View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
811. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

550 67.82%
  • No

104 12.82%
  • Somewhat

157 19.36%
Page 93 of 184 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.

This how-to thread didn't just set out how to set up wireless security, it showed how to set up a wireless connection. Can the name of the permanent thread be changed from HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc. to HOW TO: Set UP Wireless Connections?

Looking at the list of people having problems with Network Manager - an application that should have been dropped from the distro - your what I regard as essential HOWTO might cut down on the pounding the forum is taking if people realized that it was not just about secure connections.

And by the way thanks for the HOWTO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello again wieman.

I foolishly decided to upgrade all my packages last night and it has resulted in no more wireless connections for me.

The problem appears to be that the ndiswrapper module is not inserted at boot. It's not listed with lsmod, anyway.

Therefore I have been trying to modprobe ndiswrapper. The first time I tried I got "invalid argument". I searched google for this and someone said they'd got it to work by installing ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils. I couldn't find -common in my repos, but I managed to install -utils.

With -utils installed I now get:

Code:
    Setting up ndiswrapper-utils (1.8-0ubuntu2) ...

patrick@inspiron-8200:~$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Segmentation fault
    patrick@inspiron-8200:~$
    Do you have any idea what I can do to get it working again?

Thanks for your help prior to today and any adivce - I had it working for several months!

mono.

EDIT: I just looked at lsmod again and ndiswrapper is now listed. Presumably because of the previous terminal command I mentioned where I got the segmentation fault... Still no wireless devices, though.
    Last edited by monomaniacpat; October 27th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

EDIT: Don't worry yourself for now. I've just tried using ndiswrapper on the liveCD and it seems to work, so I'll probably just use a fresh install.

Just found this in /var/log/messages:

Code:
    Oct 27 10:04:45 localhost kernel: [17179611.860000] apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
    Oct 27 10:04:45 localhost kernel: [17179611.860000] apm: overridden by ACPI.
    Oct 27 10:04:45 localhost loadndisdriver: loadndisdriver: main(544): version 1.9 doesn't match driver version 1.7 
    Oct 27 10:04:45 localhost kernel: [17179611.980000] ndiswrapper version 1.8 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
    Oct 27 10:04:45 localhost loadndisdriver: loadndisdriver: main(544): version 1.9 doesn't match driver version 1.7 
    Oct 27 10:04:45 localhost kernel: [17179612.016000] ndiswrapper version 1.8 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
    Oct 27 10:04:45 localhost kernel: [17179612.052000] ndiswrapper version 1.8 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
    Oct 27 10:04:46 localhost kernel: [17179612.380000] Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
    Last edited by monomaniacpat; October 27th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.

Beans

Ok, I am going good on this until the very end. When I run the "wpa_passprhase <myessid> <passphrase>" command I get.

bash: <My ssid>: event not found

Is there something you have to do first for it to work?

I am trying to connect to my router which is WPA, TKIP, SSID No broadcast, DHCP.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Please ignore my earlier posts. I have now reformatted and installed a fresh Gutsy Gibbon. On wireless now!

So that's the Linksys WPC11 V.4 working on Gutsy with Ndiswrapper and latest windows NET8180.inf driver. WPA-PSK.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckels550 View Post
    This how-to thread didn't just set out how to set up wireless security, it showed how to set up a wireless connection. Can the name of the permanent thread be changed from HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc. to HOW TO: Set UP Wireless Connections?

Looking at the list of people having problems with Network Manager - an application that should have been dropped from the distro - your what I regard as essential HOWTO might cut down on the pounding the forum is taking if people realized that it was not just about secure connections.

And by the way thanks for the HOWTO
    It is about wireless security, nothing else. Or isn't it? I don't really explain how you set up your network & wireless adapter, just how you add security. That's it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Startacus View Post
    Ok, I am going good on this until the very end. When I run the "wpa_passprhase <myessid> <passphrase>" command I get.

Is there something you have to do first for it to work?

I am trying to connect to my router which is WPA, TKIP, SSID No broadcast, DHCP.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks.
    Well, what is your ESSID (wireless network name)? The replace <myessid> with that and it ought to work.

E.g.:
    wpa_passprhase default 123456

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monomaniacpat View Post
    Please ignore my earlier posts. I have now reformatted and installed a fresh Gutsy Gibbon. On wireless now!

So that's the Linksys WPC11 V.4 working on Gutsy with Ndiswrapper and latest windows NET8180.inf driver. WPA-PSK.
    Sorry for the late reply. Glad you got it working. Gutsy's Ralink drivers did not work for you I reckon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Well, what is your ESSID (wireless network name)? The replace <myessid> with that and it ought to work.

E.g.:
    I do, I put my networks SSID instead of <myessid> and I get that error.

If I run the command "iwlist scan" The result under wlan1 is "No scan results."

If I set the Wireless Connection to "roaming" and then go to "Connect to other network" and enter in my information there. The icon switches to bars to show the signal strength but they are all empty and the "wpa_passphrase" command still doesn't work. I am really lost now.

I know the network works because I am typing this message on my XP laptop connected to the same network.

Beans

I have two rather weighted questions. First this how-to answered about as many questions as it inpired from myself.

Right now I'm using the Intel iwl4965 on my home network with WPA2 and it's shaky at best. Also I have to re-enter the PSK and restart the driver evey time I start the computer. Is there a way around this?
    Keep in mind that I installed no additional software for my network card to work. Using GUTSY

Further, I want to use LEAP w/ 802.11 WEP.

Essentially I want to continue using WPA2 on my home network, and I want to enter Credentials (LEAP) everytime I log on at work using WEP802.11

I'm guessing this might be a hassle have two networks and switching between them?

What options do i have, and which do you recommend?
    Looking forward to your thoughts.

Page 93 of 184 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast