Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Quote Originally Posted by benrb View Post
    Quick question: should a share that is mounted this way be manually unmounted before system shutdown, or will the OS take care of that automatically?
    I'm interested in this as well. Please test it and report your results

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Has anyone had any luck with NAS Drives? I have a Maxtor NAS Drive that I have hooked up to my network. I also have another Maxtor hard drive plugged into the NAS via USB. I can access them very easily from Windows Vista, but I cannot see them using Jaunty...

I have followed the beginning instructions on the first post in this thread, but the "Windows Network" does not show any other items. I cannot navigate to the drive. Any suggestions?

Dustin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by drocksvold View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with NAS Drives? I have a Maxtor NAS Drive that I have hooked up to my network. I also have another Maxtor hard drive plugged into the NAS via USB. I can access them very easily from Windows Vista, but I cannot see them using Jaunty...

I have followed the beginning instructions on the first post in this thread, but the "Windows Network" does not show any other items. I cannot navigate to the drive. Any suggestions?

Dustin
    You may have luck by following the tutorial located in the 2nd link in my sig. Some NAS devices are very difficult, but I've been mostly successful with CIFS. If you have problems, please post in that howto, and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was able to connect to it previously when I had Hardy installed. I will check the link you mentioned and see if I have any better luck. I know I have connected to that drive before, that is why it is bugging me. Trying to remember how to do things two ways is getting difficult.

Now that I found Wine, i may be more reliant on Ubuntu, provided I can get a few key programs to work...

Dustin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Excellent! I may give this a try. It works with my two NAS drives, and I've had intermittent shutdown issues mounting them via fstab. It seems as if any GUI programs can access these shares in ~/.gvfs as well (for example, I added my shared mp3 folder as a library to Exaile).

Anyone know how to keep these shares from appearing on the desktop?

As far as encrypting your fstab credentials file, that can be done in Jaunty by placing it inside your encrypted home directory (or of course you could use full disk encryption).

Beans

You can disable the mounted shares from showing up on the desktop but it also disables the desktop shortcut for USB drives, etc.

Open a terminal and run:
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    In the tree on the left expand apps. Find and expand nautilus. Select desktop. In the right pane uncheck "volumes_visible".

Nice writeup. I wanted to mention that if you have joined your computer to a Windows domain this method allows you to use kerberos to mount the Windows shares. Kerberos has always been a headache for me when using fstab or pam_mount. This method was much easier.

I unknowingly created a duplicate writeup here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1204652

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by benrb View Post
    Quick question: should a share that is mounted this way be manually unmounted before system shutdown, or will the OS take care of that automatically?
    I don't believe there's a need to manually unmount these shares. They're mounted in the same way that shares are mounted when you manually browse to them via the "Network" menu. GNOME appears to deal with it gracefully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by drocksvold View Post

Dustin
    If the NAS is not visible via the "Network" menu, you can try typing the path manually into the Nautilus location bar. Use this format assuming the network name of your NAS is "NASdrive" and its share name is "shared".

Code:
    smb://NASdrive/shared
    If you're lucky you'll get an authentication prompt at this point. If you're unlucky you'll get an error message or a blank Nautilus window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Giving this method a proper try today. I've commented out my fstab mounts and my unmount hacks and I'm mounting my NAS shares via this method. So far, so good.

Auto-mounting in Startup Applications doesn't work for me on wireless because the script is run before the connection is made. I could add a sleep command to the script, but I opted to make it a manual menu entry instead. That way if I'm not at home with my shares it doesn't try to mount them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    Excellent! I may give this a try. It works with my two NAS drives, and I've had intermittent shutdown issues mounting them via fstab. It seems as if any GUI programs can access these shares in ~/.gvfs as well (for example, I added my shared mp3 folder as a library to Exaile).

Anyone know how to keep these shares from appearing on the desktop?

As far as encrypting your fstab credentials file, that can be done in Jaunty by placing it inside your encrypted home directory (or of course you could use full disk encryption).
    I had considered the encrypted home directory idea, but fstab mounts are done early in the boot process long before a user logs in and decrypts their home directory, no?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast