Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethernet Killer

Beans

Re: Ethernet Killer

AAHHH, I get it... It looked like there was only one prong, I'm not used to you euro's and your 220v outlets...
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

wouldn't that work for power over ethernet. I have rigged a POE device where i had to use the 4 unused wires in the ethernet cable to provide power to a wireless transmitter. It had a DC adapter though so it was not 120 volts being delivered to the transmitter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm pretty sure Power Over Ethernet doesn't use 230V AC straight out of the wall socket

I remember it's more like 25-60V DC..

Anyway, that cable saved my day. I'll probably have to make one like that for myself some day, just for the fun of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RudolfMDLT View Post
    I do some help-desk/installation work over holidays to for extra pocket money - I would just love to get a call from some one right after they had plugged it in! ("I just plugged my network into the wallsocket and now my box won't switch on, it's a brand new pc dammit!?")
    I have twice encountered people who don't understand why their computer doesn't work after they switched the power supply from 240 to 110.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thisllub View Post
    I have twice encountered people who don't understand why their computer doesn't work after they switched the power supply from 240 to 110.
    LOL! Exactly the type that'll fall for a prank like above, hook line and sinker!
    My philosophy in life: If it's not broken, tweak it 'till it breaks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    AAHHH, I get it... It looked like there was only one prong, I'm not used to you euro's and your 220v outlets...
    You'd like our 3 prong ones then.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I work in an IT help desk. I was thinking of using one of these to fry my work computer since it's so old and slow, thereby getting a much newer model (but it wouldn't matter, those are also pretty old).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Back to sleep thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12