Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Beans

Re: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Quote Originally Posted by twipley View Post
    It is my last try at it. If it is still not correct, then you will have to create a viable file yourself for me to work with.

(Although I believe it should now be okay.)

See you in the near future, level-15 Tokyo man.
    Looks fine to me! Maybe the shade of green is too light though.... kidding!!!
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Beans
    Hidden!

The green is too green? ::facepalm::

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm sorry. I cannot understand where to download scangear. I installed the driver, but there is no scangear. I am pushing the scan button on the scanner, but nothing seems to get sniffed. I am approaching mid-semester, and I cannot afford spending more time on this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by twipley View Post
    I'm sorry. I cannot understand where to download scangear. I installed the driver, but there is no scangear. I am pushing the scan button on the scanner, but nothing seems to get sniffed. I am approaching mid-semester, and I cannot afford spending more time on this.
    I have no idea why this is difficult, have you looked at the MP280 on Canon's website? I recommend the US site for its easy browsing functionality. Takes no time at all to find what you need.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ersAndSoftware

1) The driver is the MP driver, currently version 1.01, it includes the TWAIN scanner driver. Any scanner program should then be able to connect to the scanner.

2) The program Canon gives you for scanning is called MP Navigator, it is version 4.02 at this time.

3) There are several USB connections to a multi-purpose machine, you need to select the one for the scanner in order to sniff scans. If you select the wrong one you won't be recording anything.

Hope that helps,
    Gernot

Beans

twipley:
    aikishugyo is the real expert on scanning and sane;

I am much more of a plodder.......

If I give you some very direct pointers to help you find scangear?

go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...100302702.html

and click the big red DOWNLOAD NOW button to get the

MP280 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.60 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

it comes down as a .tar.gz file

scangearmp-mp280series-1.60-1-deb.tar.gz

the terminal commands would be

cd Downloads
    .hit enter for each command..

tar -zxvf scangearmp-mp280series-1.60-1-deb.tar.gz
    cd scangearmp-mp280series-1.60-1-deb
    ./install.sh
    .......and you should see things happening on your terminal

.....once done to get it to run

scangearmp
    and the programme should open.........

.....how did that go?

Beans

Hi pdc,
    I'm also a plodder, so I only know the track I plodded along, a real "one-trick pony", that's me! For more, one needs a project Hence, I'm an active member of the gutenprint project, and help out on the SANE project as time permits.

The instructions you give are fine, for using Canon's scangear software under linux. In contrast, what I am helping with is how to get USB snoop data from Windows using Canon's software for the MP280. I don't know the circumstances, but instead of scangear, there is MP Navigator for the MP280.

Note: From cursory inspection, I surmise Scangear is only provided for high-end devices on Windows, such as the CanoScan 8800F (which I own), iR series and so on.

Beans
    Hidden!

Code:
    MP Navigator EX
    This is the information I needed.

I will give it one more shot later on this morning.

Beans
    Hidden!

Alright. Here are the instructions I followed, for the sake of preservation. Note that I retained the most-important information. Best I could layman-side.

Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    1) The driver is the MP driver, currently version 1.01, it includes the TWAIN scanner driver. Any scanner program should then be able to connect to the scanner.

2) The program Canon gives you for scanning is called MP Navigator, it is version 4.02 at this time.

3) There are several USB connections to a multi-purpose machine, you need to select the one for the scanner in order to sniff scans. If you select the wrong one you won't be recording anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    I will then need color (most important), grayscale and monochrome scans of this, each sniffed with SniffUSB v2.0, the program you can find here:

SniffUSB v2.0, for x86 and x86-64 architectures, and complete instructions for use: http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm
    You select the device in the list with the mouse, and press the "install" button (in the Filter Control column on the right).

Note: Canon scanners generally start at 150dpi for flatbed, and have physical resolutions in multiples after this: 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600. There is no need to try in-between values (which Windows offers in the selection I believe).

It is crucial usually to "replug" the scanner from inside the program after attaching it to the program (obviously it has already initialized itself on connection to the OS and therefore sniffusb can see it and select it for sniffing.... so now a "replug" action reinitializes the scanner and the sniffer can record the initialization packets).

After each scan, stop the recording with "pause log", write remaining buffer information to the logfile with "close log", then copy (not move!) the logfile to the Desktop (rename it to something meaningful like mp280-color-1200dpi.log), and then re-initialize the log file to zero with "delete log", and start logging again with "resume log".

Now, before doing another scan, do a "replug" to initialize the scanner again and reset the USB packet count to 1. Then perform the scan of interest, "pause log", "close log", copy the actual log file to the Desktop and rename it, and then "delete log", "resume log", "replug", and then scan again.... do you follow the sequence?

Hope that helps anyone that wants to do some USB sniffing for the SANE project.
    Furthermore, this is the picture that has to be scanned. http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...hmentid=225238 It should be printed using adequate settings.

Wow, I had never realized current-generation scanners were that powerful! On the picture, one can see detailed hairs, and if I had been bleeding, one could almost see the DNA structure! (Not that close, but close enough.)

At least for the needs. I had more problems. From inside "Canon MP Navigator EX," resolutions over 600 dpi could not be chosen. However, just below this setting is a "use the scanner driver" box, which, once ticked, permits the opening of ScanGear from within, which permits using the 1200 dpi.

Next post should feature picture and log links!

Beans
    Hidden!

I've ran into another problem which resulted in scan being unable to be performed, as resolution exceeded 10001*10001 pixels, told the message. although I have fixed it through reducing (through pre-scan tweaking) the scanning area to the upper-left corner of the page, all the while maintaining a resolution of 1200 dpi.

Furthermore, I had to tweak the default settings to disable any kind of post-processing that would have influenced the image output, although that might not have affected the log file (or would it have?).

I have compressed using 7-Zip, which, through normal settings, gave a compression ratio of 6%, which brought the archive down from 380 to 26 MB.

The resulting file is available over at http://www.2shared.com/file/cuZSf91q/logs.html

Did I do a good-enough job? If you tell fast enough, I might have time to correct things before returning the machine.
    Last edited by twipley; October 19th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Hello Twipley,
    Thanks for the effort, it finally paid off: the logs look fine, they correctly include the initialization of the scanner, and I could parse them. Now need to reconstruct images from them and submit patches to the SANE pixma backend maintainer.
    I'll post here again on the weekend after I have done this. If you have already compiled SANE from source, I can send you the patches file you will need, and you can test if it works.
    Regards,
    Gernot

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast