Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Lynx Flash update today not working. Version 11.2.202

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Flash update today not working.

Thanks! it worked!!

its a shame it broke that bad in ubuntu in the first place...

....but you saved the day...

kudos to you

Beans

P.S. After downgrading to the latest working version (11.1.102.63) of packages adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-gtk (.deb files), one ought to “pin” these packages, in order to prevent automatic “updating” to the new bad version of adobe flash.

As described in an earlier thread:
    First install package dselect.
    Then type command “dselect” as root
    select option “Select” in the menu
    hit space bar to exit help
    hit /
    type in adobe-flashplugin, and hit return
    then hit shift+h (which will pin the highlighted package adobe-flashplugin), then exit;
    repeat the above for adobe-flash-properties-gtk.

When you now run Update Manager you will see these two packages automatically unchecked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry to be so slow on the uptake but I am having a bit of trouble installing the " fp_11.1.102.63_archive " file I just downloaded. Its unpacked on my desktop atm please could somebody possibly put the necessary terminal commands on here for me to enable the transfer of said file into the usr registry I have not worked out how to unpack tarballs and so far I haven't found a tutorial that makes sense to me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ortermagic View Post
    At he risk of completely exposing the inner workings of my browser I think I had better attatch another file which goes into some detail. I hope It helps one of you brainy people to unpick my problem
    There is something weird in your report.

As you can see, your system thinks the libflashplayer.so doesn't exist:

Code:
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so' (No such file or directory)
    However, Firefox detects it:

Code:
    [PLUGINS]
    libflashplayer.so:$
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so:$
    Did you copy the file manually for some reason?

Type about:plugins in the address bar and make sure flash is being detected. Also make sure your browser and the flash player have the same architecture, otherwise it won't work.

BTW, Adobe purged the last Flash beta from their server. To use Flash-Aid properly, I recommend selecting the stable flash version from the repos in the installation options or clicking "Check Update" in the extension menu before running the Wizard. Either way, it will install version 11.2.202.228, which is the problematic one.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to be so slow on the uptake but I am having a bit of trouble installing the " fp_11.1.102.63_archive " file I just downloaded. Its unpacked on my desktop atm please could somebody possibly put the necessary terminal commands on here for me to enable the transfer of said file into the usr registry I have not worked out how to unpack tarballs and so far I haven't found a tutorial that makes sense to me
    You can install it via Flash-Aid. You have downloaded a big tar.gz file from Adobe and unpacked it. Inside there were several other flash packages. Select the one according to your architecture, but don't unpack it. Just copy it, then open Flash-Aid Advanced Mode, select "Custom" in the installation options and paste the file in the field. Click the Script tab, then execute.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for helping me, I have been struggling with this on my own for far too long,
    I have tried both methods you offered but neither seem to work..Please see the attached
    hope it will become a little clearer...I do not think I manually moved anything, consciously !

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for helping me, I have been struggling with this on my own for far too long,
    I have tried both methods you offered but neither seem to work..Please see the attached
    hope it will become a little clearer...I do not think I manually moved anything, consciously !
    Now, post the report from the Help menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi lovinglinux here's the help report,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have just been made aware of this post ... Interesting!

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2012/02/ado...flash-for.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There seems to be some confusion between
    /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
    vs.
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer

Apparently some packages install the .so file in the former and others install it in the latter.

If you still don't have this working, it might be helpful to see exactly which flash packages you have installed. Please open a terminal window and type this command
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep flash
    and post the output. That will list all the packages that you have installed (or removed) that contain "flash" in their names.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast