chili, I thank you. I followed the instructions you gave to people on this post and another, and got kinda frustrated. Then I used ndiswrapper and the Windows driver and it works perfectly. You truly are a master at this.

--Whitehat

Beans

Wow! I just received my payday! Thank you for your kind comments. I'm very glad it's working.
    Chilli, I also want to say thank you for your patience and thoroughness in this 'tutorial'/problem solving exercise. My Netgear USB N150 is now working on my old TPG laptop (Arima W720-K8M)... I was worried I was going to have to go back to clunky XP from Lubuntu 12.04 but everything is great. It is forums and communities like this that make playing on linux so much fun!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your nice comments and enjoy Ubuntu!

Beans

Installing USB G54/N150 Adapter on Ubuntu 12.04

I have Ubuntu 12.04. I am trying to get my Netgear n-150 micro usb adapter to work. I successfully installed ndiswrapper by going to the software center and installing the following:

1. ndisgtk
    2. ndiswrapper-source
    3. ndiswrapper-dkms
    4. ndiswrapper-common
    5. ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

I now I no longer receive the “FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found” error message. Using the ndisgtk application, I tried to install the following windows drivers:

1. netrtwlanu.inf
    2. RTLBt.inf

1. In each case I received an “Invalid Driver” error message. So my question is which specific window driver do I need to install for the micro Netgear n-150 usb adapter? I was thinking that I need to install the windows driver “netrtwlanu.inf”.

Beans
    Distro

In each case I received an “Invalid Driver” error message. So my question is which specific window driver do I need to install for the micro Netgear n-150 usb adapter?
    You need the XP driver appropriate to your architecture, either 32- or 64-bit. Confirm:
    Code:
    arch
    If yours is a 32-bit system (i686), I'd try the drivers I attached in post #46 above. Then be sure to add the step I suggested in post #52.

If yours is a 64-bit system (x86_64), I probably have something I could attach.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast