Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 and HP Mini 311 with nVidia Ion LE

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 and HP Mini 311 with nVidia Ion LE

Has anyone found a fix for the wifi related boot failures? I just got one of these and basically it boots about 1 out of 10 tries. I removed the wifi card and it starts up just fine every time. I kinda want wifi though.

This is with a fresh install of Karmic. I'm still rooting around to find the cause of the fault, but it seems to crash about 2.5 seconds into the boot process (by the kernel counter).

EDIT: blacklisting b43-pci-bridge and rebuilding the initramfs allows the machine to boot. I installed the Broadcom STA driver and so far it seem to work fine.

James
    Last edited by arsenix; November 18th, 2009 at 02:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arsenix View Post
    Has anyone found a fix for the wifi related boot failures? I just got one of these and basically it boots about 1 out of 10 tries. I removed the wifi card and it starts up just fine every time. I kinda want wifi though.

This is with a fresh install of Karmic. I'm still rooting around to find the cause of the fault, but it seems to crash about 2.5 seconds into the boot process (by the kernel counter).

EDIT: blacklisting b43-pci-bridge and rebuilding the initramfs allows the machine to boot. I installed the Broadcom STA driver and so far it seem to work fine.

James
    I had the same problem... and the same solution.

Beans

What 3D apps have folks successfully run on the machine? I bought it for my young son and have been installing some of his favorite opensource games. So far I have not had much luck with 3D apps.

I installed tux racer extreme and scorched3d... both are completely unplayable. They both run <5fps. I did install armegetron and it runs great, but its 3d graphics are fairly simple.

Have others had similar experiences? I'm running Karmic 32 bit, nvidia 185 driver. My machine has 1GB of ram (maybe this needs to be bumped up).

James

Beans

same problems here. intermittent booting issues.

Beans

so... we were able to get the hp311 working by continually booting recovery mode, then using jockey-text -l (to list possible drivers) and jockey-text -e (to enable possible drivers)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcran View Post
    so... we were able to get the hp311 working by continually booting recovery mode, then using jockey-text -l (to list possible drivers) and jockey-text -e (to enable possible drivers)
    I was having a similar boot problem until I blacklisted the b43 wifi driver that the clean installed defaulted to. I'm currently using ndiswrapper with no problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    I think your upgrade problem is related to this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...80/+bug/474917

If I were you I'd just install the latest 190.42 driver from nvidia's website.
    Have any instruction to install the driver? I found this website and followed his instructions and got a big fat fail trying to install it on my jaunty install.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-nv...epidhardy.html

If there are any other sources that do work, I'd sure appreciate it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rjackson1969 View Post
    Have any instruction to install the driver? I found this website and followed his instructions and got a big fat fail trying to install it on my jaunty install.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-nv...epidhardy.html

If there are any other sources that do work, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Basically all you have to do is go to synaptic and uninstall everything that has nvidia in the name, that should remove all of the repo drivers. Then reboot and you'll get a low resolution, then logout and get a command prompt (Ctrl-Alt-F1), then stop gdm (sudo services gdm stop), then go to the directory with the nvidia .run package and sudo ./packagename, then reboot. That should take care of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Suspend/resume and hibernate/resume seems to have been fixed in an update, maybe about 3-weeks ago. I no longer need to shut off the hardware manually. I just returned from 3-weeks knocking around China, Japan and Korea with the mini 311 running 9.10 without any problems other than occasionally having to reboot to obtain an IP address when encountering a new wifi access point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by arsenix View Post

James
    1. What type of boot failure are you experiencing? I am getting a flashing text cursor on a black screen.

2. How does one go about rebuilding initramfs? What does that do?

3. What could I do to begin troubleshooting or diagnose a failed boot?

Logan
    [ Custom Build : : Phenom 9550 : : ATI Radeon 4350 ]
    [ HP Pavilion : : Pentium D 805 ]
    [ HP Mini 311 : : Atom N270 : : nVidia ION ]
    [ Acer Liquid Metal : : Android 2.2.1 ]

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast