Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karmic [9.10] issues with volume control, Master/PCM/LFE, and volume threshold

Beans

Karmic [9.10] issues with volume control, Master/PCM/LFE, and volume threshold

Just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) and am having sound issues like many others.

Symptoms:
    Changing the system tray volume control doesn't affect the speaker volume at all, until I set it to 30% or below, at which point the speakers completely stop producing any sound
    Using gnome-alsamixer, watched what happens when I lower volume: until the threshold, Master is dropping, then at that 30% point (when Master hits 0), PCM and LFE begin to drop. At volume control 0, all three of them are at 0.
    Checked ALSA drivers (up to date), deleted and reinstalled PulseAudio (no change at any point in the process)
    Curiously, the minimum volume threshold is still there when I plug in headphones (through the headphone jack), but the volume control changes the sound output; gnome-alsamixer continues to do the exact same things as described above.

I will be happy to provide specs or run diagnostics if needed. My soundcard is a Sigmatel STAC9200 and I'm running Karmic on a Dell Inspiron notebook.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Karmic [9.10] issues with volume control, Master/PCM/LFE, and volume threshold

Same problem here. Same result in gnome-alsamixer.
    Only for me, I would say the minimum threshold is more around 10%.

I'm on Dell 9400 laptop. Sound trough the speakers are always to loud. With headphones it's normal (with 10% treshold, but it isn't too loud at 15%).

The problem would be solved for me if I could change the volume buttons to only control the PCM channel instead of Masterchannel. (In 9.04: Master also lowered LFE wich is my subwoofer and should always be full volume) I did change it in 9.04, but can't find the option in 9.10.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Karmic [9.10] issues with volume control, Master/PCM/LFE, and volume threshold

I've got an identical problem.

Looks like the Master and PCM controls are flipped. Master controls the treble and the PCM controls the volume level.

I'm on a Inspiron E1705 and a Sigmatel STAC9200.

Thanks to all!

Beans

Hi!
    I too have a DELL Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the STAC9200. I've solved this problem by making some changes in the file "/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common". Try this:

Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common
    You will find those lines near the bottom of the file:

Code:
    [Element PCM]
    switch = mute
    volume = merge
    override-map.1 = all
    override-map.2 = all-left,all-right
    So, add theses lines BEFORE:

Code:
    [Element Master]
    switch = mute
    volume = ignore
    and these lines AFTER:

Code:
    [Element LFE]
    switch = mute
    volume = ignore
    You should finally have:

Code:
    [Element Master]
    switch = mute
    volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
    switch = mute
    volume = merge
    override-map.1 = all
    override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

[Element LFE]
    switch = mute
    volume = ignore
    Save and quit. Then restart (restarting Pulseaudio isn't enough).

Using Fn + PageUp / PageDown or the media buttons now only modifies the "PCM" channel (have a look on alsamixer).

Beans

Thanks geopteryx!

That did it!

Got to love the Ubuntu community!

Beans

Thanks! Solved it for me too. (also DELL Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the STAC9200)
    Sound looks not as loud as in 9.04 though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jixop View Post
    Thanks! Solved it for me too. (also DELL Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the STAC9200)
    Sound looks not as loud as in 9.04 though.
    Loudness issues solved: Some slider in the Sound preferences panel wasn't set correctly (anymore).
    (It was the volume of Exaile in the 'Applications' tab.)

Beans

Worked perfectly for me too, is there a bug report for this?

Beans

Ditto for me on another Inspiron 9400. Looks like this is very specific to the E1705 and 9400, which are essentially the same model. Thanks for the tip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I wouldnt say this was a Dell only issue

I had many problems with this when I installed 9.10 and after some time doing this and that (thread was on launchpad) it never worked for me. Did the switch and merge thing and didnt fix it either. But worser than that, I had a noise that sounded at all times that was driving me crazy and since this is my HTPC... bad sound is a big issue.

So, after awhile and with no other kind of help available... back to 9.04 with perfect audio (well, I still have a tick every 10 secs when playing HD stuff, but other than that... perfect).

ELP
    HTPC: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 mobo, Amd A8-5600k APU, 6GB RAM, 120GB Crucial SSD Ubuntu Mate 15.04, 500GB Windows XP SP3, HDMI Video, 5.1ch Analog Audio, XBMC/Kodi

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast