Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by psfal View Post
    As an exclusively Gnome Classic user, 12.04 is the last release I can move the min, max, close buttons to the right, where they belong. The inability to install my personal choice of desktop and have it function perfectly in any newer versions of Ubuntu is a deal-killer for me. I've tried the Ubuntu Gnome version and their excuse for "Classic" is very poor indeed. Unless I can find a way to move the buttons to the right where they belong 12.04 will be the very last version of Ubuntu that I use... Don't bother commenting about Gnome Classic no longer being supported, that's bull. I use Debian w/Gnome Classic the majority of the time already as I find ways to get my Netflix Desktop and various other things up and running, preparatory to dumping Ubuntu altogether... All they had to do was leave the original Gnome 2.0 alone and available but they chose to "force" people to move to less appealing DEs... I like my simple and exquisite Gnome Classic 2.0 and my available applets in the top panel and I will keep it as long as it is available in whatever distribution I have to use to have it... There is simply no other DE that I find pleasing... Yes, I've tried them all (MATE sucks, IMHO it's hideous)
    In terminal enter
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout ':minimize,maximize,close'
    Problem solved.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; January 9th, 2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psfal View Post
    As an exclusively Gnome Classic user, 12.04 is the last release I can move the min, max, close buttons to the right, where they belong. The inability to install my personal choice of desktop and have it function perfectly in any newer versions of Ubuntu is a deal-killer for me. I've tried the Ubuntu Gnome version and their excuse for "Classic" is very poor indeed. Unless I can find a way to move the buttons to the right where they belong 12.04 will be the very last version of Ubuntu that I use... Don't bother commenting about Gnome Classic no longer being supported, that's bull. I use Debian w/Gnome Classic the majority of the time already as I find ways to get my Netflix Desktop and various other things up and running, preparatory to dumping Ubuntu altogether... All they had to do was leave the original Gnome 2.0 alone and available but they chose to "force" people to move to less appealing DEs... I like my simple and exquisite Gnome Classic 2.0 and my available applets in the top panel and I will keep it as long as it is available in whatever distribution I have to use to have it... There is simply no other DE that I find pleasing... Yes, I've tried them all (MATE sucks, IMHO it's hideous)
    Not a good way to request help my friend!

Have you even read my OP and followed the links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12833089

Buttons still can be moved to the right, the method has just changed due to the deprecation of gconf.

Calm down and request help rather than ranting or the mods will undoubtedly just start moving your posts to some place where you'll be less likely to get help

EDIT: You should know this already:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169915

Just ask for help instead of ranting and raving.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; January 9th, 2014 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I now see what you all have been saying about gnome-screensaver. I believe with this recent update it now functions as a lock. My screen goes black and turns off after 10 minutes. Although there is no "screensaver" functionality to it.
    Maybe they should call it gnome-lock instead. I would still rather have a screensaver versus a black screen.

On my windows 7 setup, the screensaver kicks in after 10 minutes, the monitor turns off after 30 minutes and the PC goes to sleep after 60 minutes. I would like that in Ubuntu as well but have not seen a way to do it.
    Precise goes to sleep mode after 30 minutes but all of the rest of my 'Buntus never go to sleep. But, I can suspend them as needed.

I'll take Xscreensaver

Beans

@ Alberts,

I hope your still reading here

I signed up for the mailing list and I'm receiving messages OK but not able to send to list yet, I've PMed Jonathan about that so hopefully I can get it straightened out soon. Anyway, after reading this:

1) The Applications menu is now a mess. Applications that were previously in the Accessories menu now appear in Accessories, Utilities, Sundry and Other. The System Settings submenu was moved under Applications instead of System Tools. Etc etc, the changes don't make much sense except maybe only for gnome-shell.
    Is it possible to somehow ship/use the previous version of /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu ?

Can you fill bug for this? I agree with you, I don't like new menu too...

1) Lets ship old applications.menu with gnome-panel. This is simple, I already can upload patch for this. I added applications.menu from gnome-menus 3.4.0. In this case ubuntu should make new patch to add Software center to applications menu.

2) Install old applications.menu file only in ubuntu. I can create merge proposal for this if needed, but I would prefer first solution.
    I filed this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1267787

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    @ Alberts,

I signed up for the mailing list and I'm receiving messages OK but not able to send to list yet, I've PMed Jonathan about that so hopefully I can get it straightened out soon. Anyway, after reading this:

I filed this bug report:

I am reading here and i will continue to do it.

Why you are not able to send to mailing list? Just reply to received e-mail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    @ Alberts,

I filed this bug report:

I me too'ed it. I wondered about how convoluted it had gotten. I believe you can go into Main Menu, which ironically happens to under Applications >Sundry. Well I guess that makes the point well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    I am reading here and i will continue to do it.

Why you are not able to send to mailing list? Just reply to received e-mail.
    Sort of complicated. The sign up process rejected my yahoo mail acct, the same account I use for everything Ubuntu related:

https://launchpad.net/~lbsolost

So I used an old sbcglobal.net address that still dumps mail to my yahoo account to complete the sign up process, so I'm receiving mail from the list but when I reply it still shows it's coming from yahoo so I always get messages like this:

Your mail to 'gnome-flashback-list' with the subject

Re: [gnome-flashback] Regressions from previous gnome-panel
    releases

Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.

The reason it is being held:

Post by non-member to a members-only list
    I'm not at all interested in creating a new email acct since I use that for Launchpad, Ubuntu QA, and all of my Ubuntu GNOME communications so I'm just waiting for a reply from Jonathan

BTW Bugzilla had no problem with my email when I created an account to file my first bug report there:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=721613

Beans

As expected more info has been requested here:

So I'm going to use this as a "whiteboard" to document what I consider to be the most egregious of the changes. The questions are rhetorical ATM, I'll keep rebooting until I'm satisfied that my list is fairly complete

(1) System Settings tree view added, but certainly not needed.

(2) Other added - only contains Personal File Sharing in Ubuntu GNOME, not sure how to describe Ubuntu:

Screenshot from 2014-01-11 04:21:35.jpg

(3) Sundry added. Orca Screen Reader moved to Sundry, but Onboard is still in Universal Access. Main Menu was moved from System Tools > Preferences to Sundry.

(4) Utilities added.

(5) It appears to me that we tried to copy the GNOME Classic "Applications Menu" extension, but flashback is not Classic and they're not us

I'm thinking I could summarize this along these lines:

It appears to me that an effort was made to copy the appearance of the GNOME Classic "Applications Menu" extension. In so doing the following categories were added:

Other - This requires some serious thought! It looks like this needs to stay as not to break Unity because it displays shopping lenses and web-apps!

I'm gaining slowly here. The Other category was added in Quantal to accommodate Unity lenses and web apps were added later:

quantal_menu.jpg

Sundry - Orca Screen Reader moved to Sundry, but Onboard is still in Universal Access. Main Menu was moved from System Tools > Preferences to Sundry.

System Settings tree view - just totally unnecessary.

Utilities

##############################

I want to see what this addendum to the bug report looks like before I post it there:

To explain in greater detail, the sub-menu "Other" was added beginning with Quantal to display shopping lenses and later to also display web-apps which is arguably fine. I personally have no problem with that.

But in Saucy it appears an effort was made to copy the appearance of the GNOME Classic "Applications Menu" extension. In so doing the following sub-menus were added to 'gnome-panel':

(1) System Settings tree view added, but certainly not needed since System Settings also appears in System Tools as well as under the username.

(2) Sundry added, but sparsely populated. Orca Screen Reader moved to Sundry from Universal Access, but Onboard is still in Universal Access (being legally blind myself I refer to such changes as rearranging the furniture while I'm not home). Main Menu was also moved from System Tools > Preferences to Sundry which makes it a bit more difficult to eliminate Sundry if one so wishes.

(3) Utilities added, but also not really needed as all it accomplishes is relocating a large number of apps from Accessories and System Tools to a new location. Again just rearranging furniture.

In summary I'd add that 'gnome-session-flashback' need not mimic the new GNOME Classic session nor vice versa.

Two potential fixes, one upstream and the other at the Ubuntu level, have already been proposed here:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnom.../msg00011.html
    Last edited by kansasnoob; January 12th, 2014 at 05:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I can't find the post on here but, I was able to once again add the patch from this bug to get Flashback (with compiz) loading quicker. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1256961

When I tried it before it only started fast but the top and bottom panels would never appear, but since the new kernel installed today it works again.

Fantastic!!! I'll leave the times in killscreensaver.sh alone because for now it doesn't matter as long as they get executed prior to 10 minutes passing.
    But, at least I can get my conky do appear a lot faster.

Things are looking up. Glome-flashback dependency of gnome-screensaver has been changed to a depends. Although albertsmuktupavels mentioned not to remove gnome-screensaver just yet because it will break gnome-flashback.
    But, the future is looking brighter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Gnome 14.04 'Flashback with compiz'

As said by Cavsfan "But, the future is looking brighter. "

For the very first time I've got top and bottom panel, and I can't add my normal indicators/apps to the top panel, even time....can't add date to it

meant to mention, right-click top or bottom panels don't do anything either

any help appreciated
    Last edited by Hazzabin; January 12th, 2014 at 01:01 AM.

Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast