Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation How can I fix my NTFS partition?

Hi All,

In attempting to shrink my NTFS drive to a smaller size, so I can dual boot my currnet Windows 7 with a brand new Ubuntu 12.10 (didn't want to use Wubi), I've somehow managed to stuff up the drive and what Windows can see.

Essentially, after shrinking it with a partition manager, Windows blue screens upon restarting. I shrank it while Windows was running (which is valid to my surprise, according to many Windows 7 & 8 dual boot HOW-TOs), and it said to restart to finish off the process.

Other partition managers I burnt to an ISO say it's a raw format. Ubuntu *trumpets blare* to the rescue; the live CD said I can see your NTFS partition sure no problem.

SO. Here's my issue. I'd like to recover my drive, so that Windows can boot again. Whether I then format or not, I'd like to get Windows running so I can do things like run steam and properly back-up... run other programs that can't just be copied over.

How do I fix my NTFS partition from an Ubuntu Live CD?

I've tried so far:
    • ntfsfix /mount/point/31415: Runs & exits fine; have tried with all parameters
    • ntfs-label /mount/point/34154 NEW_LABEL: Said sure no problem. Hasn't helped.
    • fsck /mount/point/3115: Said it can't find/run fsck.ntfs. I can't find that package either.

Help would be greatly appreciated!! I'll update this description with clarifications as they come.
    [mEo!]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I fix my NTFS partition?

Ubuntu will not be able to properly repair your NTFS drive. It is using NTFS-3G which is a compatible enough to function and read the drive, but not manipulate it the way you need it to.

You will need to repair your windows installation with your Windows disk. Does your blue screen say what file is actually missing? Can you boot into safe mode? To get to safe mode, rapidly tap the F8 key either immediately after the BIOS, or selecting Windows from ubuntus boot menu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    You will need to repair your windows installation with your Windows disk. Does your blue screen say what file is actually missing? Can you boot into safe mode? To get to safe mode, rapidly tap the F8 key either immediately after the BIOS, or selecting Windows from ubuntus boot menu.
    Unfortunately Windows doesn't even register there's an installation there, nor does it detect it as being a NTFS drive.

I've tried to use the Windows 7 recovery tools, including running chkdsk over the drive, but it doesn't mount it, nor can it browse it.
    [mEo!]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikesena View Post
    Unfortunately Windows doesn't even register there's an installation there, nor does it detect it as being a NTFS drive.

I've tried to use the Windows 7 recovery tools, including running chkdsk over the drive, but it doesn't mount it, nor can it browse it.

Ah.. thats because the windows Master Boot Record is no longer there. When you installed Ubuntu, GRUB overwrote the MBR.
    The windows disk checks the MBR the the existence of a windows installation.

Well, here is what I would do.

Try safe mode
    Read the blue screen to see what info you can pull from it to diagnose whats happening

Make a windows live cd. Google it.
    You can boot Windows XP from the cd rom and repair the ntfs partition from there.
    You will probably need a windows machine to make the disk so hopefully you have a friend or another computer

Beans
    Distro

Ah.. thats because the windows Master Boot Record is no longer there. When you installed Ubuntu, GRUB overwrote the MBR.
    I haven't actually installed Ubuntu yet; I'm only running off the live CD. Windows DOES attempt to boot, but it then blue screens during the start-up process. I'll try and read it tonight, but as usual, blue-screens are too fast & flicker.

The windows disk checks the MBR the the existence of a windows installation.

Well, here is what I would do.

Try safe mode
    Read the blue screen to see what info you can pull from it to diagnose whats happening

Make a windows live cd. Google it.
    You can boot Windows XP from the cd rom and repair the ntfs partition from there.
    You will probably need a windows machine to make the disk so hopefully you have a friend or another computer
    Have another laptop I can try and make this with, but I'm hoping there's another way I can recover the boot information. I'm surprised it gets as far as it does, it comes up with the logo and starts the orbs swirling etc. then blue screens.
    [mEo!]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you attempted Safe Mode?

Beans
    Distro

Have you attempted Safe Mode?
    Haven't as I'm at work currently... I'll try that later. I'm not getting my hopes up about that Would rather it be that Windows 7 recovery disk can see the installation. Think safe mode won't pick up the files on the disk.
    [mEo!]

Beans

I don't know if I am reading this right--but your MBR got deleted when you shrunk the NTFS partition with partition manager while running Windows 7? And you did not install Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NobleYorkshire View Post
    I don't know if I am reading this right--but your MBR got deleted when you shrunk the NTFS partition with partition manager while running Windows 7?
    No idea. I suspect the MBR is corrupted or deleted, or something. But I'm curious as to why it comes up with 'RAW' format in some partition managers... slash.. Windows 7 installation utilities.

And you did not install Ubuntu?
    Haven't yet; its what shrinking the drive down was going to allow. I'm using the Live CD at the moment to copy files off the drive. No idea why Ubuntu picks up that it's a NTFS partition but other things can't seem to.
    [mEo!]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

First, it would help to specify which software you used to shrink the partition. The built in Disk Management? Or third party?

With windows it's usually normal to "start" the shrink operation while it's running, because that's the only way you can open programs (it has no live mode). But that only creates a sort of script, it then tells you to reboot and actually does the shrinking while windows is not running.

If it didn't do its job properly out of what ever reason, the partition table is probably messed up. If it is, chkdsk can't help much because it doesn't even see a partition to check, as you said it reports RAW format.

I agree that ubuntu tools for NTFS can rarely help in this situation. Even if they do, windows might still not like that.

What you can do from ubuntu live mode is download and run a program called Testdisk which scans the disk for partitions that existed earlier and in many cases can restore them back. You have a step by step here:
    www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

VERY IMPORTANT: Testdisk can help much, and also mess it up much more! If you don't understand it, ask before doing any actions. I suggest you first do the Deeper Search, post the screenshot of it which will show all old partitions found (including ones you might have deleted on purpose), and then we can see what can be done.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast