Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    I went ahead and fixed it before bed You can copy/paste from the how to now that you have the fixed dsdt.aml file. The results from iasl: Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 1130 Optimizations. Be sure to add "acpi_osi="Linux" to /boot/grub/menu.lst per the how to. After you get it implemented, run "sudo dmesg" after rebooting and post a copy. I will look tomorrow to make sure there are no errors left in your dmesg output and post the changes for you. Attachment 115398
    So many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pormogo View Post
    Hi, I was directed here by way of the following post I made in the dell user support forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1149898

Since updating to Ubuntu 9.04 (32bit) on my Dell m1330n when returning from suspend occasionally (every second suspend really) my computer seems to myteriously "lose" my gnome session, and all of my work with it. It's pretty annoying and I have gotten into the habit of just shutting down my machine when moving from place to place. I posted my pm-suspend.log file in the other thead above and it seemed to indicate it returned from suspend correctly. However my session is gone :_|

I tried flashing my BIOS from version A8 to the current version A15 on the advice of another user. This did not fix my issue. I read through this thead and it seems unlikely to me that dell would compile a linux incompatible/buggy version of their DSDT in a laptop model that was actually sold with Ubuntu preinstalled on it.

I've taken a dump of my DSDT file and I could provide it if someone would be so kind as to take a look or tell me is the DSDT could potentially even be responsible fro my problem.

I'm a little lost as to where to look next. No log files are showing any errors or anything.

The only thing I see is an error with GDM indicating MTRR issues.

from /var/log/gmd/:0.log
    error setting MTRR (base = 0xe0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
    It is probably some leftover link in some obscure config file left after upgrade. I've never had much luck with upgrading, and keep a second /home partition. I have not found any errors on any Dell PC yet, but it is possible. Extract it using the how to, zip it up, and post it here as an attachment. I will be glad to have a look.

Beans
    Distro

What does
    Code:
    cat /proc/mtrr
    return? The gdm error says you have 256MB of RAM.

Beans

my laptop seems to allocate 256Mb of RAM to my onboard intel GM965 graphics chip. I am assuming this is the 256Mb of RAM that it is referring to

Code:
    $ cat /proc/mtrr 
    reg00: base=0x000000000 (    0MB), size= 2048MB, count=1: write-back
    reg01: base=0x080000000 ( 2048MB), size= 1024MB, count=1: write-back
    reg02: base=0x0c0000000 ( 3072MB), size=  512MB, count=1: write-back
    reg03: base=0x100000000 ( 4096MB), size=  512MB, count=1: write-back
    reg04: base=0x0df800000 ( 3576MB), size=    8MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg05: base=0x0df700000 ( 3575MB), size=    1MB, count=1: uncachable
    Is what /proc/mtrr looks like on this system.

On a side note it seems like my system is allocating 512Mb to my video card. There is 4G of RAM in this system however only 3520M seems usable by the syste

Code:
    $ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3520       3005        514          0        171       2249
    -/+ buffers/cache:        585       2935
    Swap:         2933          0       2932
    Is there any way for me to check the amount of RAM being used by my GM965? Looking back through those gdm logs I think that error might actually be the root cause of my issue as it pops up every second log file which would indicate that it is happening in concordance with when I am forced to use a fresh gdm login...

On a side note I've actually had pretty good luck upgrading this laptop. It's gone from 7.04 to 9.04 without any kind of serious issues (until now).
    Last edited by pormogo; May 28th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hello, here is my new dmesg file, Now i can see a folder in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone and Computer Temperature Monitor only show one temperature, before it show four

I didnt use the acpi_osi="Linux" option. i will try it and will compare the results.

i have a question: How can i restore the old DSDT file or make the os load it from bios?

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by totoxa; May 29th, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Looks good. It should run like a new laptop now The only error now is:
    Code:
    ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
    If you add the osi definition to the grub menu, that will go away, and your hardware will be initialized when Ubuntu boots according to the Linux acpi tables only. Your temp is being seen, so it should run cooler/quieter instead of being guessed at
    Code:
    thermal LNXTHERM:01: registered as thermal_zone0 ACPI: Thermal Zone [THRM] (37 C)
    Suspend/hibernate should work now since your sleep states are recognized
    Code:
    ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)
    I would make a copy of the DSDT.aml file and keep it in a safe place. You will have to use it anytime you reinstall, or install any other Mac/Linux OS. The DSDT in your BIOS is broken and won't change. To remove it and boot with the original DSDT in the BIOS, just delete DSDT.aml in /etc/initramfs-tools, and update the initramfs again. This will remove the link to the custom DSDT.

Beans
    Distro

pormogo: The system isn't reporting 4GB. The first line is saying you have 256. You might try this method to see if it fixes the error: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=115104

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Looks good. It should run like a new laptop now The only error now is:
    Code:
    ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
    If you add the osi definition to the grub menu, that will go away, and your hardware will be initialized when Ubuntu boots according to the Linux acpi tables only. Your temp is being seen, so it should run cooler/quieter instead of being guessed at
    Code:
    thermal LNXTHERM:01: registered as thermal_zone0 ACPI: Thermal Zone [THRM] (37 C)
    Suspend/hibernate should work now since your sleep states are recognized
    Code:
    ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)
    I would make a copy of the DSDT.aml file and keep it in a safe place. You will have to use it anytime you reinstall, or install any other Mac/Linux OS. The DSDT in your BIOS is broken and won't change. To remove it and boot with the original DSDT in the BIOS, just delete DSDT.aml in /etc/initramfs-tools, and update the initramfs again. This will remove the link to the custom DSDT.
    many thanks , i will add acpi.. to the grub list

Beans

Hello 67gta,

Hope everything is well in your end. I would like to request for assistance regarding my dsdt file. I think I belong to one of those who acquired a laptop with buggy implementation of dsdt. My /proc/acpi/fan is empty, and my fan does not turn on. Even if my laptop is idle, I am getting 58C and it goes as high as 65C when transferring huge amounts of data (in GBs). Appreciate if you could help me out as I am fairly new to the dsdt stuff. Thanks in advance.

ryanrudolf@linux-laptop:~$ iasl -d dsdt.dat

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
    AML Disassembler version 20081204 [Jan 10 2009]
    Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation
    Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Loading Acpi table from file dsdt.dat
    Acpi table [DSDT] successfully installed and loaded
    Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]
    Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]
    Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Parsing completed
    Disassembly completed, written to "dsdt.dsl"
    ryanrudolf@linux-laptop:~$
    ryanrudolf@linux-laptop:~$ iasl -tc dsdt.dsl
    Maximum error count (200) exceeded
    ASL Input: dsdt.dsl - 7228 lines, 247531 bytes, 2835 keywords
    Compilation complete. 201 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 4 Optimizations

Maximum error count (200) exceeded
    Segmentation fault
    ryanrudolf@linux-laptop:~$
    Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

pormogo: The system isn't reporting 4GB. The first line is saying you have 256. You might try this method to see if it fixes the error: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=115104
    Stay with me for a second, I'm not really getting what you're saying here. The first line, as in register00 there?

reg00: base=0x000000000 ( 0MB), size= 2048MB, count=1: write-back

While that does not equate to the correct available amount of main system memory it doesn't look like 256Mb to me it looks like 2GB.

I also don't have poor glx gears performance. However I do see how it could create a problem so I'll give it a shot.

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast