Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhacker View Post
    Fedora just haves X.org,Ubuntu has xvesa and xorg.
    Fedora haves very small and ugly drivers,it doesn`t support most video hardware,Ubuntu has most video drivers.
    Fedora uses rpm`s wich are ugly,Ubuntu has strong deb`s.
    fedora has ugly gui,Ubuntu has shiny orange
    Fedora has huge and out-of-date updates,Ubuntu has small fixes in very small times.This makes it strong.
    Ubuntu has a lot of appsin installation,Fedora has just gnome-based apps like OpenSolaris.
    LOL...

That has to be the most biased, ignorant load of crap I've read in a while...

Nice.

=D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nvidia drivers in F10 are easy to install but difficult to setup, in U810 it's just a few mouse clicks and your done with Nvidia drivers & compiz both. Compiz can be very difficult to setup in F10.
    Adding a printer in F10 is also very problematic if it's a printer on the network that is. also newer printer drivers are also not available by default in F10, it's the same list of drivers that they have always used.
    My overall opinion of F10 is it's coming along well but it will take time for them to catch up to even where Ubuntu is. Fedora 10 looks great though visually. basicly this "it has to be free" stuff gets in the way of Fedoras ease of setup Ubuntu seems to have found a way around this. If however you want a Distro that's totally free Fedora is it, as long as you dont need MP3 playback, nvidia drivers, any ability to play movies, compiz, or network printing. If web surfing & email is all you need then Fedora is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ultimate F10 how to. here ya go..

Code:
    su

to become root.

Then run

rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

This adds the RPM Fusion repository (a merger or Dribble, Freshrpms, and rpm.livna.org) to our package manager.

Unfortunately the RPM Fusion repository doesn't have libdvdcss in its repository, therefore we also add the livna repository (which contains only that package):

rpm -Uvh http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/10/i386/livna-release-9-2.noarch.rpm

Next we add the Adobe repository which provides the Flash player and the Adobe Reader:

rpm -Uvh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

Finally we add the Skype repository - as there is no rpm, we have to do it manually:

gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/skype.repo

[skype]
    name=Skype Repository
    baseurl=http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/fedora/updates/i586/
    gpgkey=http://www.skype.com/products/skype/linux/rpm-public-key.asc
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=0

7 Installing Additional Software

Now that we have added additional repositories, a lot more packages are available in our package manager for installation, especially a big deal of our needed packages. To install them, go to System > Administration > Add/Remove Software:

The Package Manager opens:

Use the search field and select the following packages for installation (* is a wildcard; e.g. mplayer* means all packages that start with mplayer) and click on Apply afterwards:

* f-spot
        * flash-plugin
        * filezilla
        * thunderbird
        * amule
        * azureus
        * openoffice.org*
        * AdobeReader_enu
        * gnucash
        * scribus
        * amarok
        * audacity
        * banshee
        * mplayer
        * mplayer-gui
        * gtkpod
        * xmms*
        * DVDRipOMatic
        * kino
        * vlc
        * mozilla-vlc
        * xine*
        * brasero
        * k3b
        * bluefish
        * kdewebdev
        * java
        * compat-libstdc++-33 (needed by RealPlayer)
        * ffmpeg
        * lame
        * libdvdcss
        * libXp
        * mjpegtools
        * kernel-devel (needed by VMware)
        * xinetd (needed by VMware)
        * gcc (needed by VMware)
        * gcc-c++ (needed by VMware)
        * perl-devel (needed by VMware)
        * perl-ExtUtils-Embed (needed by VMware)
        * wget

Afterwards, the selected packages will be installed. This can take a few minutes, so please be patient.

8 Inventory (II)

Now let's check again what we have so far by browsing the menus again:

Our inventory should now look like this:

Graphics:
    [x] Gimp
    [x] F-Spot
    [ ] Picasa

Internet:
    [x] Firefox
    [ ] Opera
    [x] Flash Player
    [x] FileZilla
    [x] Thunderbird
    [x] Evolution
    [x] aMule
    [x] Azureus/Vuze
    [x] Transmission BitTorrent Client
    [x] Pidgin
    [x] Skype
    [ ] Google Earth
    [x] Xchat IRC

Office:
    [x] OpenOffice Writer
    [x] OpenOffice Calc
    [x] Adobe Reader
    [x] GnuCash
    [x] Scribus

Sound & Video:
    [x] Amarok
    [x] Audacity
    [x] Banshee
    [x] MPlayer
    [x] Rhythmbox Music Player
    [x] gtkPod
    [x] XMMS
    [x] dvd::rip
    [x] Kino
    [x] Sound Juicer CD Extractor
    [x] VLC Media Player
    [ ] Real Player
    [x] Totem
    [x] Xine
    [x] Brasero
    [x] K3B
    [ ] Multimedia-Codecs

Programming:
    [ ] Kompozer
    [x] Bluefish
    [x] Quanta Plus

Other:
    [ ] VMware Server
    [ ] TrueType Fonts
    [x] Java
    [x] Read/Write Support for NTFS Partitions

9 Flash Player

To see if the Flash plugin (which we installed before) is working, start Firefox. Then type about:plugins in the address bar. Firefox will then list all installed plugins, and it should list the Flash Player
    I been using F10 x64 since it released on my big rig and im lovin it! Better than Ubuntu in many ways.
    Last edited by buntunub; February 3rd, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beast2k View Post
    My overall opinion of F10 is it's coming along well but it will take time for them to catch up to even where Ubuntu is.
    Fedora catch up to Ubuntu?!? In what way... ease of use? That's like saying that Slackware has a long way to go in order to catch up to Linux Mint.

Fedora is NOT Ubuntu -- it is not aimed at the newbie crowd like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. It is Fedora...

If however you want a Distro that's totally free Fedora is it, as long as you dont need MP3 playback, nvidia drivers, any ability to play movies, compiz, or network printing. If web surfing & email is all you need then Fedora is great.
    Jeez.. I guess I need to uninstall World of Warcraft, my Nvidia drivers, and all my divx movies because, according to you, I can't do this stuff on it...
    Last edited by Antman; February 4th, 2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Fedora catch up to Ubuntu?!? In what way... ease of use? That's like saying that Slackware has a long way to go in order to catch up to Linux Mint.

Fedora is NOT Ubuntu -- it is not aimed at the newbie crowd like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. It is Fedora...

Jeez.. I guess I need to uninstall World of Warcraft, my Nvidia drivers, and all my divx movies because, according to you, I can't do this stuff on it...
    Fedora 10 needs to catch up to Ubuntu in the area of setup not the install or ease of use, it's the easiest thing in the world to use. It's just a lot easier to set up ubuntu then Fedora.. If Fedora is NOT aimed at the newbie crowd then should it not say as much on the Fedora web site? I did not anywhere say "you can not do" I am just saying compared to ubuntu it's a lot more difficult to set things up after the inital install. The origional poster wanted to know how fedora compared to ubuntu and as I said in my last post "in my opinion" ubuntu is easyer to setup. It's my opinion based on what happened when i tried it, nothing more. Your experiences may be different and juging by your post your getting on quite well with it so you need not uninstall your WoW or Nvidia drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Fedora 10 needs to catch up to Ubuntu in the area of setup not the install or ease of use, it's the easiest thing in the world to use. It's just a lot easier to set up ubuntu then Fedora.. If Fedora is NOT aimed at the newbie crowd then should it not say as much on the Fedora web site? I did not anywhere say "you can not do" I am just saying compared to ubuntu it's a lot more difficult to set things up after the inital install. The origional poster wanted to know how fedora compared to ubuntu and as I said in my last post "in my opinion" ubuntu is easyer to setup. It's my opinion based on what happened when i tried it, nothing more. Your experiences may be different and juging by your post your getting on quite well with it so you need not uninstall your WoW or Nvidia drivers
    Fedora not including the Nvidia drivers and other copyright and patented software is more about them being sponsored by Redhat and based in the USA. Redhat make money, they would be a perfect target for the owners of MP3, for example.

Link: www.iht.com

IMHO, Fedora do things right. It makes things harder for those who don't know how to get things done. That's not the fault of Fedora developers though, I think they do aim to make Fedora easier for new users. The stupid software patent laws and patent troll companies are the real people preventing Fedora from being easy. Another solution would be for people to switch to open source formats. That won't happen until the end users really get to understand why those patented formats are bad, I feel ubuntu isn't helping here and Fedora is.

Beans
    Hidden!

been trying fedora 10 since yesterday, and i got to say,,,yum is slow (well, not specifically yum, but its download mirrors)...got me to download 400mb of updates for 5hrs! compared to using ubuntu + apt-get within just an hour...

still i'm planning to stick around fedora, i mean, you will still learn something, right?

also another option is to just install all my application in fedora thru tarballs, but i think it will be the last option... =P

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deuphil.kaufmann View Post
    been trying fedora 10 since yesterday, and i got to say,,,yum is slow (well, not specifically yum, but its download mirrors)...got me to download 400mb of updates for 5hrs! compared to using ubuntu + apt-get within just an hour...

still i'm planning to stick around fedora, i mean, you will still learn something, right?

also another option is to just install all my application in fedora thru tarballs, but i think it will be the last option... =P
    For me yum is pretty fast and I don't have the problems that you mentioned. What may help is to install the yum-presto and yum-fastestmirror plugins. The yum-fastestmirror plugin helps yum choose a fast mirror for you (I think the default is to use local mirrors which may not be ideal if they are slow). The yum-presto plugin enables yum to use delta rpms for your updates. Delta rpms are much smaller than full rpms and therefore don't take as much time to download.

I also think that comparing yum and apt-get in the context above is wrong. Fedora updates their OS regularly when compared to Ubuntu, so they usually have more updates in their repositories. Personally I don't see much difference in using dpkg with apt and rpm with yum (or any other rpm frontend). With most modern distros, once you get to know your way around a distribution and delve deep into the packaging tools, you will find that they are more or less the same.

Beans

I tried Fedora 10 recently for about a week.. would be the longest time i would install a non debian based disro on my personal laptop.. in many ways i prefered it to ubuntu .. for one it detected all my hardwares (which isn't saying much because i use mainly intel based hardware since the system came preinstalled with ubuntu) even then Ibex didnt detect my webcam, and thinkfinger in the repo didnt all dont work .. i had to do alot of extra work to get things that just worked on hardy heron to work on ibex .. ibex really effd up .. broke lots of hardware compatibility. but what broke the camel's back was Pulse Audio.. on fedora i never had this problems .. webcam,pulse Audio,thinfinger .. all worked without extra tweak than what was necessary for setup.. the over desktop experience was awesome.. the artwork, is top notch.. but the one thing that i couldn't leave with was package management which was a big let down IMHO.. yum wasn't just as good as apt-get .. packagekit was damn too slow.. it would take forever to update.. and it was very buggy.. i really missed synaptic which is years ahead of packagekit .. i even installed yumex but even that would hang for long hours.. in the end .. packaging made the decision for me.. and right now ..(just this morning) am back to ibex .. it was a hard decision .. if only the packaging could have been better .. if only
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Artwork , hardware detection and kde is better than ubuntu.But apt > yum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast