Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    Okey, so I'm guessing you mean the 12.10 alpha3 from here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz...verview/Alpha3

by "backlight works", do you mean fn+F5 and fn+F6 works?!
    or do you mean by an applet or a manually set key combination that runs some script?
    suspend and wireless on/off work for me also with linux mint 13 ~ 12.04 with the kernel ultrablech 3.2.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu

about the asus_wmi deb, do you use 0.2 or 999.01? the wiki says you should use 999.01 by default and 0.2 only when also using the xorg-edgers repo, but the 999.01 gave me some errors therefore I used the 0.2
    I'm using alpha3 with latest updates as of today. The asus-wmi deb is the 0.2 version and works fine on 3.5.x kernels - I believe the wiki is slightly out of date on that.

I can use xbacklight to change it, unfortunately the fn+f5/f6 is still mia ;(

the asus-wmi I use is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by screemo; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Beans

okey, thanks for the info screemo. I now installed myself ubuntu 12.10 alpha3 and it works quite well, as long as you don't add "nomodeset" to the bootoptions. With "nomodeset" the screen flickers extremly and doesn't correctly draw the unity desktop.

whats very buggy is the window placement in unity when you use virtual desktops / workspaces. skype often magically moves itself to the first workspace, and on the workspace below the first one windows always slide down to the bottom of the workspace (sounds strange, but thats what I observe..)

and the performance of moving windows between workspaces is extreeeemly low. it takes like a second (and my zenbook has been upgraded to 10gb ram and a ssd with more than 500mb/s read/write speeds.) with linux mint I never saw any performance problems anywhere..

and the usb bug seems to be present here also. it is only visible by using usb 3.0 devices, so probably thats why I'm the only one experiencing it, since those are not that popular yet. however, it seems that with ubuntu 12.10 I now can recover from usb-system crashes without rebooting, just by disconnecting and reconnecting usb devices.
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; August 23rd, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    I'm using alpha3 with latest updates as of today. The asus-wmi deb is the 0.2 version and works fine on 3.5.x kernels - I believe the wiki is slightly out of date on that.

I can use xbacklight to change it, unfortunately the fn+f5/f6 is still mia ;(

the asus-wmi I use is attached.
    Do you have ubuntu installed on the ssd or the hdd?
    I tried removing the asus-wmi-dkms from kernel 3.5.0-11 but it says that the package isn't installed. It makes sense because I never installed the module via dkms. I just updated the kernel from 3.5.0-10 to 3.5.0-11.
    Then I tried installing the asus-wmi deb 0.2 on the 3.5.0-10 kernel and everything went fine in the first reboot. However, once I turned off the computer and boot up again I got stuck in the booting process.
    So I booted in recovery mode, I choose 'normal boot' and I removed the asus-wmi kernel module which fixed my booting issue.
    I believe this is associated with the behavior described on post #80 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=80)
    Maybe there is a 'race condition' going on.

Should I file this as a bug?

Beans

I've written myself a brightness script that uses the much finer controlable interface at /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness which can go in very fine steps to complete darkness. Only bad thing about is that you need root permissions to access it. I've bound the keycombination strg+F6 to gksu ~/brightness-mod.sh 1 for increasing and strg+F5 to gksu ~/brightness-mod.sh 0 for decreasing brightness

To not have to enter the password every time you use it, I've followed this guide: http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/25/...ber-passwords/

You'll find the script attached if somebody might be interested.
    If you don't like the gnome-shell notifications just out-comment line 63 of the script

UPDATE: Modified the script to first use the gnome interface for the steps 0 to 10, and only if you want to go below 0 which is not supported by the gnome interface, the script will use the intel_backlight interface
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kaefert66014235; August 26th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

okey, so about this issue that I was seeing (ubuntu 12.10 alpha3 with updates), that the ui is getting sluggish when moving windows between workspaces with strg+alt+shift+arrowkey (more sluggish the bigger & more complex the window, so browser window is the worst, simple texteditor or terminal works much better) is connected with the compiz plugin that you can find @ ccsm -> window managment -> place windows.

After disabling that plugin the moving of windows between workspaces works fine.

Another bug that I also only observe with that plugin enabled is that sometimes already opened windows get moved randomly to the bottom of the screen or get moved to another workspace (mostly the workspace on the far left)

Beans

Hello. I have configured my own kernel, patching asus_wmi, and scripting brighness, and everythink is perefect now on my ux31a (i5, 128gb, hd+). Only one thing doesn't work righ: If I put an external hdmi monitor, if I turn off the internal monitor, the external only shows a red uniform across the screen, and I must to wait a few secodns and configuration get revert.
    Any idea?
    I

Beans

Hi, I just wanted to refer anybody having issues booting when using kernel >= 3.5.0-11 or when installing the asus-wmi kernel module, to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1041883

Beans

Thanks guys!

For those of you who are running Ubuntu 12.04 (edit: or 12.10 too), here's how I got Optimus (bumblebee) fully working on my UX32VD: http://webent.altervista.org/2012/08...-ubuntu-12-04/

Hope it helps!
    Last edited by danieleds; August 30th, 2012 at 09:00 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danieleds View Post
    Thanks guys!

For those of you who are running Ubuntu 12.04, here's how I got Optimus (bumblebee) fully working on my UX32VD: http://webent.altervista.org/2012/08...-ubuntu-12-04/

Hope it helps!
    thanks for the link! Running 12.10 but it worked almosted the same (only had to manually change the second of those two ppas to distro "precise" since this ppa is not yet configured for 12.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    thanks for the link! Running 12.10 but it worked almosted the same (only had to manually change the second of those two ppas to distro "precise" since this ppa is not yet configured for 12.10
    Thanks for the info, I updated the article to include 12.10 users

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast