Thread: How to find CPU serial number

Beans

How to find CPU serial number

Hi,

I am using win 7 Home Basic 64+ bit OS. I do not want to dismantle the pc and check the serial number of the cpu. Is there a tool that can do so? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to find CPU serial number

You could boot a live CD and then run lshw to see if that gives you the right information.

Code:
    sudo lshw -class processor

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That's a cool trick. Didn't know you could find the serial number with that. Well sort of...mine's funny:

Code:
    *-cpu                   
           description: CPU
           product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
           vendor: Intel Corp.
           physical id: 4
           bus info: cpu@0
           version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
           serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
           slot: LGA2011
           size: 1200MHz
           capacity: 4GHz
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 100MHz
           capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid cpufreq
           configuration: cores=6 enabledcores=6 threads=12
    Since I built it, I guess I'm the OEM. Now I have to think of a serial number, I guess....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    You could boot a live CD and then run lshw to see if that gives you the right information.

Code:
    sudo lshw -class processor
    Thanks for the reply. But I am a little confused here. Are you talking about Win 7 live CD? If yes, then I do not have one with me. If you are talking about a live CD of some Linux distro then I migh have one using which I can do the command you have talked about. I only have Win 7 installed on this HDD and no other OS. Thanks.

Hi,

Jus wondering if there are other commands to know the serial numbers of other parts in a pc namely HDD, motherboard, RAM etc. This can be really helpful when you do not have the sales receipt. Thanks.
    Last edited by howefield; September 4th, 2016 at 12:16 PM.

Beans

You can try one of the many system infor utilities in windows.
    These are all freeware http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...on-utility.htm

As for the CPU serial number that info might not be available to you. Post PIII cpu many manufacturers disabled this in the cpu or BIOS.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID#E..._Serial_Number

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    ...If you are talking about a live CD of some Linux distro then I migh have one using which I can do the command you have talked about...
    Yes, I was thinking in particular one of the Ubuntu Desktop (live) CDs. Other Linux distros have live CDs that might also be of use. There is no need to install, yet, just run the Live session.