View Poll Results: How old is your main home PC?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year or newer

49 26.49%
  • 2 years

24 12.97%
  • 3 years

17 9.19%
  • 4 years

31 16.76%
  • 5 years

25 13.51%
  • 6 years

18 9.73%
  • 7 years

6 3.24%
  • 8 years

8 4.32%
  • 9 years

1 0.54%
  • 10 years or older

6 3.24%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is your main home PC in 2013

Beans

How old is your main home PC in 2013

Last year, I started a poll to see the age distribution of "primary" PC's on this forum.

These are the rules:
    1)Use your primary PC for home use, be it a laptop, desktop, Linux, BSD, mac or otherwise.
    2) If you tend to upgrade and replace components on your pc, just use the age of the motherboard.
    3) If you don't have a home PC, just use the one you're voting from or the one you use the most frequently.

The "old" (2012) poll can be seen here: (please refrain from voting in it, you can see it for yourself once the old poll has been closed by a mod)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909153
    BTW, could a mod please close the old poll, so people can see the old results without voting?

I thought it would be interesting to see any variation this year. In the old poll, there was a noticible dip at the 2-year level and I'm interested to see, for example, if that has moved to the 3-year level.

The results showed a quick dropoff after 5 or 6 years but for some reason, there were a lot of votes for "8 years or older".

I'm also interested to see if the average age has changed by much. In the old poll, it comes to about 4.3 years, assuming an average age of 10 years for the votes for "older than 8".

Beans

Re: How old is your main home PC in 2013

My main computer is a HP P6000 series Pavilion desktop. I bought it used a few months ago. I think that this computer came out in 2009.

Its specs: Athlon X 2 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HD, nVidia GeForce 9100 graphics chip, Win Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit.

So far, it does everything I need it to do flawlessly.

I thought about upgrading the chip to a Phenom X 4 (quad core) and maybe a SSD and perhaps a USB 3.0 card. Maybe in time. I'm not a power user, so the present specs work for me well (99% web surfing).

I have a Win 7 upgrade disc, but haven't loaded it on yet b/c Vista is working well. I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu or one of its derivatives to dual boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Primary as in being used the most, I guess that would be my lappy, Toshiba Satellite L875, loaded with Kubuntu 12.04.1 amd64, its less than a year old.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!

My day-to-day laptop is about 4 years old, my "good" one (used mainly for video editing, but also if I go somewhere) I've had about 18 months. Other hardware, in various states of repair and functionality, ranges from 20-something down to about 8 years old.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

not sure how old mine is, it was not complete when i first started using it
    i ordered my 1st parts on 4/6/11 (M/D/Y) wich was just enough to get a bootable system combined with parts i already had from much older systems including a PSU from 2004 and some 20gb hdds that were idk how old (one died in a couple hrs) an old case i had that was free
    only parts i got were ram (a 4gb stick),cpu (phenom ii x4),mobo (asus m4a79xtd evo), and a basic gpu (gt 430)
    the last part i got for it was on 11/02/12 which was a better (non-flaky) NIC
    and i replaced the 2004 psu on 7/26/12
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    not sure how old mine is, it was not complete when i first started using it
    I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinnerd
    2) If you tend to upgrade and replace components on your pc, just use the age of the motherboard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have 3 desktop PCs.

The first one I bought, and also the oldest, was the Pentium 4 desktop.

I tried Ubuntu 12.10 32bit LiveDVD on that one, I've reached the desktop but it's very sluggish. Must be video issues, or I don't know.

Ubuntu 8.04 was the last version of Ubuntu that I have tried installing on that one and it works. Tested 12.10, and very sluggish.

Beans

Don't have a "main home PC", really; we have lots of computers at our house seeing regular use, but I put 6 years 'cause that's about the average age of the most-used ones. It's kind of a guess too because they're mostly second hand or refurbs.

Beans

All my PCs are new this year. They are actually less then 6 months old.

My Win7 PC Gaming Rig was built it in September.
    Then I got my wife a Macbook Air for her main system in November.
    Then I got myself a new Mac Mini on the first of December.
    We also got purchased a iPad Mini for my wife on the go and I got a iPod Touch 5th Gen for Christmas.
    Think the oldest system we got is my 7yo daughters Samsung Galaxy TAB she got for her birthday in August.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: How old is your main home PC in 2013

Two year old HP G5326uk Desktop PC.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast