Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectrum Emulator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Spectrum Emulator

I just installed Spectemu from the repository.

Typing spectemu into the terminal doesn't do anything. Does anyone know the command to get it to work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Spectrum Emulator

Do you have any files which represents games? If I remember correctly, you normally need to load a program into these emulators for them to run. I'm not sure if you'll get the old spectrum prompt with basic built-in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was planning to download Tir-na-nog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Try going to the console, enter the place where you have the roms and type "Spectemu rom_name"

That should do it...

Biggus is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Dude, I think the command you are looking for is xspect.

I'm trying to 'load up' an ancient old game called 'Chaos', and I've used

xspect -tzx Chaos.tzx
    tzx is an option whereby you specify the type of tape image (or disk if you were posh enough to have a +3)

xspect -help
    gives you more options.

Oh, and incidentaly, don't use .tzx files, they take an eternity to load, I'm currently getting the bleeeee-sccrshhhhhhhhh bleeee-schreeeeeeeeeee thing happening for a good couple of minutes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Dude, I think the command you are looking for is xspect.

I'm trying to 'load up' an ancient old game called 'Chaos', and I've used

tzx is an option whereby you specify the type of tape image (or disk if you were posh enough to have a +3)

gives you more options.

Oh, and incidentaly, don't use .tzx files, they take an eternity to load, I'm currently getting the bleeeee-sccrshhhhhhhhh bleeee-schreeeeeeeeeee thing happening for a good couple of minutes.
    that game has to be one of the best ever created - there are a number of re-makes out there and a few places where you can play the original online. Check out:

http://chaos.ffnet.org/
    or
    http://chaosgroove.wordpress.com/ (a fairly faithfull but improved remake)

Hope that helps!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Try running spectaculator in wine, failing that just go to the world of spectrum website and play the games in their java emulator.

btw I have about 50,000 speccy games, its mind boggling how many they made

Beans

There's a shortcut in Spectemu to load games quickly. No game has to take an age to load. Type in xspect to bring up the emulator, then when the window appears with the Sinclair start screen, you can press ctrl and h for the instructions you can use. It's actually a very easy emu to use, even though it has no GUI.

I'll pop back later when I've got the time to help you use it if I can. I've got to take the kiddie to school at the mo! But Spectemu is actually pretty good imho, and I've played more than a few games on it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Im from sheffield originally, did ya used to swap games on c90s?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inversekinetix View Post
    Im from sheffield originally, did ya used to swap games on c90s?
    Hiya. Cool! What's it like living in Japan? A world away from scruffy old Sheffield I bet, you lucky thing!

I was lucky enough to be born right into the Spectrum glory days, so of course I swapped those old C90's. I still had a few up until recently, and then I gave the whole thing away to a charity. It was a Spectrum Plus anyway, and wasn't my original rubber keyed one that had long since broken and been thrown away. Ah well, luckily I have this excellent emu for Linux!

For the chap that was struggling to use it, this might come in useful. Download your zipped up games, and extract them somewhere. You'll notice that the folders you extract contain little files with .tgz, .z80, .sna extensions and a couple more. These are what you need and Spectemu can deal with all of them.

Open a terminal and type xspect, then space, then drop in the .sna or whatever into the terminal. This'll put the full path to the game into the terminal. Press enter, and you'll go straight to the game if it's a snapshot. If it's a .tap tape file or similar, you'll get the Sinclair start screen. Press J for LOAD, and then ALT and 2 twice. This'll give you the classic Speccy LOAD "". Press enter. The Spectrum screen goes grey. Then press CTRL and O (the letter not the number) to 'play the tape' and the game will load up "old school" (ie. will take ages!). You can speed up things by pressing CTRL and Y.

This should sort you out I reckon. It's a bit tricky for beginners, and had me stumped for a while so I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast