Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Gnome-shell faster or only I feel like that?

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Is Gnome-shell faster or only I feel like that?

I have installed Gnome 3.8 to Ubuntu, and I find Gnome-shell responds faster than Unity. Is it only I feel that way, or do others too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is Gnome-shell faster or only I feel like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    I have installed Gnome 3.8 to Ubuntu, and I find Gnome-shell responds faster than Unity. Is it only I feel that way, or do others too?
    On this GS 3.9.1 install, I don't see an ounce_of_difference between Gnome-Shell and Unity -- which is a good thing.

IMO, GS used to be a kludge. The only reason I kept it around was out of idle curiosity, and for a fallback DE, when Unity would break.

These days, I consider Gnome-Shell to be equal to Unity in every respect, including performance.

That said, I judge that ppl are really missing out, if they haven't tried the lastest Gnome-Shell. They've definitely made many, many improvements to it, over the past few months. And, there are more changes coming almost daily. Gnome is on a roll, right now.

If someone hasn't used Gnome-Shell since (say) 3.2, I think they will be shocked at the difference(s).
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    On this GS 3.9.1 install, I don't see an ounce_of_difference between Gnome-Shell and Unity -- which is a good thing.

IMO, GS used to be a kludge. The only reason I kept it around was out of idle curiosity, and for a fallback DE, when Unity would break.

These days, I consider Gnome-Shell to be equal to Unity in every respect, including performance.

That said, I judge that ppl are really missing out, if they haven't tried the lastest Gnome-Shell. They've definitely made many, many improvements to it, over the past few months. And, there are more changes coming almost daily. Gnome is on a roll, right now.

If someone hasn't used Gnome-Shell since (say) 3.2, I think they will be shocked at the difference(s).
    Is 3.9.1 the current version in ricotz/testing? I can't even get any version of GS to work in saucy these days. I might just go for broke and try 3.9.1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Is 3.9.1 the current version in ricotz/testing? I can't even get any version of GS to work in saucy these days. I might just go for broke and try 3.9.1.
    Gnome-shell has been very troublesome in saucy for a while.
    Today with all the updates from saucy-proposed it will not run nor even start.
    You need to downgrade clutter-1.0 first, then it is OK.
    The vte3 issue has been solved for now.
    However, enabling the Gnome3 PPA (raring branch) into the saucy, Gs will work better (and with the newest clutter-1.0).
    The Gs will work well even after you enable both Gnome3 PPA (raring branch) and Gnome3 Staging PPA (raring branch).

Anyways, keep in mind that using Ricotz Gnome Testing PPA is recommended only by enabling the Gnome3 PPA and Gnome3 Staging PPA too.

Beans

Themes work better on Gnome 3, than on Unity. No idea why, though. I still find Gnome 3.8 responding faster than Unity. There is one minus in Gnome-shell, i.e, there is no way to have a icon to change keyboard layouts, which in Unity just a click away. Do you know how to do that in Gnome 3.8?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    However, enabling the Gnome3 PPA (raring branch) into the saucy, Gs will work better (and with the newest clutter-1.0).
    The Gs will work well even after you enable both Gnome3 PPA (raring branch) and Gnome3 Staging PPA (raring branch).

Anyways, keep in mind that using Ricotz Gnome Testing PPA is recommended only by enabling the Gnome3 PPA and Gnome3 Staging PPA too.
    Even though there is no Saucy branch of these two PPAs...? Usage of Raring branch is recommended? If the answer is „yes“ I'm on the right track even though I thought that I'm way off the right path...
    Last edited by zika; May 29th, 2013 at 01:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Of course, the old 'clutter' problem - I had thought it was fixed by now, so I didn't think to downgrade clutter. But in any case, I am now successfully running GS 3.8.2 from the gnome3 PPA - I thought I was before, but I had forgotten to change 'saucy' to 'raring' in the sources

However GDM 3.8.0 is not working. I get the gray screen and the top panel, but no greeter at all - just a blank gray screen.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Is 3.9.1 the current version in ricotz/testing?
    [...] keep in mind that using Ricotz Gnome Testing PPA is recommended only by enabling the Gnome3 PPA and Gnome3 Staging PPA too.
    Correct.

1. Ricotz Gnome Testing PPA
    2. Gnome3 Staging PPA
    3. Gnome3 PPA

Be V careful using "Proposed", as always. It's fun to poke bears with sticks, but...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Correct.

1. Ricotz Gnome Testing PPA
    2. Gnome3 Staging PPA
    3. Gnome3 PPA

Be V careful using "Proposed", as always. It's fun to poke bears with sticks, but...
    I had used #2 & #3, but not Ricotz Gnome Testing PPA. I'm using GS 3.8.2. I'm not sure, if there are enough extensions yet for Gnome 3.9.1.

Whether it is Unity or GS, all I want is it to help me in finding applications/files faster, and to stay away from my screen. Both of them do that quite nicely. GS has an extension for minimizing, maximizing windows, which Unity doesn't have. Unity has keyboard changer, while GS doesn't.

I'm going to use GS & Unity half the time for a week, to find out which one would stay with me. I still look forward for Unity Next, though.
    Last edited by Chanath; May 29th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting!

Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ apt-cache policy clutter-1.

gir1.2-clutter-1.0:
      Installed: 1.14.4-1
      Candidate: 1.14.4-1
      Version table:
     *** 1.14.4-1 0
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         1.14.4-1~raring1 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ raring/main i386 Packages
         1.14.4-0ubuntu1~13.10~ricotz0 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ricotz/testing/ubuntu/ saucy/main i386 Packages

libclutter-1.0-0:
      Version table:
     *** 1.14.4-1 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         1.14.4-1~raring1 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ raring/main i386 Packages

libclutter-1.0-common:
      Version table:
     *** 1.14.4-1 0
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         1.14.4-1~raring1 0
    Are these the versions you're running, too?

Everything is working fine, here...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast