Page 272 of 289 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by zippytex View Post
    SOLVED! Found a way to do it, much like in windows. In Windows you can change the behavior of the double click to a single click by going to control panel, folder options and checking the single click. I wish we could do that on Ubuntu.

But, a doubleclick is a small price to pay NOT to have use windows.

Mary
    Mary , try googling the question. Puppy Linux is set to single click by default and any Linux can be used either way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raspatan View Post
    sincerely, I cannot get the quality that I want with libreoffice or openoffice as I get with MSoffice. I switched fully to Ubuntu only because I have access in my university or via remote desktop to a windows system where I can use MSoffice when I need it. Else, I would have both installed.

Also some software do not exist for linux. Sure, there are always alternatives but when you work in an environment where most of the language is in windows software and you communicate on it I cannot spend time learning other languages because that would complicate my life and work even more.
    Try SoftMaker Office , no wories! SM is very similar to MS Office, the learning curve is a matter of minutes. A windows virus will complicate your life I gaurantee! The number one problem people had with the machines brought to my shop was windows viruses, by far!
    Last edited by frank cox; April 5th, 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Beans

To whoever said that winmodems will not work in Linux I switched to linux primarily because waiting for virus dat files to download made a miserable experience dreadful. About 60 % of them will work in Puppy Linux 431 or newer versions with the additional drivers and usually it is easier than windows to set up. Ubuntu and it's variants require a bit of time but many will work as well. If you are stuck on dialup buy a hardware modem. You will get a better connection and it will work on any os. If you are too cheap to do that and too lazy to look up Linux compatible modems I have yet to see any system that won't recognize the cheap usb winmodems on ebay, around 10 bucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by frank cox View Post
    Funny but the F.B.I. and the Australian Secret Police use a Puppy Linux disk for their banking and absolutely warn against ever using windows, but I guess their idiots?
    I agree, but: careful with words like there, their, and they're, if you're going to throw around the "i" word.

Beans

LOL , I am also now and know handicapped.

Beans

For those who think MS Office is necessary it can be run under wine with just a few cosmetic flaws. A better solution is Softmaker Office, it flies , the PP alternative is superior , Word and Ecxell are totally compatible and it cost less than half for 3 licences on the honor system that MS for one not to mention you have to pay 139.00 to install to another machine, your laptop for instance and if your machine fails or you upgrade to a better machine you CANNOT move your program to another machine. Also Sm Office has a Linux version and a windows version, if I was forced a gunpoint to return to Billy Boxes I would poney up the 99.00 {for me 45.00 as I am a returning customer} because I like SM better period! Who needs a Billy Box?
    Last edited by frank cox; April 5th, 2013 at 02:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Wink Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Funny but the F.B.I. and the Australian Secret Police use a Puppy Linux disk for their banking and absolutely warn against ever using windows, but I guess their idiots?
    Open Office is not the only alternative, Softmaker office is totally compatible and way faster.

It would be nice if everyone could be appeased with free software but if you don't know how to use the terminal you don't really know windows either. Worrying about viruses on Linux is like worrying about a 747 landing on you, it;s possible but why worry , the odds are millions to one.
    I just hope that they're better with grammar.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Uf course they is batter , they went's two's gammer skool !
    Last edited by frank cox; April 5th, 2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: grins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For those who think MS Office is necessary it can be run under wine with just a few cosmetic flaws. A better solution is Softmaker Office, it flies , the PP alternative is superior , Word and Ecxell are totally compatible and it cost less than half for 3 licences on the honor system that MS for one not to mention you have to pay 139.00 to install to another machine, your laptop for instance and if your machine fails or you upgrade to a better machine you CANNOT move your program to another machine. Also Sm Office has a Linux version and a windows version, if I was forced a gunpoint to return to Billy Boxes I would poney up the 99.00 {for me 45.00 as I am a returning customer} because I like SM better period! Who needs a Billy Box?
    Actually, they changed Office's licensing not long after the initial announcement.

Microsoft Decides To Allow Transfer Of Office 2013 License To New PCs
    Among these is that an Office 2013 license can be transferred to a different machine only once in 90 days and at a given time, it will be active only on a single machine.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raspatan View Post
    sincerely, I cannot get the quality that I want with libreoffice or openoffice as I get with MSoffice. I switched fully to Ubuntu only because I have access in my university or via remote desktop to a windows system where I can use MSoffice when I need it. Else, I would have both installed.

Also some software do not exist for linux. Sure, there are always alternatives but when you work in an environment where most of the language is in windows software and you communicate on it I cannot spend time learning other languages because that would complicate my life and work even more.
    I second this, LibreOffice is no match for MS Office, but MS Office 2003 runs pretty well on wine.

Page 272 of 289 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282 ... LastLast