Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Wine hurting Linux Games dramatically ?

Beans

Re: Is Wine hurting Linux Games dramatically ?

Quote Originally Posted by duglambier View Post
    The problem is : How can we count the number of true Linux users who use wine and Windows games on tjeir computer ?
    It is a difficult problem, sure. Even if it's tricky to get accurate figures, there are a few ways to acquire useful statistics though:

(a) There are Linux-specific distributors of games, such as tuxgames, where even though it's the original Windows copy, it's obvious if you're buying games from them that you're getting it for the purpose of running on Linux.

(b) Surveys are good. Just run a poll at a forum for a particular game asking people what platform they play on. As an example:

http://community.enemyterritory.com/...ad.php?t=15237

You'll note Linux is doing pretty well.

(c) Since a lot of games with Linux binaries have to be downloaded separately, it's easy to monitor the number of downloads for these binaries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm really disappointed that valve hasn't followed id games example and released linux installers/binaries for their games, I mean it isn't really much to ask and it would overall help their sales.....but I digress.

Personally wine was one of the MAJOR factors in helping me fully convert to linux over windows so it's kind of hard to imagine that it's hurting the gaming community it's only making it better for people who want a choice in what OS they use and not have to suffer much. The developers that aren't catering to the linux community like they should are the ones that's really hurting it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SM0k3 View Post
    I'm really disappointed that valve hasn't followed id games example and released linux installers/binaries for their games, I mean it isn't really much to ask and it would overall help their sales.....but I digress.
    I don't understand Valve anymore. They not afraid of taking risks like creating the Steam platform to begin with, and trying out games like Portal, but at the same time they're not prepared to invest in a growing platform like Linux. Must be the funny corporate culture of it not being worth any money to them.

iD did it because Carmack likes Linux and open-source. I don't think Gabe Newell gives a crap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FG123 View Post
    I don't understand Valve anymore. They not afraid of taking risks like creating the Steam platform to begin with, and trying out games like Portal, but at the same time they're not prepared to invest in a growing platform like Linux. Must be the funny corporate culture of it not being worth any money to them.

iD did it because Carmack likes Linux and open-source. I don't think Gabe Newell gives a crap.
    Not sure whether Linux is a growing platform.

On the server side sure, but on Desktop side, we are seeing more and more *Buntu users, but these users are not interesting for companies, they almost don't buy anything...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duglambier View Post
    Not sure whether Linux is a growing platform.

On the server side sure, but on Desktop side, we are seeing more and more *Buntu users, but these users are not interesting for companies, they almost don't buy anything...
    People can't buy what doesn't exist. I'm sure a lot of gamers would prefer to walk away from Windows if Linux had sufficient games. Build them and they will come.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

b) Surveys are good. Just run a poll at a forum for a particular game asking people what platform they play on. As an example:

http://community.enemyterritory.com/...ad.php?t=15237

You'll note Linux is doing pretty well.
    I think the Linux statistics are underestimated. A lot of Windows users I know prefer the easier way of the console games. More and more of the real pc freaks I know are/have switched to Linux. And only a percentage of those are gamers.

I only buy Linux ports, or use some of the great OS native games that are out there (e.g. TC:E) though, I did just pick up a copy of ETQW - and if you look at the above forum you'll see over 40% of the users are Linux.

I've heard Valve recently hired someone to work on Linux ports of their products???
    VivaLaRoach

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by william_nbg View Post
    I've heard Valve recently hired someone to work on Linux ports of their products???
    Sorta. All that's known for sure is that Valve have an opening for someone to work on porting technologies to Linux. They don't specify what exactly, so for all we know it might just involve work on the Linux dedicated servers, which is hardly exciting for us. They haven't actually said, yes we are working to make Linux ports of HL2 or whatever, it's mere speculation at this point.

We live in hope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234