Page 77 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by acermobile View Post
    Kernel issue for suspend:

I have no time for (multiple) re-compilation of the kernel and I will be unavailable for quite a while. Can anyone try out the following:

- Change i8042.c and recompile kernel (see below). Restart WITHOUT the suspend fix.
    Try which one works/does not work.

Changes - Version A:
    static int i8042_pm_reset(struct device *dev)
    {
    unsigned char param[128]; // CHANGE
    i8042_controller_reset();
    i8042_command(param, I8042_CMD_CTL_TEST); // CHANGE

Changes - Version B:
    static int i8042_pm_restore(struct device *dev)
    {
    int error;
    unsigned char param[128]; // CHANGE

error = i8042_controller_check();
    if (error)
    return error;

error = i8042_controller_selftest();
    if (error)
    return error;

i8042_command(param, I8042_CMD_CTL_TEST); // CHANGE

Many thanks in advance.
    Ok, I'll go read a bit about this stuff and see how hard it is. To be honest, that code above barely makes sens to me. For example I wouldn't be able to spot a typo.

No promises

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    Yes, but as with karmic after installing the alsa backport stuff, I need to press my lips against the internal microphone and shout really loud. External mic works fine though.

There is 1 thing to be aware of though, you need to select the right input. The default input was my sound output being captured, I only noticed when I was listening to the news while getting my skype to work. 1st you need to start PulseAudio volume control (pavucontrol in a terminal) and go to the recording tab. It will say "No application is currently recording audio". Next you start a test call in skype and you'll see it listed, internal analog stereo is my mic and monitor of internal analog stereo is the capture of my soundcard's output.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the last part of your post. Anyway, I see skype listed but can't get any audio unless I hit the microphone or shout loud. I'm really just sick of going over and over again, I just don't get why every other piece of software works fine but not skype. I wish there was an alternative to skype, but at least I am not aware of any (Ekiga works ok, but I won't get the rest of the people I talk to to use it, specially when it's not even available for Windows now).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, but as with karmic after installing the alsa backport stuff, I need to press my lips against the internal microphone and shout really loud. External mic works fine though.

There is 1 thing to be aware of though, you need to select the right input. The default input was my sound output being captured, I only noticed when I was listening to the news while getting my skype to work. 1st you need to start PulseAudio volume control (pavucontrol in a terminal) and go to the recording tab. It will say "No application is currently recording audio". Next you start a test call in skype and you'll see it listed, internal analog stereo is my mic and monitor of internal analog stereo is the capture of my soundcard's output.
    miegiel,
    have a look at my post in this thread. I did fix completely the skype issues in "forcing" ALSA to be used instead of pulse. I can call without any troubles now in skype.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...92#post8881992

Beans

would anyone know whether it is safe to downgrade to a previous BIOS version, and if yes what would be the simplet go to go about it, either through Windows or Ubuntu? Are all previous BIOS versions compatible?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qnano View Post
    would anyone know whether it is safe to downgrade to a previous BIOS version, and if yes what would be the simplet go to go about it, either through Windows or Ubuntu? Are all previous BIOS versions compatible?

thanks
    previous page
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bob View Post
    I have a 3410 so I don't know if there is any difference to the 3810 but when I flashed 1.24, there was no saving in power and the fan was spinning permanently on battery.

I reverted to 1.17 and the laptop is nice and quiet again.

BTW, if people would like to know how to flash an older version, there is a DOS flashit option /mc, which ignores version checking.

Code:
    flashit JM3100FR.117 /mc
    It looks like the little script accepts one option, so this may work too:

Code:
    f.bat /mc

Beans

Hmmm, it's messy, but when I go off the power grid I run 2 scripts I found somewhere in the forums. I really need figure out what they exactly do to put them in 1 script.

edit :
    I should add that I use conky to
    Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | grep rate: | awk '{print $3}'
    the mA drawn from my battery onto my desktop. But that's only when running on the battery, plugged in it displays the battery charging rate. I'm not sure how powertop ant cating /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state compare.

Oh, and I have the 3810T with the SU9400 core duo without the ATI graphics.

Anyway, here they are :
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

sudo su -c "echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode"
    sudo su -c "echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy"
    sudo su -c "echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/link_power_management_policy"
    sudo su -c "echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host2/link_power_management_policy"
    sudo su -c "echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host3/link_power_management_policy"
    sudo su -c "echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host4/link_power_management_policy"
    sudo su -c "echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host5/link_power_management_policy"
    sudo su -c "echo 500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs"
    sudo laptop_mode start
    # sudo hdparm -S 4 /dev/sda
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on
    run with sudo
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Author: Riskable
    # http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8736103#post8736103
    #
    # Description: Enables every power saving feature I know of
    #

# Enable Intel HD Audio power saving
    echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
    echo 1 > /dev/dsp # Gotta make a sound to turn it on

# Enable various kernel power saving features
    echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

# Enable SATA power management
    for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/*; do echo "min_power" > $i/link_power_management_policy; cat $i/link_power_management_policy; done

# Enable Wifi power management
    /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power on

# Enable the most aggressive hard drive power savings
    hdparm -B 1 -S 12 /dev/sda # Note: May not work on the Acer Timeline's hard drive

# Use tmpfs (RAM disk) for /tmp
    echo "tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    And yeah, need to run them again after a reboot.
    I added these lines:
    sudo su -c "for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*; do echo 1 > \$i/power/autosuspend; done"
    sudo su -c "for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*; do echo auto > \$i/power/level; done"
    sudo su -c "/etc/init.d/bluetooth stop"

And I'm now at 7.6W at best (with a 3810T-SU7400 too)

Thank you.
    Last edited by fmarcia; April 4th, 2010 at 02:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by within View Post
    miegiel,
    have a look at my post in this thread. I did fix completely the skype issues in "forcing" ALSA to be used instead of pulse. I can call without any troubles now in skype.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...92#post8881992
    *mutters* It was the good old "unbalance the input" trick again. Should have tried that 1st.

Run alsamixer >> press F4 >> move to CAPTURE >> raise the right channel to the max and mute the left channel to the .... uh ... min.

It wouldn't suprise me if that's the only thing I nedded to do in lucid to make the internal microphone work for skype.

Beans

previous page
    I 've seen that already, but this "flashit" command does not work in DOS under my computer. I don't know if it is a native Windows command or an additional programme that needs to be downloaded.

I even googled it buy I could not find any sites mentioning this command other than in this forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qnano View Post
    I 've seen that already, but this "flashit" command does not work in DOS under my computer. I don't know if it is a native Windows command or an additional programme that needs to be downloaded.

I even googled it buy I could not find any sites mentioning this command other than in this forum.
    It's an executable in the DOS directory in the zip file, you need to be in the (extracted) directory to run it.

Beans

A tangential question: has anyone been able to install Debian on a
    Timeline 3810T? I want to give it Debian testing a try, but I can't figure out how to install it from a USB stick. I've tried Unetbootin but it doesn't boot, and all other methods I've found to do that end up in some sort of kernel panic. I'm not sure if the issue is the hardware or my not being able to set it up from a USB stick...

Page 77 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast