Thread: Unity and Gnome Classic

Beans

Question Unity and Gnome Classic

I've been using Ubuntu 12 for several months. Unfortunately I can't use Unity because I find it too slow. I also find it frustrating that I can't add shortcut parameters easily.

Is there a really quick replacement for Gnome Classic which I can use. I absolutely love speed in an operating system. I do not use much hardware, just a mouse, keyboard and a monitor. I just need a fast work horse.

I'm happy to configure Gnome classic or Unity if I can get a bit more speed out of them. I've installed the 3D acceleration drivers and turned off as many daemons as I can.
    Last edited by SpeedGonzales; October 20th, 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Solved problem

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Unity and Gnome Classic

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGonzales View Post
    I've been using Ubuntu 12 for several months. Unfortunately I can't use Unity because I find it too slow. I also find it frustrating that I can't add shortcut parameters easily.

Is there a really quick replacement for Gnome Classic which I can use. I absolutely love speed in an operating system. I do not use much hardware, just a mouse, keyboard and a monitor. I just need a fast work horse.

I'm happy to configure Gnome classic or Unity if I can get a bit more speed out of them. I've installed the 3D acceleration drivers and turned off as many daemons as I can.
    If your system is that simple why not go to Lubuntu or Xubuntu
    if you must have unity or gnome you could try cinnamon but doubt that would add much in the way of speed.
    you can try LXDE by doing the following in a terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    then logout and click on the little ubuntu symbol at the login block and select lxde.

the other possibility would be to install the Mate desktop which simulates gnome 2.x
    but is not as mature yet.

good luck
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You can also try the LXDE or XFCE session without installing the entire Xubuntu or Lubuntu desktop.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm a tad hesitant because I am having some teething problems, but in my opinion MATE is very close indeed to the original GNOME 2, and while it does have a few problems there aren't many of them and I've found workarounds for everything so far. I'd say it's certainly mature enough for general use.

LXDE and XFCE are both good as well, of course.
    I'm finding MATE to be an excellent way to retain the GNOME 2 experience in Precise - http://www.mate-desktop.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by james_mcl View Post
    I'm a tad hesitant because I am having some teething problems, but in my opinion MATE is very close indeed to the original GNOME 2, and while it does have a few problems there aren't many of them and I've found workarounds for everything so far. I'd say it's certainly mature enough for general use.

LXDE and XFCE are both good as well, of course.
    I find Gnome Classic to work just fine. Have you tried it in Quantal yet? Just

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    It also gets brought in with an install of gnome-shell.

It works great for me - fast and minimal, with just enough configurability.

I tried Mate and was not impressed with its appearance, performance, configurability, or stability. I'd rather stay with the mainline Gnome Project anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

one other possiblity is razorqt it's pretty fast for a qt based Descktop.

you can find that by following this links instructions
    http://razor-qt.org/install/ubuntu.php

you just have to try different options until you find the combo that works best for you.
    Good Luck
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

I installed LXDE, it seems to be running a bit faster. Thanks for the advice everyone.