Thread: Radeon HD 7870: Taking screenshots, desktop recording

Beans

Radeon HD 7870: Taking screenshots, desktop recording

Hey everyone! This is pretty much what I'm looking for, I can't take screenshots because of my drivers as it only gives me a black screen with just the cursor, which are the fglrx proprietary drivers. Everyone says that this isn't fixable, this is important to the issue I'm having because I can't record my desktop either, I'm using SimpleScreenRecorder so I can stream to Twitch.TV. I get the same result for my output when I record my desktop, that being black screen with only the cursor.

I'm basically looking for a driver that gives decent 3D performance that will also let me screen cast. Or maybe even a workaround for fglrx users! And while I'm here, I get black windows too, like the Steam window will be all black, no buttons showing, but they're clickable, as I had to learn to memorize where buttons are because of this. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Are there good AMD Open Source drivers around?

For which AMD card?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Oh, sorry about that! I'm using the Radeon HD 7870. I tried disabling the proprietary drivers but my computer got the "Check Battery Status... [OK]" hang so I reinstalled the post-release updates drivers through the recovery terminal to fix it, I was using the experimental ones before.

P.S. I should probably mention that I'm using ElementaryOS Luna, based on Ubuntu 12.04. This issue happens to all Ubuntu users apparently, according to my research.

Beans

I'm using a Radeon 6670 with the FGLRX stable driver installed through System Settings. Apart from issues with Steam, everything else works fine (including taking screenshots & desktop recording). Is the issue only with Elementary Luna?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sena-akada View Post
    I'm using a Radeon 6670 with the FGLRX stable driver installed through System Settings. Apart from issues with Steam, everything else works fine (including taking screenshots & desktop recording). Is the issue only with Elementary Luna?
    I'll take a look on Google again, but the most common answer I got was that it was a FGLRX bug. I never took a screenshot when I was using 13.04 before trying eOS so I believed that it was simply an eOS issue until I googled it. Maybe I can use a console command to capture a shot and show the output if it's not good.

EDIT: My apologies, this is, in fact, an ElementaryOS issue. After a closer look while googling the issue, it seems that ElementaryOS' Window Manager, Gala, is the culprit. Sorry for wasting a thread, I may have figured that one out on my own if I spent more time on it, I noticed the issue this morning and wasn't patient enough when I got home from work.

The only thing I could think of is getting rid of Gala and replacing it with Compiz. Gala has a launchpad so I could just compile the source if I want it back.

EDIT2: Using Compiz fixed the issue! All I had to do was install Compiz, then add 'compiz --replace' in startup applications.
    Last edited by ty4; September 10th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Radeon HD 7870: Taking screenshots, desktop recording

Good, then please mark the thread 'solved'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.