Thread: ubuntu 12.04 with AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series refresh rate issue ---maximum is 60

Beans

ubuntu 12.04 with AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series refresh rate issue ---maximum is 60

Hi all,

I found I can't change the refresh rate of AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series, the maximun is 60 which hurt my eyes. I searched long time and couldn't make it higher like 75.

Below is the detail:

root@admin:/etc/X11# xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 309mm x 174mm
    1366x768 60.0*+ 40.0
    1360x768 59.8 60.0
    1024x768 60.0
    800x600 60.3 56.2
    640x480 59.9
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

root@admin:/etc/X11# more xorg.conf
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "EnableRandR12" "false"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ubuntu 12.04 with AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series refresh rate issue ---maximum is

Make and model of monitor please. If it's a laptop, the same question

PS
    As your current resolution is 1366x768, I suspect that to be the max resolution of the screen and I also suspect that you will not be able to go higher than 60Hz in that case.
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; September 28th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: ubuntu 12.04 with AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series refresh rate issue ---maximum is

Do you have the proprietary AMD Catalyst package? It solved A LOT of problems for me and gives stats like monitor max refresh rate reported (60 hz for me).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Starcruiser322 View Post
    Do you have the proprietary AMD Catalyst package? It solved A LOT of problems for me and gives stats like monitor max refresh rate reported (60 hz for me).
    yes, I have installed newest driver and AMD Catalyst package. My graphic card is ATI HD 7450M.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Make and model of monitor please. If it's a laptop, the same question

PS
    As your current resolution is 1366x768, I suspect that to be the max resolution of the screen and I also suspect that you will not be able to go higher than 60Hz in that case.

Yes, it is a laptop, Dell N4050.

Beans
    Distro

OK, specs say that 1366x768 is the max resolution. Usually this implies that you will not be able to use higher vertical refresh rates. The only way is to reduce the resolution which maybe will allow to increase the vertical refresh rate.

Also, this is a lcd/led/tft and not a CRT. Refresh rate of 60 Hz on those should not hurt your eyes. It might be that fonts are too small to be comfortable to read?
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

OK, specs say that 1366x768 is the max resolution. Usually this implies that you will not be able to use higher vertical refresh rates. The only way is to reduce the resolution which maybe will allow to increase the vertical refresh rate.

Also, this is a lcd/led/tft and not a CRT. Refresh rate of 60 Hz on those should not hurt your eyes. It might be that fonts are too small to be comfortable to read?

Hi Wim,

Thank you for your prompt help, this is the first time I am using ubuntu insteading of Windows, In my impression, when using windows, I can set the refresh rate to 75. So I think there must be a way to set the laptop refresh rate to 75 in ubuntu also. For now I don't feel any uncomfortable,but for the long term, I am worring about my eyes

Beans
    Distro

Are you running dual boot? That would be the easy way to check. Untill proven wrong, I'm quite confident that "my thoughts" are more correct than "your impression"

Beans

Are you running dual boot? That would be the easy way to check. Untill proven wrong, I'm quite confident that "my thoughts" are more correct than "your impression"
    No dual boot, I only installed ubuntu .