Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba fan not working

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Toshiba fan not working

Quote Originally Posted by finito View Post
    too bad Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has not fixed this issue.
    did you try other distro? CBR_Rob did solve the prob on linuxmint?
    squeeze it and release it =)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Ah, the "Toshiba fan with Linux issue" again.

Toshiba apparently has a distaste for Linux. The fan control works just fine in Windows, since Toshiba wanted it that way...

I still see this as an active discussion on launchpad.

I'll see if I can find a resolution for the kernel.
    Hi,

I have also problem with fan not running in ubuntu/linux. Will the dev help us with this issue? Toshiba want windows only for their machine?

If you have resolution, I appreciate it in advance. I want linux but High temp due to fan (not working on linux) issue, I can't use ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem with Acer Aspire 5720z. I was hoping they would fix this with 10.04. I had the same issue on 9.10. I don't think the devs know about our issue. I don't know how to submit bug reports through proper channels.

Beans

This was almost doing my head in.
    Thought about having to run Windows or sell my new laptop.
    Same fan problems with Fedora, PClinuxOS
    Here is what works for me. Toshiba L500. 64bit Ubuntu 10.04

first. sudo apt-get install sensors-applet
    next. sudo sensors-detect

next. answer yes to everything.

exit then restart computer.

next. sudo gedit /etc/default/grub and then change

GRUB_CMLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to read

..."quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

next. sudo update-grub to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg

exit then restart computer.

MY FAN NOW STOPS AND STARTS WHEN IT SHOULD

Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by c00lwaterz View Post
    did you try other distro? CBR_Rob did solve the prob on linuxmint?
    Actually I ended up not solving this issue. It worked awesome on the live cd but did not work again once installed to the hd. I ended up taking Linux off the Toshiba and am loving Mint on my Dell. I am thinking of trying a non Debian distro or the 10.4 Ubuntu on the Toshiba but from everything I have read it is a kernel issue. This does seem like a pretty common issue for a large group of people so I would hope a fix is in the works or coming soon. Unfortunately I do not know any programming yet so I'd have no clue about creating a solution. But I would not mind installing and testing a possible solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most of us having issue with high temperature/overheat are toshiba owners? I notice that most cases are toshiba. I have installed ubuntu but no luck in fixing the prob. I just use windows and if there is new help, I try again and again but no luck again.

I hope the next version or update will help us all with this issue.

I also tried the following with no luck:

Ubuntu 9.1
    Ubuntu 10.04 final release
    LinuxMint 8
    PCBSD
    debian 5.04

All of them I have issue in high temperature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have just followed Ashima's advice and fan noticeably quieter. Watching cpu temps - seem ok around 50 deg C on both. CPU's not thrashing themselves either. If this continues to hold I owe you a BIG THANKS!! as I have spent hours researching how to stop my Toshiba Laptop from thrashing its fan and powering off at will.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bugger - CPU's within minutes shot up to around 80 deg C. Fan not compensating. Back to square one. Oh well. Will continue to watch for fix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyshine View Post
    Bugger - CPU's within minutes shot up to around 80 deg C. Fan not compensating. Back to square one. Oh well. Will continue to watch for fix.
    I have been searching for 6 months already for the fix. I have tried many solution but it doesn't work. I try many distros. Maybe it's toshiba. I mean when i am for linux and toshiba in google or alike, I don't see much. The results are just old and maybe toshiba is not good on support (not sure)? I have seen toshiba linux forum but it doesn't help. I also posted in their normal forum in toshiba, and no one replied. I keep looking for their customer service using email but they don't have any email. They only have numbers but maybe it will cost just to ask something if they support linux.

I am tired of hoping

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by c00lwaterz View Post
    I have been searching for 6 months already for the fix. I have tried many solution but it doesn't work. I try many distros. Maybe it's toshiba. I mean when i am for linux and toshiba in google or alike, I don't see much. The results are just old and maybe toshiba is not good on support (not sure)? I have seen toshiba linux forum but it doesn't help. I also posted in their normal forum in toshiba, and no one replied. I keep looking for their customer service using email but they don't have any email. They only have numbers but maybe it will cost just to ask something if they support linux.

I am tired of hoping
    Exactly why my Toshiba is staying with Vista. All future pc's I buy will be capable of running Linux. I am surprised with all the problems I have read about Toshiba fans not working that no developers have come up with a solution.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast