Thread: Netbook shuts down when using writing software

Beans

Netbook shuts down when using writing software

In the last months I have frequently experienced the PC automatically shutting down. At first I thought that it was a hardware problem in my new netbook, but when I browse the internet or watch a video there is no problem at all. After 100 or more unwanted shutdowns I concluded that it happens when I use LibreOffice Writer. The solution seemed simple: install another text editor. So I installed Calligra Words. But the precise same problem occurred there again.

I guess that these text editors somehow depend upon some exactly similar piece of software, which is either corrupt or incompatible with my netbook. I do however not have enough knowledge of Ubuntu nor of these editors to determine what I should replace to avoid these annoying shutdowns. I hope that someone has an idea about how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Constantijn83; August 20th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Beans

Re: Netbook shuts down when using writing software

Please, inform the model of your netbook, the Ubuntu version in use and wether the machine crashes at once.

If the machine crashes while you are typing, it may be a problem of poor contact in some internal socket (power supply, HD, memory, etc.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DMaretta View Post
    Please, inform the model of your netbook, the Ubuntu version in use and wether the machine crashes at once.

If the machine crashes while you are typing, it may be a problem of poor contact in some internal socket (power supply, HD, memory, etc.)
    The netbook is a Packard Bell DOT SC-805NL with Intel® Atom™ CPU N2600 @ 1.60GHz × 4, 989.9 MiB memory and VESA: Intel®XX Graphics.

It runs Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

The machine crashed while typing, often after 20 symbols or so. Upon your suggestion however I took out the battery, cleaned the contact points and replaced it. I have now been typing for some hours already without problems so I guess that this may have solved it.

Thanks for your useful advice!

Beans

Apparently I cheered too early... it just ago happened twice in a row again. This time it didn't completely turn off but suddenly restarted. Please let me know if you have any ideas about a solution.

Thanks in advance.