Page 61 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

YIKES.

Following this thread, I ran the suggested commands. Not only was I unable to view the Daily Show (the reason I tried this), but now I am unable to watch ANY video files on ANY video player. (Except .mpg files using gxine.)

How to undo the damage?

Depending on the driver I'm using --and I've tried them all-- Mplayer gives me either "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo_ device" or "error at MB: 633" (whatever THAT means.) VLC, which used to be my fallback, is now useless. In desperation, I even checked RealPlayer.

Here are the commands I used, copied from my .bash_history file. My computer has been in storage for a few months and I am a little rusty on this stuff. It's an x86_64 system, using Hardy which was recently upgraded from Gutsy. The video was working until I used these commands.

What now?

Code:
    getlibs -p libnspr4-0d
    getlibs -p libcurl3
    getlibs -p libasound2-plugins
    sudo apt-get remove libflashsupport
    sudo rm ~/.pulse/* ~/.asoundrc* /etc/asound.conf
    sudo apt-get install padevchooser libao-pulse libasound2-plugins libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    asoundconf set-pulseaudio
    echo "default_driver=pulse" >~/.libao
    In the third from the last line above, the following was added to my /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
    # added to watch the damn Daily Show Aug 24 2008
    # PulseAudio Fixes - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5587712
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/psyke83/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/psyke83/ubuntu hardy main
    Last edited by malrost; August 24th, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by malrost View Post
    YIKES.

Following this thread, I ran the suggested commands. Not only was I unable to view the Daily Show (the reason I tried this), but now I am unable to watch ANY video files on ANY video player. (Except .mpg files using gxine.)

How to undo the damage?

Depending on the driver I'm using --and I've tried them all-- Mplayer gives me either "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo_ device" or "error at MB: 633" (whatever THAT means.) VLC, which used to be my fallback, is now useless. In desperation, I even checked RealPlayer.

Here are the commands I used, copied from my .bash_history file. My computer has been in storage for a few months and I am a little rusty on this stuff. It's an x86_64 system, using Hardy which was recently upgraded from Gutsy. The video was working until I used these commands.

What now?

Code:
    getlibs -p libnspr4-0d
    getlibs -p libcurl3
    getlibs -p libasound2-plugins
    sudo apt-get remove libflashsupport
    sudo rm ~/.pulse/* ~/.asoundrc* /etc/asound.conf
    sudo apt-get install padevchooser libao-pulse libasound2-plugins libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    asoundconf set-pulseaudio
    echo "default_driver=pulse" >~/.libao
    In the third from the last line above, the following was added to my /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
    # added to watch the damn Daily Show Aug 24 2008
    # PulseAudio Fixes - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5587712
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/psyke83/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/psyke83/ubuntu hardy main
    I can't test getlibs here as I don't have any 64bit systems, but you would need to run getlibs with administrator privileges (sudo).

1. Are you using the Ubuntu (GNOME) release?
    2. Post your pulseaudio verbose log (see Appendix B of the guide at post #1).
    3. Post the output of mplayer using the pulse driver, e.g.:
    Code:
    $ mplayer -ao pulse /usr/share/example-content/ubuntu\ Sax.ogg
    Also be sure to check the troubleshooting tips in Appendix B.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the assist, it is much appreciated. Now to your questions:

1. Yes, it's Ubuntu w/ Gnome (version 2.22.3), amd64. I upgraded from Gutsy.

2. I checked appendix B with two appliations. First application was Audacious (a music player), and I got result A. Second application was Hydrogen (a drum machine), and I got result B.

Not sure if this helps, but when I first ran the test, an Mplayer plugin stream was already visible even though i had no instance of Mplayer running. (I did have to kill it once a bit earlier; one driver change/test made it 'sleeping', as it's called in the system monitor. IOW no response to my attempts to close & restart it.)

Not sure what to make of this, but I've now received different results to the verbose output depending on what was open. Details below:

First time: applet open, Audacious running. I gave the last line about a minute, than ctrl+X'd it.

Code:
    I: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
    I: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
    I: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
    I: main.c: Note that real-time/high-priority scheduling is NOT normally required. If you experience crackling or other sound anomalies, consider one or more of the above solutions.
    I: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but now allowed by policy. Disabling forcibly.
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    I: main.c: This is PulseAudio 0.9.10
    I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
    I: main.c: Fresh high-resolution timers available! Bon appetit!
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-hal-detect.so': success
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Trying capability alsa
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_timer
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_sequencer
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_2
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_1
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0'
    D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:0...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer front:0: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:0'
    I: alsa-util.c: Using mixer control "Master".
    I: sink.c: Created sink 0 "alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 0 "alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 896 bytes.
    I: alsa-util.c: ALSA device lacks independant volume controls for each channel, falling back to software volume control.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+29
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #0; argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-source with arguments 'device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0'
    D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:0...
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer front:0: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:0'
    I: alsa-util.c: Using mixer control "Capture".
    I: source.c: Created source 1 "alsa_input.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0" with sample spec "s16le 2ch 44100Hz"
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Using 8 fragments of size 896 bytes.
    I: alsa-util.c: All 2 channels can be mapped to mixer channels. Using hardware volume control.
    D: module-alsa-source.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+28
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-source" (index: #1; argument: "device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0").
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_hw_specific_0
    D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_control__1
    I: module-hal-detect.c: Loaded 2 modules.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #2; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-esound-protocol-unix.so': success
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #3; argument: "").
    I: protocol-native.c: loading cookie from disk.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #4; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-gconf.so': success
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #5; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #6; argument: "").
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default sink 'alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0'.
    D: core-subscribe.c: dropped redundant event.
    D: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default source 'alsa_input.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0'.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #7; argument: "").
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #8; argument: "").
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor becomes idle.
    D: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 becomes idle.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #9; argument: "").
    D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of '/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-x11-publish.so': success
    D: module-x11-publish.c: using already loaded auth cookie.
    I: module.c: Loaded "module-x11-publish" (index: #10; argument: "").
    I: main.c: Daemon startup complete.
    D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus, path=/org/freedesktop/DBus, member=NameAcquired
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0 idle for too long, suspending ...
    I: module-alsa-source.c: Device suspended...
    I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_output.pci_10de_371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor idle for too long, suspending ...
    Second time: closed the PulseAudio applet, only apps open were browser and terminal:

Code:
    I: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
    I: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
    I: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
    I: main.c: Note that real-time/high-priority scheduling is NOT normally required. If you experience crackling or other sound anomalies, consider one or more of the above solutions.
    I: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but now allowed by policy. Disabling forcibly.
    E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
    E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
    Third time, same as above but as root:

Code:
    E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon.
    Fourth; one last time, with PulseAudio applet and Hydrogen open (though not playing):

Code:

Finally, question #3. Not sure what to make of the "mplayer: no such file or directory" line. After I realized the video wasn't working, I reinstalled Mplayer, VLC, and all related libraries using Synaptic, (thinking that if I'd hosed any dependencies that would fix them.)

Code:
    MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (Family: 15, Model: 107, Stepping: 1)
    CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing /usr/share/example-content/ubuntu Sax.ogg.
    [Ogg] stream 0: audio (Vorbis), -aid 0
    Ogg file format detected.
    ==========================================================================
    Forced audio codec: mad
    Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
    AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 160.0 kbit/11.34% (ratio: 20000->176400)
    Selected audio codec: [ffvorbis] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg Vorbis decoder)
    AO: [pulse] Failed to connect to server: Timeout
    Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
    Audio: no sound
    Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)
    Last edited by malrost; August 24th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

2. I checked appendix B with two appliations. First application was Audacious (a music player), and I got result A. Second application was Hydrogen (a drum machine), and I got result B.
    That's probably normal. I suspect that Hydrogen isn't compatible with PulseAudio.

Not sure if this helps, but when I first ran the test, an Mplayer plugin stream was already visible even though i had no instance of Mplayer running. (I did have to kill it once a bit earlier; one driver change/test made it 'sleeping', as it's called in the system monitor. IOW no response to my attempts to close & restart it.)
    That could indicate that mplayer crashes when using its PulseAudio output, perhaps.

Not sure what to make of this, but I've now received different results to the verbose output depending on what was open. Details below:

First time: applet open, Audacious running. I gave the last line about a minute, than ctrl+X'd it.
    You didn't need to test under all those circumstances. The first output indicated no problems, and all subsequent tries indicated that a PulseAudio server was already running.

1. Did getlibs complain of any problems when trying to install the 32bit packages? You may want to check IntuitiveNipple's PPA to get a "fixed" version of getlibs: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=10

2. Log out and log back in. Don't allow any other applications that use audio to remain open, then run mplayer (using the advice of Appendix B) in two ways:

First:
    Code:
    $ mplayer -ao alsa /usr/share/example-content/ubuntu\ Sax.ogg
    Second:
    Code:
    $ mplayer -ao pulse /usr/share/example-content/ubuntu\ Sax.ogg
    If it doesn't give result A in both instances, I'm not sure what's wrong on your system. Let me know the results, and paste the output for both instances here.

If you want to disable PulseAudio, the quickest way is:
    Code:
    $ asoundconf unset-pulseaudio
    Also you may want to change the entries in System/Preferences/Sound from Autodetect to ALSA.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Posts 551-553 were for 64bit users, I certainly hope you weren't messing with "getlibs" on a 32bit installation. Do other applications play sound successfully using PulseAudio?

Anyway, check if you successfully upgraded the necessary packages. Post the output of this command:

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep asound

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep asound gives:

ii  libasound2                                 1.0.16-2ubuntu2~ppa1                                    ALSA library
    ii  libasound2-plugins                         1.0.16-1ubuntu2~ppa1                                    ALSA library additional plugins
    i know they were for 64-bit, i just thought i'd see if i missed something

now, i did get libasound2-plugins thru apt, actually thru your PPA

oh and yes all other apps play sound fine and show on the pulseaudio GUI volume and devices tabs:

my problem is only with flash video. it does work temporarily if i install libflashsupport or flashplugin-nonfree, however after a few minutes flash video just stops showing.

believe me your help is much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anarki13 View Post
    my problem is only with flash video. it does work temporarily if i install libflashsupport or flashplugin-nonfree, however after a few minutes flash video just stops showing.

believe me your help is much appreciated!
    It's possible you have an older version of flash on your system (possibly from a manual installation).

Code:
    $ sudo updatedb
    $ locate libflashplayer.so
    Delete any references to that file on your system, and then reinstall the flashplugin-nonfree package:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree
    Ensure you have version "10.0.1.218+10.0.0.569ubuntu1~ppa2" of this package installed. Paste the apt-get log if you still have problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    It's possible you have an older version of flash on your system (possibly from a manual installation).

Code:
    $ sudo updatedb
    $ locate libflashplayer.so
    Delete any references to that file on your system, and then reinstall the flashplugin-nonfree package:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree
    Ensure you have version "10.0.1.218+10.0.0.569ubuntu1~ppa2" of this package installed. Paste the apt-get log if you still have problems.

sorry, no luck firefox now reports flashplugin as uninstalled; here is the log:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/19.2kB of archives.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
      flashplugin-nonfree
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 181668 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.1.218+10.0.0.569ubuntu1~ppa2 (using .../flashplugin-nonfree_10.0.1.218+10.0.0.569ubuntu1~ppa2_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement flashplugin-nonfree ...
    Setting up flashplugin-nonfree (10.0.1.218+10.0.0.569ubuntu1~ppa2) ...
    Installing from local file /var/cache/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplayer10_install_linux_081108.tar.gz
    Flash Plugin installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I got result A from both mplayer tests! Hopefully that's good news...

Anyway I'm afraid I don't remember any complaints from getlibs, but am not sure. Should I run those lines again to check?

So first I checked IntuitiveNipple's post, added his/her PPA to my repository list, and updated apt-get. I then changed the sound preferences (for everything) from autodetect to ALSA. After this I logged off/on and ran the Appendix B tests.

I haven't yet disabled PulseAudio, because I'm not sure if that's what I need or want to do here. Here are the test results:

Test 1:

Code:
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (Family: 15, Model: 107, Stepping: 1)

AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Starting playback...
    A:  25.6 (25.6) of 26.0 (25.9)  0.9% 

Exiting... (End of file)

Test 2

Code:

AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Starting playback...
    A:  25.6 (25.6) of 26.0 (25.9)  0.8% 

Exiting... (End of file)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anarki13 View Post
    sorry, no luck :( firefox now reports flashplugin as uninstalled; here is the log:
    You didn't indicate whether or not you found other "libflashplayer.so" files. Also, that logs shows that Flash (re)installed successfully.

Are you aware that you have to restart Firefox for changes to take effect? What version of the plugin is shown in Firefox's "about:plugins" ?

Beans
    Distro

I got result A from both mplayer tests! Hopefully that's good news...

Anyway I'm afraid I don't remember any complaints from getlibs, but am not sure. Should I run those lines again to check?

So first I checked IntuitiveNipple's post, added his/her PPA to my repository list, and updated apt-get. I then changed the sound preferences (for everything) from autodetect to ALSA. After this I logged off/on and ran the Appendix B tests.

I haven't yet disabled PulseAudio, because I'm not sure if that's what I need or want to do here. Here are the test results:
    Please, don't confuse my instructions.

In my last post, I asked you to test mplayer using the "alsa" output, then the "pulse" output. In your tests you tested mplayer with "alsa" both times.

I also gave you instructions to disable PulseAudio, which you shouldn't have done until after following the mplayer tests.

You will need to enable PulseAudio again:
    Code:
    $ asoundconf set-pulseaudio
    2. System/Preferences/Sound. Set "Sound playback" options to Autodetect (this only affects GStreamer applications, though).

When PulseAudio is "enabled", log out and back in, then try the mplayer tests again (just ensure you use "-ao pulse" for the second attempt). Be sure *not* to have other audio applications running during these tests.

Page 61 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast