You rock.

That is all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Don't report these kind of bugs against compiz - it's clearly an Intel driver bug. Read the guide thoroughly (Important Note -> Reporting Bugs) - you're using xorg-edgers, so you can't report bugs to Launchpad. You can report them upstream if you want, though.
    I think you've already told me twice that I can't report bugs to launchpad for this stuff, and I knew that already anyways. I didn't suggest reporting anything to Launchpad - however, the code is broken, and whoever writes it will care. So, yes: I will probably report it upstream (Ubuntu doesn't run the sole bug tracker in the universe & bugs in bleeding-edge code should be reported to the corresponding bug tracker). I appreciate that you're trying to keep cruft out of Launchpad, but this is becoming excessive and/or insulting.

On a more constructive note: Can you help me understand why this issue is "clearly" an intel driver bug? I'd rather not report it to the wrong upstream bug tracker if I can help it.

I thought I had fairly clearly shown (with limited resources - I have only this Intel machine available for testing) that the xserver-xorg-video-intel code is stable except in the case of wobbly windows (and in particular with shiver on mapping), and so it was actually a problem with that code (compiz's wobbly windows/shiver-on-mapping code). I guess that'd be easily proven false if it doesn't freeze with other graphics cards, but I didn't notice that anyone specifically tested that.
    Last edited by Mike.lifeguard; June 18th, 2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: gr

Beans

I have an intel 915 chipset and use the "optimal" configuration, performance has improved (2d firefox scrolling, 3d sauerbraten fps), and scrolling in firefox got a bit better when i disabled the suggested xorg options except the "greedy" one again. (i think it was actually disabling "uxa" that caused slight improvement). however, booting the new kernel i get nothing on the tty except a black screen. with the old kernel it still works. still worth it though, and i am optimistic i will fix the tty issue. could it be related to the manual "vga=792" setting i added to the grub entry?

EDIT: so here is the xorg.conf that works best for me, in combination with the "optimal" configuration:

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	#Option		"AccelMethod"			"uxa"
    	#Option		"EXAOptimizeMigration"		"true"
    	Option		"MigrationHeuristic"		"greedy"
    	#Option		"Tiling"			"true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    Last edited by Andreas1; June 18th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
    As you can see from my history, i was once an enthusiastic ubuntu user. I would hereby like to assert that i no longer recommend using ubuntu to anyone. I recommend using one of the many distributions that do not include ad-/spyware by default.

Beans

I have problem, my computer model is HP6720s, and when I install the newest version of the kenel, the Interner drivers deactivate by themself. I had to remove it to get my Internet back. What should I do to install the newest kernel and stay with the internet drive? :\

I got this from lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection (rev 03)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 03)
    10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just had a problem: could not start compiz after fresh mesa update. had to revert to manually downloaded mesa packadges one step back (should say they worked perfectly). I just got out from digging in logs - found nothing I could filter out like weird.
    Problem looked like (all i can tell, after all):
    1. updated
    2. Logging out to restart X-server
    3. Gnome flashscreen.
    4. empty (!) panel comes out.
    5. All screenlets jerk up, regardless their settings (part of them are on widget screen so they must not be in view).
    6. An thats all. No awn, still nothing on panel, transparent screenlets appear spotty and unreadable, no compiz effects, but system works - i can open any program via Alt-F2 or terminal screenlet which is not transparent as it should be - just while on black.
    Finally I was able to populate the gnome-panel through opening its Preferences (rightclick menu) and switching stretch option to and fro.
    But i could not: automatically got that all done after logon (at least!), and still no compiz effects, no normal screenlets.

Now I have everything back by downloading previous iteration of mesa stuff (6 packets) from ppa.launchpad*/xorg-edgers/* and dpkg -i 'ing them.

Does anyone had any issues with mesa-7-5-branch.39366ed9-0ubuntu0sarvatt packages?
    Last edited by cyper; June 18th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cyper View Post
    Just had a problem: could not start compiz after fresh mesa update...

Does anyone had any issues with mesa-7-5-branch.39366ed9-0ubuntu0sarvatt packages?
    So, what mesa code are you using now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas1 View Post
    ...booting the new kernel i get nothing on the tty except a black screen. with the old kernel it still works. still worth it though, and i am optimistic i will fix the tty issue. could it be related to the manual "vga=792" setting i added to the grub entry?
    Yes, remove that from the grub entry to fix your terminals and boot messages. I had the same problem, which led me to start http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7457110

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.lifeguard View Post
    So, what mesa code are you using now?
    Im currently using mesa packages *+mesa-7-5-branch.d027e8fe-0ubuntu0sarvatt, as the day before

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cyper View Post
    Im currently using mesa packages *+mesa-7-5-branch.d027e8fe-0ubuntu0sarvatt, as the day before
    Thanks - your wording was confusing because that's not the second-most-latest version, but rather the third-most-latest

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.lifeguard View Post
    Thanks - your wording was confusing because that's not the second-most-latest version, but rather the third-most-latest
    Ok, im not thoroughly sure that it is "second-latest" version of mesa - it is second-latest for me. *+mesa-7.6-* which is present on the PPA, is not currently a part of "bleeding-edge configuration". At least it isnt proposed for installation via apt-get on my computer. And *+mesa-7-5-branch.39366ed9-0ubuntu0sarvatt was uploaded on a PPA today at 6:25 AM (+2:00 GMT) - thats why i supposed it was the latest one
    Anyway i'm interested if someone can expand the situation with usefull comments..
    Thanks!

P.S.: Aha - i see, if you're talking about mesa-7.6: it is for Karmic. For Jaunty my wording seems to be correct.
    Last edited by cyper; June 18th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Page 84 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast