Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any tools to analyze kernel panics in G4 iMac?

Beans

Re: Are there any tools to analyze kernel panics in G4 iMac?

Folks:

Bumping this up since there hasn't been any response to the latest question or even to the title of the thread asking about tools or utilities for Linux that could either do "deep cleaning" like "applejack" or that can diagnose issues that would be causing kernel panics in two separate partitions . . . ??????

I can't conclude that it isn't necessary, because both the Linux side and the OSX side were plagued with kernel panics for quite awhile . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

Folks:

Thanks for the kind attention, very much appreciated . . . latest update is that I decided to try to experiment with the iMac a bit by plugging the FW connection to the ext HD back in again and then doing a cold reboot into OSX since my knowledge of how to fix Linux is limited . . . . Just after logging in I again got the classic greyed screen with the chilling words . . . "You need to restart your unit" . . . . Unplugged and tried the other FW port with same results . . . . Then tried to run "AJ AUTO" but each time it got to the "repair permissions" phase there was a violent kernel panic that rocked the process . . . tried to run that 4 or 5 times, then remembered that previously I started with "AJ auto" . . . but the kernel was again violently "panic-ed" . . . .

So, the paroxysms of KPs have returned, possibly having to do with the FW port, possibly not . . . since unplugging the FW cable did not stop the KPs . . . . But, right now, we can't get through running AJ . . . it might just be there was a brief flash of trouble-free computing after running AJ, but in running the computer the last breath was spent . . . ????? : - )))

I'll try again until hopefully the full AJ process can be run . . . if there is some Linux utility that could clean the system or analyze why kernel panics are happening might be worthy of running from the Xu/Lu side . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

To whom:

In the interest of science I'm posting the latest updates on the KP situation and its effect on the Xu/Lu partition . . . . After plugging in the FW and getting several KPs in OSX and trying to run AJ and not being able to complete it w/o a KP, I tried to boot into Xu/Lu and could not get to a GUI . . . I just got a black screen, and I believe the mouse cursor could be seen . . . . Thinking that AJ may have somehow wiped the Yaboot items I tried to boot into a Super Grub 2 CD using the C key . . . and that also did not work, we just went back into OSX w/o the Yaboot screen showing up at all . . . I tried to leave the CD in and boot using the option key, but the CD did not show up to choose from . . . . So, the Linux partition does show up in the Option OSX boot manager window, but just goes to a black screen, can't get into SG2 . . . .

I'd still be interested in hearing about utilities that could be used to help Xu/Lu recover from the KPs . . . that are possibly related to the FW port?????

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

one suggestion is to disassemble and replace the hard drive
    and NOT use the Firewire make it clean inside and reconnect cables and Memory etc.

because it sounds like a hardware fault (dirty, heat, age)

the CD player can provide these problems

usually self-extension cables and pull it through the CD cover so that with an easier way to access the
    switch / disconnect the hard drive or CD

you can also run the Live CD without the hard drive plugged in if you have enough memory

and to format the hard drive completely

I guess you tried to remove the battery, sappat PRAM, and CUDA

badblocks can be one thing to identify the sectors but it is a temporary solution (a computer that I have is one of a number of bad blocks, but which has been isolated and has served for three years in daily use)

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com.ar/2...errors-and.htm

or doing a ILAMPA

goodluck

Beans

@abtabt:

Many thanks for your post . . . agree that it seems like a hardware problem, right now I'm focusing on the FW, but have yet to plug back USB or speakers, etc. So far I haven't done any "surgery" on the HW end . . . .

I did manage to get into "single user" and tried to do "fsck" but I obviously didn't know what I was doing, but I did manage to get the GUI fired up and it ran w/o crashing, but it did show me a "crash report" error window, so there might be a crash log to read. I'll have to read through the Linux Poison links, I did find one of them in a google search.

Right now, the problem is that the wired connection through Network Manager is not working and won't let me connect, and this has been a traditional problem in Linux on this computer, so I ran a few commands to try to get it back, but none responded. I don't have Disc Utility loaded in Xu/Lu, I think I tried to get it installed awhile back when it was cashing every five-seconds, but it didn't work--I wanted to try to see if DU could "repair the disk" from the GUI . . . . So. I'm back in OSX typing this post, there has been a little progress in terms of reviving the Linux side, now I would just need to test for bad blocks or try to learn how to run fsck . . . but it seems like if I could just get the ethernet back up the system might be OK.

But thanks for the suggestions about running a stripped down machine, that's kind of amusing; it may get there. I'd have to read through your post a few times; I get the "clean stuff off" idea, but I didn't understand the: "usually self-extension cables and pull it through the CD cover so that with an easier way to access the
    switch / disconnect the hard drive or CD" . . . that doesn't seem to be translating well in English . . . anyway, no worries, right now I don't have time to break open the iMac . . . . It's just been a series of issues that keep cropping up as far as keeping a Linux system running on the iMac . . . now we're back to the basic ethernet connection--in the past, running "sudo modprobe sungem" was enough to bring it back, that isn't working now . . . .

Thanks for the reply though,

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If Network Manager is not working well

i do like this

code

nano /etc/network/interfaces

and add follow in interfaces

auto eth0 # or eth1 or what yours is
    iface eth0 inet dhcp # or eth1 or what yours is

and then

code

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and off course this will work when you boot normally

and if you want back to basic hash the lines

about cables out off CD what i mean was take a longer ide and power cable then you can try different HDs or CD players

and i will suggest LUBUNTU CD 12.04 for test badblocks ,fcsk.etc

btw sound will work and Suspend too (if you use UBUNTU 12.04 CD it will not work with out some tweaks

Beans

@abtabt:

Thanks again for the follow-up and details . . . although I did most of those steps which perhaps we discussed many moons ago on the MintPPC forum . . . I even did the "ifup" gambit, the network/interfaces looks like you've mentioned . . . I logged out and in . . . The applet says something like "Network Manager is not available" . . . bit of a sticket wicket, eh? If I'd want to download some update I'd need the internet, etc. Sort of interesting that this problem has followed along in all the Debian-based systems I've had installed in the iMac . . . some system problem, kernel panic would then break the internet connection, making it that much more difficult. I'll have to try to find the threads where I was posting that problem, but previously after doing all the other steps you've mentioned it was the "modprobe sungem" that fixed it before--this time that isn't working . . . yet . . . .

and i will suggest LUBUNTU CD 12.04 for test badblocks ,fcsk.etc
    I'm assuming that you mean to boot the install CD and use that to repair the disk . . . OK, again, as I mentioned I was having a problem booting the CD drive . . . . And as far as sound goes, right, I originally did the Xubuntu installation, but then added the LXDE desktop, and then I think you posted your xorg.conf file in a thread, which I have; but right about that time is when the KPs started happening and the main push has been to just get the iMac working . . . so, the continuing saga continues . . . the basic computer functions are more or less working, now for the Xu/Lu side the next step is internet connection . . . and then later suspend & sound.

Thanks for being there, much appreciated.

e.e.p.

Beans

Gents:

"Network Manager is not running" is what the error message is saying . . . I've tried all the suggestions on the "networking restart" listed by abtabt, I've read through and ran the UbuntuPowerPC wiki that links to the Lubuntu wiki for "network manager is unmanaged" . . . ran those commands . . . . Nothing. And, very strange, I've tried booting up in the Lubuntu and Kubuntu LiveDVDs . . . to try to run fsck, and when I follow the rsavage method to boot into a clear screen using the LiveDVD . . . it fails. If I enter the boot parameters with a space between
    Code:
    video=offb: off
    "offb:" and the "off" there is a frenzy of activity recognizing an error, and then it boots into the 8hz screen . . . barely readable . . . .

I'd like to try to fix the ethernet connection so I could download "disc utility" or something to try to repair the disc to see if that will fix the problem(s), or update the system to see if that would fix the ethernet connection . . . I even tried to boot a SuperGrub 2 CD to try to repair the partition, but it isn't being recognized. Could I boot up in the Xu/Lu system with some LiveDVD loaded in the tray, and then somehow use the Terminal to boot or select the DVD as "mounted" and then run fsck? I tried to follow some advice on booting into "single" user and then "umount" the home partition, but it said, "device is busy" . . . .

Seems like a perfect storm of karmic interference on getting a Linux system to run in the iMac for longer than a few weeks . . . clearly there is a hardware issue going on, but now on the OSX side, the computer runs fine, connects to the ethernet w/o a problem, etc . . . . Back in Xu/Lu the system boots OK and I can run Terminal and do stuff, but it just won't connect to the net. Running "sudo ifconfig" just shows the "lo" info, but not the "wlan0" . . . . Any thoughts would be appreciated.

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abtabt View Post
    If Network Manager is not working well
    i do like this
    code
    nano /etc/network/interfaces
    and add follow in interfaces
    auto eth0 # or eth1 or what yours is
    iface eth0 inet dhcp # or eth1 or what yours is

and then

code
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    and off course this will work when you boot normally
    @abtabt:

A few days ago I was re-re-reading your post and realized that I actually didn't have exactly what you had typed in /etc/network/interfaces . . . I had "allow hot-plug eth0" . . . and we had some rainy weather here in SoCal so instead of going for a bike ride I played with the iMac Linux partition . . . took a few times of trying different code, but wound up taking out the "#Network Manager" line and just putting what you have put in your post pasted above . . . and then ran "sudo ping google.com" and indeed the internet is still working this morning . . . !!!!! So I ran update/upgrade last night, it still is taking a long time to boot the Xu/Lu side, I'm still getting "Crash report" error window, the Network Manager applet of course is showing an "X" . . . but, I'm typing this in Xu/Lu 12.04 Firefox . . . . . As I mentioned previously, I've had problems getting the Lu Live DVD to boot in any readable form, so it's made it hard to try to "repair disk" from the Live DVD . . . perhaps I'll again try to boot to "linux single" and see if I can run "fsck" . . . not sure how to "test for blocks" from the CLI . I also tried to install "disk utility" from the CLI, but it came back "utility not found" . . . . Looking for a utility that can run from the GUI to repair the system . . . so far no advice on what apps might do that . . . . It's interesting that straight Wheezy installed in my iBook has a Disk Utility app, but Xu/Lu doesn't seem to show it???????

Anyway, thanks for your post, it did help to fix the immediate ethernet problem, now maybe I can try to switch the xorg.conf file to get Suspend to work . . . but it still seems like the system is detecting the kernel panic damage, but doesn't seem to be able to repair it in spite of multiple reboots in and out of Xu/Lu . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hallo i suggest you to reinstall with Lubuntu CD not DVD to get a clean install

if not CD drive work cant you use firewire or if you are a handy man
    change the hard drive

its good to read tings twice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast