Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: virtual box (ose) usb support

Beans
    Hidden!

virtual box (ose) usb support

i need to get an iso i made in a virtual machene to my real computer, but the problem is that i cannot get virtual box to recognise the usb.
    if there is no support for usb then is there another way to get the iso to the real computer???
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: virtual box (ose) usb support

Closed-source features
    The following list shows the enterprise features that are only present in the closed-source edition. Note that this list may change over time as some of these features will eventually be made available with the open-source version as well.

Remote Display Protocol (RDP) Server
    This component implements a complete RDP server on top of the virtual hardware and allows users to connect to a virtual machine remotely using any RDP compatible client.

USB support
    VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and supports passing through USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices to virtual machines.

USB over RDP
    This is a combination of the RDP server and USB support allowing users to make USB devices available to virtual machines running remotely.

Open-source features
    The following list shows the features that are only present in the open-source edition. The licensing conditions of the necessary libraries prevent inclusion in the full-featured product.

Virtual Network Computing (VNC) Server
    This component implements a complete VNC server on top of the virtual hardware and allows users to connect to a virtual machine remotely using any VNC client.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi jarrah-95...

Try to share your usb to your virtual machine and copy your files on it.

Check this:
    Code:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594780
    and look for reply #6 to create your shared usb.

Make it sure the media is inserted on your host machine.

HTH...
    "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."
    "Never stop exploring new ideas, concepts, and techniques and never forget the old ones!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Virtualbox OSE does not have USB-support, but the PUEL-version http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL does! It's free of charge for personal use!

Beans
    Hidden!

hey i tryed what has been said in post 6 and it dident work, (it kept giving me an error, not found) then i tryed the puel version and theres no difference, still no usb support, even though they say it has it???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jarrah-95 View Post
    hey i tryed what has been said in post 6 and it dident work, (it kept giving me an error, not found) then i tryed the puel version and theres no difference, still no usb support, even though they say it has it???
    The more common failure of USB in the PUEL version is that your user name is not part of the virtualbox group.

Open System->Administration->Users, and select your user name. Click "Manage Groups", and scroll down to vboxusers. Click "properties", the make sure your user ID is checked off. Re-start VBOX and USB should work.

Bryan

Beans
    Hidden!

ive just added my self to the vboxusers group and it made no difference, the virtual os still doesnt recognose usbs and no usbs appear at the bottum left of the screen (with the cd/hdd/floppy/shared folders) any more ideas???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try going to the synaptic package manager and mark both versions of virtualbox for complete removal...then reinstall the puel-version. Also remeber: If you want to use an usb-device in virtualbox, you must click the "usb-devices"-tab when the virtual machine is on, and select the device you wish to use (tip: some usb-devices don't seem to install correctly unless you enable them before the guest os has started up completely...my Walkman mp3-player was like that when I tried to get it working in Windows 7).
    Last edited by na5h; October 23rd, 2010 at 02:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I last used Virtualbox in Jaunty, so this may not work in later versions, here are the notes i made at the time so that i could load my iPod in Win XP. I now use Floola in Ubuntu so no longer use Virtualbox.

There are two versions of Virtual Box:
    - OSE (Open Source Edition) which is in the repos
    - Closed Source Edition, or Standard, or just plain “Virtual Box”

OSE does not have USB support. There are a few other features from the closed source version that are missing in OSE, So, if you want to have USB support in VirtualBox, you need to install the closed source edition and make a change to /etc/fstab. Here are the steps:

Remove OSE version with

$ sudo apt-get autoremove virtualbox-ose

open the repo sources list with;

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add the line;

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian jaunty non-free
    from the VirtualBox site at;

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

to the end, save and close. Now in a [Terminal], type;

$ wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...n/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

to add the key and;

$ sudo apt-get update

to update the system.

Install the latest virtualbox package (as of this writing it is virtualbox-3.0.4) by selecting it in Synaptic, or running this command from a terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.2.10

Add yourself to the vboxusers group:

$ sudo gpasswd -a YOURUSERNAME vboxusers

Find the devgid for ‘vboxusers’:

$ grep vboxusers /etc/group

It will return something like:

vboxusers:X:125:username

Add this line to the bottom of /etc/fstab, replace the devgid number with your devgid:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=125,devmode=664 0 0

changing devgid=125 to the number you got from the above command.

After you reboot you should now have USB support in VirtualBox, just add the usb device in VirtualBox first by adding a "filter" and using "any" in the [remote] option.

Last tested on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope. Good Luck
    Sony Vaio VGN-NS11J Laptop 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, 3 GB RAM, 320GB HD. My Linux Blog and My Folding@Home Stats

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks everyone, i just completly reinstalled virtual box with the puel one and it workes perfictly, better than the host ubuntu. (i now can see the usb in the virtual os and not the host, but thats no problem it probably just hasent mounted)
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast