Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    I have been around the forums since last year, and have experienced this myself. It seems each new user to Ubuntu wants to preach its benefits to everyone and convert the world. Let me ask you this: when was the last time this worked to convert you to anything? It just doesn't work with humans. If you try to force the decision on most people, they will reject it. Its great that you love it, but maybe it won't work for someone else, or they are happy with what they have. Ubuntu isn't the end all operating system, it does have its flaws.

Instead of trying to convert everyone by preaching to them, just mention it when asked. Carry a livecd or usb so that when you are using someone else's computer you can use that on it to do your stuff. They will naturally be curious when you boot up to it. Just use it, and if they ask you questions patiently and kindly answer them. If this were to happen, not only would we get more people trying Linux, but we would have less rants in the User Testimonials & Experiences section, since misinformation would be less likely to be used to try to make them change.

Have a nice day/night everyone! Remember this the next time you go to preach!
    @smartboyathome

i have to agree with you totally that this is typical human behavior

But is not only linux, it's everything !

Global Warming
    has been mentioned over and over for over 50 years ! Now, the new generations are thought to be more conscious, but still BIG OIL MEGACORPS want to keep drilling, governments start wars, etc.

We didn't care for wildlife till many species got extinct!

We didn't care for the ozone layer till skin Cancer cases increased dramatically.

We didn't care for Road safety till thousands upon thousands have died in "preventable" accidents..

Educating the newer generations to take better choices is the Key, plain and simple.

It's harder to show old dogs new tricks, teach the young ones or whom really want to learn.

People who Choose FOSS are also more responsible with other Human beings, with our society, think more in the planet and in the future of Human Kind.

FOSS is the right thing to do.

and like @smartboyathome said, get the word out gently so people don't get scared away.

i too get scared of "aggressive preachers"
    Last edited by madjr; July 21st, 2008 at 07:22 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!

I really don't think Linux adoption is as important an issue as the environment, though. Not really comparable.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I have been around the forums since last year, and have experienced this myself. It seems each new user to Ubuntu wants to preach its benefits to everyone and convert the world. Let me ask you this: when was the last time this worked to convert you to anything? It just doesn't work with humans. If you try to force the decision on most people, they will reject it. Its great that you love it, but maybe it won't work for someone else, or they are happy with what they have. Ubuntu isn't the end all operating system, it does have its flaws.

Instead of trying to convert everyone by preaching to them, just mention it when asked. Carry a livecd or usb so that when you are using someone else's computer you can use that on it to do your stuff. They will naturally be curious when you boot up to it. Just use it, and if they ask you questions patiently and kindly answer them. If this were to happen, not only would we get more people trying Linux, but we would have less rants in the User Testimonials & Experiences section, since misinformation would be less likely to be used to try to make them change.

Have a nice day/night everyone! Remember this the next time you go to preach!
    Agreed. That's why I never push Linux on anyone. I might give it a mention but I don't force it on anyone. When people use it and see the benefits for themselves first hand they will make their own decision. I mean I installed Ubuntu on the computer just for myself pretty much and my mom started using it. She felt it worked better than Windows and now she doesn't like using Windows. And I didn't have to do anything. It's best to just let someone try it out and see how they like and let them decide. Let Linux do the talking, it speaks for itself pretty much. There is no need to preach.
    Last edited by FuturePilot; July 21st, 2008 at 08:21 AM.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Big difference between preaching and enlightening. Many people don't even know that there may be an alternative to Windows.

Often times during a conversation, I've informed people of alternative options. Not just OS's but designs, concepts, etc. If presented properly this is usually received as constructed and beneficial. I for one appreciate being informed of alternatives and believe that many solutions are found in the sharing information and ideas,

A wise man once told me: "Don't ever underestimate the power of words".....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    I really don't think Linux adoption is as important an issue as the environment, though. Not really comparable.
    you don't see the "BIG picture".

FOSS is not about an OS or 1 app, it's about choice and open standards.

go back in time to the early 1950's and talk about the environment, wildlife, ozone, global warming etc. and they would tell you to "get lost, wtf you talking about".

We used to think that people just naturally died, now we have names for those silent diseases: Cancer, etc.

How many Women were burned alive just because someone accused them of being witches...

Fighting for Open standards is not so important "Now", but it will in the not so distant future.

Software will be everywhere even in our bodies and in all aspects of our lives. Imagine closed source software literally embedded in you brain or organs, imagine your life and that of millions really Dependant and monopolized.

Our Grand kids will thank those who fought for FOSS, Open standards and who created a base for transparency in the industry.

like it or not we are creating an alternative base for the future. Is Not about linux, but openness and transparency.

That's the big picture.

Remember that the first persons who believed the world was not flat were sentenced to prison and even to death.

Sure, we could just forget FOSS and open standards altogether and focus on getting the world more dependent on big software companies.

FOSS and choice is not important at all, is better to stay as sheep. Let those Big companies do w/e they want and take every decision for us. Is a lot easier to do what the masses do, why should i waste energy and use that thing called Brain
    Last edited by madjr; July 21st, 2008 at 10:50 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Big difference between preaching and enlightening. Many people don't even know that there may be an alternative to Windows.

Often times during a conversation, I've informed people of alternative options. Not just OS's but designs, concepts, etc. If presented properly this is usually received as constructed and beneficial. I for one appreciate being informed of alternatives and believe that many solutions are found in the sharing information and ideas,

A wise man once told me: "Don't ever underestimate the power of words".....
    Yes, though I think this falls under my "mentioning" category. I know it is kind of in between, but still. Some people just push too much, which is why I made this topic.

About environmental: I do agree FOSS is a standard, and generally agree with you. What you are saying really fits perfectly into an essay (more like article ) that I wrote yesterday for my English class. I may post it on here in a day or two after I get feedback.

Last thing: Please, everyone, put this topic in your signatures if you have room. Help new people see this so that they don't start preaching and sending the wrong message.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Done! How does it look?

Indeed, that's something I have been doing for a while now. Besides that, people are much more willing to learn when they have, themselves, asked. If they aren't interested, they won't care -- and if they do care, they may easily forget. If that person gets something from you, instead of you dumping something on them, they will be much more satisfied with the idea.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; July 21st, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have been around the forums since last year, and have experienced this myself. It seems each new user to Ubuntu wants to preach its benefits to everyone and convert the world. Let me ask you this: when was the last time this worked to convert you to anything? It just doesn't work with humans. If you try to force the decision on most people, they will reject it.
    This is true, and I think you're right in pointing out it doesn't apply to only Linux. With anything in life, when someone discovers something new and exciting, she naturally wants to convert other people to the same thing in order to share in the joy she experiences. But people don't like to be converted or evangelized to. It doesn't matter if it's religion or OS choice. People just want to be left alone. You can inform people of the existence of choices, but the aggressive conversion process has to go.

Beans

I preached and actually got someone to try it out.

But then again, it was more of a question/answer type thing and they wanted to know about it.
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans

Actually, just yesterday while i was mowing, I was thinking this EXACT thing.

I was actually thinking about starting up a group with a couple of other people to help people properly advocate linux.

One of the biggest problems is that *most* linux supporters disrespect microsoft and apple. It is OK to dislike something, but when was the last time you liked being told that something you (may have) bought for a condiderable ammount of money was utter crap?

There needs to be a more mature linux crowd.

I was going to write a big long post about it here today, but then saw this

really weird. I honestly was just about to email my friends to start off making a website and stuff about this very topic.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast