Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website to Ubuntu (deb)

Beans

Website to Ubuntu (deb)

I have a great idea for an ubuntu or deb package that I want to create. I am unsure how to do this.

I have a few websites. One of the website has a way to chat with users. I want to create an application that is like a messanger, where you login and see all the users. This application would be able to be minimized and when a message is received, it would popup with the message. The application would use the mobile chat version of the website. The mobile chat version of the website would make it look like it is a native application.

How would I go about making this application?
    Last edited by thumbtak; November 24th, 2013 at 02:10 AM.

Beans

Re: Website to Ubuntu (deb)

What programming languages do you know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You can make a ubuntu web app for it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    What programming languages do you know?
    I am not much of a programer. It is simple to make the application if you think you could help. It would not be hard. Quick.
    Last edited by thumbtak; November 24th, 2013 at 05:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    You can make a ubuntu web app for it.
    I want to make something like this but basically make it contatined into its own web browser that when minimized it goes to the task bar. Also when people send messages it beeps and blinks.

Something that is kind of like Pidgin, but it does not need all the menus. Just a few. Like close, minimize, maximize, and maybe disable sounds and notifications.

I know with Android you can do this easily on a website. You put the URL and the icon along with a few simple changes, then you save it as an APK.
    Last edited by thumbtak; November 24th, 2013 at 05:31 AM.

Beans

Merely super-simplifying (dumbing-down) Pidgin or Empathy?
    Yeah, probably not difficult at all. libpurple and telepathy are both well documented.
    For that matter, so is irissi. And others.

Don't plan on anybody doing this for you. It's your idea. You are the person excited about it.
    We can give you advice, and point you in the right direction.

Beans

Merely super-simplifying (dumbing-down) Pidgin or Empathy?
    Yeah, probably not difficult at all. libpurple and telepathy are both well documented.
    For that matter, so is irissi. And others.

Don't plan on anybody doing this for you. It's your idea. You are the person excited about it.
    We can give you advice, and point you in the right direction.
    I figured that you or anyone else would not, but thought I would ask. I have no clue where to begin. Could you give me a starting point? I never designed an application in Linux.

Beans

First research and select the project you want to base from: Pidgin (libpurple) or Empathy (Gnome/telepathy)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Making a Unity Web App seems like a vastly easier way to go than rewriting everything from scratch. By adding a few commands to your web page it will be able to pop up notifications to your desktop or display the number of unread messages in the app's icon.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

First research and select the project you want to base from: Pidgin (libpurple) or Empathy (Gnome/telepathy)
    Pidgin would work. That is one I like more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast