Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Beans

Re: ubuntu on new retina macbook : any experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by magnumripper View Post
    This should give you a good hint on what is happening:
    dmesg | grep -Ei 'nvidia|nvrm'

When you installed nvidia-updates, did you see it successfully build DKMS modules? If not, purge nvidia-updates and then install it again and confirm it could build the modules.
    Thanks for your help. The DKMS do build, but I did not install nvidia-updates, only nvidia-current, could that be the problem? On the other hand, I also tried the latest driver downloaded directly from nvidia, and it had the same issue.

I'd like to try again, but this site isn't working today:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline
    Would anyone be so kind as to upload the 3.7 debs somewhere for me? Thanks a lot in advance.

Beans

I have a 13" macbook pro retina.... the audio hardware is not showing up... can someone help.... i'm new the ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magnumripper View Post
    This should give you a good hint on what is happening:
    dmesg | grep -Ei 'nvidia|nvrm'

When you installed nvidia-updates, did you see it successfully build DKMS modules? If not, purge nvidia-updates and then install it again and confirm it could build the modules.
    Ok, now I'm really confused.

I tried a new installation, this time installing nvidia-current-updates on the 3.7rc5 kernel. I did have the kernel headers for 3.7rc5 installed. I get this message while installing nvidia-current-updates:

ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc5-generic is not supported
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.7.0-030700rc5-generic (x86_64)

How is it possible that you have this up and running?
    Thanks for your answer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plech.d View Post
    Ok, now I'm really confused.

I tried a new installation, this time installing nvidia-current-updates on the 3.7rc5 kernel. I did have the kernel headers for 3.7rc5 installed. I get this message while installing nvidia-current-updates:

ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc5-generic is not supported
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.7.0-030700rc5-generic (x86_64)

How is it possible that you have this up and running?
    Thanks for your answer.
    Ok, I managed to install nvidia on 3.7 rc5 by going for the xedgers ppa and installing the 310 version of nvidia-current from there. That builds the dkms module properly. But it still doesn't boot. I would appreciate a step by step walkthrough from someone who has this kernel with nvidia drivers up and running.

Thank you very much in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plech.d View Post
    ... it still doesn't boot.
    Did you lock the graphics card into the right state before trying to boot up using the NVidia driver? Remember, the driver can't switch automatically to the dedicated GPU (see vga_switcheroo, Bumblebee), so you'd have to force the right GPU into use via Cody Krieger's gfxCardStatus.

Beans

How are people finding this? About to pull the trigger on a 13".

Beans

I can only speak to the 15", but it is running pretty well with the exception of the Wifi. The Wifi is a mess and it keeps me from using it full time. It will work for a while fine, then drop out, reconnect, then work, drop out, etc. It just isn't consistant enough to use when you really need it.

Beans

VERY personal opinion ...
    Nice form-factor, OK weight, couple of irks ... BUT the graphics system is woefully under-powered.

I got the MBPr to use for coding, and for that, it's OK. Two main advantages are the higher resolution (allowing for smaller, yet still clear fonts), and the 'non-wide-screen' display dimensions, which gives more vertical space.

However, everything requiring good graphics performance hits the same problem ... the NVidia card is just not up to the job, and it doesn't matter which OS you'll use. With a change of GPU (next gen.??) the situation might relax, but until then you'll either have to accept that even simple desktop effects remain bumpy, and video performance can be annoyingly degraded, or step down the resolution, which is essentially what OSX does --- but then why buy a MBPr.

So, if you're desperate for screen real estate that is non-wide-screen (and are willing to pay the price) the MBPr is all right. Otherwise, I would strongly suggest to take another look at, say, the 2nd gen Asus ZenBook.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lukeco11 View Post
    I can only speak to the 15", but it is running pretty well with the exception of the Wifi.
    Strangely enough, wifi works with
    kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.8-rc2-raring/
    well enough for me. After suspend/resume a 'iwlist scan' and at the worst a 'rmmod b43/modprobe b43/iwlist scan' does the trick.

I didn't investigate yet, but the default kernel options may play a role: e.g., initially, I started from the kernel config of the 12.04 Ubuntu kernel and just used the defaults for any of the numerous newly introduced config options in the more recent linux kernel versions. That lead to very flaky wifi and even USB wifi sticks didn't work as reliable as on any other Linux box I tested them.

Beans

Hi,

Has anybody tried 13.04 installing in external drive?

This guy (linked below) seems to installed it in external drive but the instruction is not so clear.
    Ubuntu 13.04 Daily Build Macbook Pro Retina documentation and install guide

http://linuxmacbookproretina.blogspo...cbook-pro.html

Anybody would like have a go with instruction and post a clearer one?

For example this statement:

" Now for the actual guide. Hopefully it is easy enough that people who are newer to linux can follow it. The iso image for the daily build can be grabbed here:

(This guide assumes GUID/GPT drives, as MBR drives do not have EFI partitions.)

/dev/sdXY means /dev/sd<Drive_Letter><Partition_Number> "

What he is talking about?
    Last edited by nsicad; January 11th, 2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: clarity

Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast