Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: restoring RAID 0

Beans

restoring RAID 0

It killed my RAID 0 AGAIN! This is not a HDD failure problem

2 years ago i thought I would give Ubuntu a try since I had heard so much hype about it. Once it was installed, the RAID 0 set up was gone.. Again, this is not a HDD failure problem.

Here I am again, trying a different approach. I installed Ubuntu on a 16 gig flash drive. Once I restarted and booted ubuntu from the flash drive, I was playing around with it, saw it worked, restarted again to go back into windows.. Both HDDs were working just fine, but once Ubuntu touched my computer, it killed the RAID again.. WHY?! WHY I ASK DOES UBUNTU HAVE TO SUCK SO BADLY!!!! Once again, this is not a HDD failure problem

Does anyone know a fix for this? I have not installed any software, my HDDs should be fully intact, I just need the metadata rewritten, or the RAID to be restored. I already checked the BIOS and the settings haven't changed. The mobo is still set up for RAID. And just to be sure, one last time, this is NOT an HDD failure problem!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by sputtle View Post
    It killed my RAID 0 AGAIN! This is not a HDD failure problem

2 years ago i thought I would give Ubuntu a try since I had heard so much hype about it. Once it was installed, the RAID 0 set up was gone.. Again, this is not a HDD failure problem.

Here I am again, trying a different approach. I installed Ubuntu on a 16 gig flash drive. Once I restarted and booted ubuntu from the flash drive, I was playing around with it, saw it worked, restarted again to go back into windows.. Both HDDs were working just fine, but once Ubuntu touched my computer, it killed the RAID again.. WHY?! WHY I ASK DOES UBUNTU HAVE TO SUCK SO BADLY!!!! Once again, this is not a HDD failure problem

Does anyone know a fix for this? I have not installed any software, my HDDs should be fully intact, I just need the metadata rewritten, or the RAID to be restored. I already checked the BIOS and the settings haven't changed. The mobo is still set up for RAID. And just to be sure, one last time, this is NOT an HDD failure problem!
    Some machines have problems with Ubuntu. I had a lot with graphic cards. You just have to find out what is causing the problems, which can admittedly be somewhat wearying, but there is no point in saying that something sucks just because you can't get it to work as you would like it to.

When I have a problem with Ubuntu, I invariably assume that I have screwed up somewhere, and try to find out where. This has proven to be an excellent policy. Sometimes some software or other may be "at fault", but mostly it is something I have done, or not done, which is causing the problems.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    Some machines have problems with Ubuntu. I had a lot with graphic cards. You just have to find out what is causing the problems, which can admittedly be somewhat wearying, but there is no point in saying that something sucks just because you can't get it to work as you would like it to.

When I have a problem with Ubuntu, I invariably assume that I have screwed up somewhere, and try to find out where. This has proven to be an excellent policy. Sometimes some software or other may be "at fault", but mostly it is something I have done, or not done, which is causing the problems.
    Yes, I do understand that. That is why I didn't get upset at all the first time this happened. But now, I installed this OS on a FLASH DRIVE. Completely separate from my HDDs. Just because the OS is ran it decides to screw up the RAID? That's quite ridiculous. And I'm not the first person with this problem. I've been trying to research fixes and there's no solutions to be found, just a long list of problems.

Beans

Re: Please help resore RAID 0

WINDOWS software is fully capable of identifying these types of settings and working WITH them. Not against them.. If this is such a common problem, why was I not informed by the OS. I've been working with Windows ever since 3.1 so I already know all the ins and outs and usually don't have to worry about things like this. But I thought I would try something different, like Ubuntu. I heard it was good.. and in my experience it didn't last 5 seconds in the "good" category. I just wish the makers of this OS would think things through, just a little bit. Since they are incapable of doing that. They suck, imo. This isn't version 1, 2 or 3. It's version 12.04. So c'mon devs.. use your brain cuz you just cost me a **** ton of time that's now wasted because of a crappy OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you want someone here help you, please, just moderate the vocabulary.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

WINDOWS software is fully capable of identifying these types of settings and working WITH them. Not against them.. If this is such a common problem, why was I not informed by the OS. I've been working with Windows ever since 3.1 so I already know all the ins and outs and usually don't have to worry about things like this. But I thought I would try something different, like Ubuntu. I heard it was good.. and in my experience it didn't last 5 seconds in the "good" category. I just wish the makers of this OS would think things through, just a little bit.
    If you want to talk about another OS, just do it in their forums.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, I do understand that. That is why I didn't get upset at all the first time this happened. But now, I installed this OS on a FLASH DRIVE. Completely separate from my HDDs. Just because the OS is ran it decides to screw up the RAID? That's quite ridiculous. And I'm not the first person with this problem. I've been trying to research fixes and there's no solutions to be found, just a long list of problems.
    There may not be a "simple" fix for your particular problem. That's just how it is. have you tried installing the raid properly under Ubuntu? Or is this a raid setup on a machine running another system?

If Ubuntu tries to mount things it doesn't know anything about there may well be problems.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Hidden!

If you only ran Ubuntu and didn't install anything then your RAID should still be 100% intact and not affected.

I would suggest waiting for someone with experience with this to post and assist you.

Regards

Beans
    Distro

restarted again to go back into windows.. Both HDDs were working just fine, but once Ubuntu touched my computer, it killed the RAID again.
    Can you provide more detail on the specific errors you get when you try to boot into windows?

I absolutely trust that you are correct that this is not a drive failure problem, but what messages do you see that indicate that?

The more detail you can provide, the more likely it is that someone will be able to help you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    There may not be a "simple" fix for your particular problem. That's just how it is. have you tried installing the raid properly under Ubuntu? Or is this a raid setup on a machine running another system?

If Ubuntu tries to mount things it doesn't know anything about there may well be problems.
    I was considering that, but I'm afraid to have anything installed on the HDDs. I wanted to keep this OS separate because of the RAID issue. I'm clinging to a hope that all data hasn't been lost yet and there may yet be a recovery option somewhere.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast