Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Graphics Drivers Help

Beans

Re: Installing Graphics Drivers Help

Yeah 12.10 is troublesome with that card, I should know as I have one.
    But if it is working I would not worry about it, the only thing that sucks is no HD audio but I can live without.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello,

Unfortunately you cannot downgrade. You will have to do a fresh install of 12.04 from a burned DVD or through a USB, or perhaps a DVD/CD you can get from the internet or magazines. Personally, if I were you, I would make the switch to 12.04, but that is just me. (:

Beans

So I am currently going through the 12.04 install menu and I am at the Installation part. I selected 'Other' and it brought me to a page with /dev/sda devices. What do I need to do to install 12.04 over 12.10. These are on the list:

/dev/sda1 fat16 104mb
    /dev/sda2 ntfs 15.7gb
    /dev/sda3 ntfs 374.0gb
    /dev/sda5 ext4 244.1 gb
    /dev/ada6 swap 6.2gb

There are checkboxes next to each in a Format column. Also options:
    New Partition Table
    Add
    Change
    Delete
    Revert

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just afraid to break something.

*Edit* I also see a drop down at the bottom which lists Windows 7 Loaders and Ubuntu 12.10.
    Last edited by Mortarius; January 24th, 2013 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Are you using one HDD to install this one, or have you installed Ubuntu 12.10 and Windows on separate drives each? Or you are looking to erase Windows 7 entirely? If so and if you are using the Graphical installation (which are you using?), please see this installation guide;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

In the guide you will see this image (http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/or...1349879961.png) and the middle option that warns the installer that choosing that option will "Erase" everything on the HDD. That's the option you use if you want to install over your current Ubuntu and Windows 7. But that will mean you will lose all your files and information.

The top option is if you want to install alongside the other OS.

Beans

It's only one harddrive and i wish to keep Windows 7 as a dual boot. I am just trying to install 12.04 over 12.10. I think i need to just select the 12.10 Boot Loader from the drop down below, but I don't know if i have to format anything?
    And it is the graphical installation from a dvd image.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mortarius View Post
    Okay I will give that a try.

Thanks for all the help!
    Hey Mortarius, since you are very new to Ubuntu, I want to give you a friendly advice. Please read this book once: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html . However it is not necessary at all to read this book, but it'll really help you in understanding the basic working of Ubuntu and how it is different with Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Mortarius View Post
    It's only one harddrive and i wish to keep Windows 7 as a dual boot. I am just trying to install 12.04 over 12.10. I think i need to just select the 12.10 Boot Loader from the drop down below, but I don't know if i have to format anything?
    And it is the graphical installation from a dvd image.
    I could not find a tutorial or image reference to guide you through installing over a previous Ubuntu alongside Windows. However, I do believe this should be sufficient to your needs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Please read "Install Ubuntu After Windows" or the entire page if you wish to be sure. The link also links to further guides explaining how to partition drives, if needed, and more.

If you see an option to install over the previous Ubuntu, then I'm pretty sure that's the correct one to use. But perhaps another member or staff has a link to such a tutorial, I do not sadly. ):

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

At that screen you need to click the Ext4 partition (sda5) and press the Edit button at the bottom. Change the mount point to / (a forward slash). Continue installing and that's it!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    At that screen you need to click the Ext4 partition (sda5) and press the Edit button at the bottom. Change the mount point to / (a forward slash). Continue installing and that's it!
    Yes, I believe this is right. The installer will find the existing swap partition (sda6) and include it in the install.
    Michael

Beans

Alright, what should I change the 'use as' option to? With it being set to 'do not use paetition' it wont let me change the mount point. These options are given:
    Ext4 journaling file system
    Ext5 journaling file system
    Ext2 file system
    ReiserFS journaling file system
    btrfs journaling file system
    XFS journaling file system
    FAT16 file system
    FAT32 file system
    swap area

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast