looking for a laptop os

im looking for a distro that will fit a laptop with the following specs

Model: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2030

CPU: 1.5ghz caleron M
    RAM: 1 gb
    HDD: 2gb CF card. (read speed 45mbs)
    WLan: Broadcom BCM4318
    VGA: UniChrome Pro IGP Rev 01

I want something that is light,boots fast and easily supports the hardware.

Just had a spin at arch, and i cannot get the Graphics card to work properly.
    Last edited by markp1989; January 31st, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans

Re: looking for a laptop os

Puppy Linux would be a perfect fit. It has some of the best hardware support around.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

the network card has always been abit of a bitch, with all distors i have tried. Are there and mini PCI wlan cards that you would recomend that have "out of the box" support with most linux distros?
    Last edited by markp1989; January 31st, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: looking for a laptop os

Gos from Google is a great little distro.

It's based on Ubuntu but has Wine and bunch of little GoogleDesklets you can install.

Real Mac looking out of the box, though.

I've been using it for the last couple of days testing different distros for my daughter who wants to make the switch from PCLOS.

thinkgos.com
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Try Xubuntu. http://www.xubuntu.org/

Try going to Hardware Drivers (I believe it is under system settings or something like that) and installing the proprietary driver there.

Your card works easiest on an ubuntu-based distro (like xubuntu)--all you have to do is go to hardware drivers and install it. You will need a cabled connection of course.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarblePanther View Post
    Try Xubuntu. http://www.xubuntu.org/

Try going to Hardware Drivers (I believe it is under system settings or something like that) and installing the proprietary driver there.

Your card works easiest on an ubuntu-based distro (like xubuntu)--all you have to do is go to hardware drivers and install it. You will need a cabled connection of course.
    I have never found the restricted drives all that good with this wifi card. always has reduced range.

EDIT: currently downloading puppy at 350kbs. should be done in no time

Beans

Do you have the option for the STA driver? My Broadcom card absolutely flies with it. I'm not sure if it is available for your card--if it is, try that out. Otherwise you'll have to use ndiswrapper or a usb-wireless card.

Oh and no need for Puppy--your laptop is plenty capable Ubuntu, though Xubuntu runs the lighter XFCE DE out of box. I run it on my eeepc and it is very fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarblePanther View Post
    Do you have the option for the STA driver? My Broadcom card absolutely flies with it. I'm not sure if it is available for your card--if it is, try that out. Otherwise you'll have to use ndiswrapper or a usb-wireless card.

Oh and no need for Puppy--your laptop is plenty capable Ubuntu, though Xubuntu runs the lighter XFCE DE out of box. I run it on my eeepc and it is very fast.
    i just tried puppy from the live cd, its improved alot since i last used it. my monitor runs at full resolution out of the box.

WIFI is detected, and scanning detects the AP, but it fails to pass the connection test

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Gos from Google is a great little distro.

It's based on Ubuntu but has Wine and bunch of little GoogleDesklets you can install.

Real Mac looking out of the box, though.

I've been using it for the last couple of days testing different distros for my daughter who wants to make the switch from PCLOS.

thinkgos.com
    For the last time, gOS is not by Google, it is independant from Google.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

^
    he's right

Google, Google Icons, and the Google Logo are trademarks of Google Inc. Cloud and gOS are not affiliated with Google or their partners.
    --from the gOS site

anyways...

xubuntu should fit fine on your 2gb card (my xubuntu install was i believe 1.69 gb on my eeepc)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast