Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a legacy driver for a HD 4870 Graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Where can I get a legacy driver for a HD 4870 Graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit?

So after trying to install the proprietary drivers for my HD 4870 cards and twice breaking my system I learned the hard way that AMD no longer supports the HD 4870 in Linux. Does anyone know where I can get a legacy driver that will work the the 4870? I tried using the Additional Drivers app but that ended up breaking my system. Reverted back to open source drivers. If I cant find a legacy driver will Team Fortress 2 still work with the open source drivers?

Comp Specs:

Graphics: HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire)
    RAM: 4GB
    Processor: AMD Phenom X4 2.6 GHZ
    Last edited by sir_robert007; May 22nd, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Where can I get a legacy driver for a HD 4870 Graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04 64 b

The link below should work (but ONLY if you are using 12.04.1):

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

If you are using 12.04.2, you're out of luck because that uses a new X-server version that is incompatible with the drivers from this link.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Re: Where can I get a legacy driver for a HD 4870 Graphics card for Ubuntu 12.04 64 b

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    If you are using 12.04.2, you're out of luck because that uses a new X-server version that is incompatible with the drivers from this link.
    False, 12.04.2 users can easily revert back to the 3.2.x kernel and Xserver 1.11.x
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-lts-precise
    sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-raring linux-generic-lts-quantal linux-generic-lts-raring
    Reboot and install driver.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    False, 12.04.2 users can easily revert back to the 3.2.x kernel and Xserver 1.11.x
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-lts-precise
    sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-raring linux-generic-lts-quantal linux-generic-lts-raring
    Reboot and install driver.
    Right ... and what do they do when they get kernel upgrades after that?

Beans

They don't if they remove the packages listed... (they'll only get 3.2.x updates).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    They don't if they remove the packages listed... (they'll only get 3.2.x updates).
    OK, so if this is so simple and they are not faced with problems related from un-asked-for kernel upgrades, why do others so strongly recommend against doing this kind of driver installation? Any ideas? (Asking because I'm in a similar situation and would like do this -- but have held off).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    OK, so if this is so simple and they are not faced with problems related from un-asked-for kernel upgrades, why do others so strongly recommend against doing this kind of driver installation? Any ideas? (Asking because I'm in a similar situation and would like do this -- but have held off).
    Probably because it's a lot easier just to tell people that they can't use 12.04.2 with the legacy driver. Quite frankly, I'm not sure the commands I've offered will completely preclude future kernel/X upgrades (from Ubuntu 13.10/saucy for example). There may be some metapackage that I'm not aware of that pulls these things in (I only run precise in a VM) or Ubuntu 12.04.2 may not come with the 3.2 kernel at all. However, I like to think that most of the users I'm giving this advice to can figure these things out for themselves ("Hmm, maybe I shouldn't install that xserver-xorg-lts-saucy package...")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

go to here and download driver: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

after download unzip driver and place on desktop
    open terminal ctrl-alt-t

sudo amdconfig --uninstall
    (just so there is nothing to mess this up)

just drag and drop unzip ati driver into terminal will look like this

example:'/home/YOUR-USER-NAME/Desktop/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run'

BUT change to this:

sudo sh '/home/YOUR-USER-NAME/Desktop/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run' --force
    hit enter
    enter password

And ever tho the two guys above me are fight over what kernel you are on. They are right you should be on kernal 3.2.0.41 anything like 3.5.0.? the driver will not work

command for terminal: uname -a

OOOOOO AND P.S this computer i am on can run steam and will play all steam linux game ATI 4250 HD Good luck
    Last edited by snafu006; May 13th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have the two following reasons I do not recommend the scripts that downgrade X Server, patch the kernel and install the legacy driver:

1. None of us knows for certain what will happen in future upgrades or updates that will conflict with or cause dependency problems with the changes.

2. 12.04 and 12.04.1 are supported for another 4 years. In that time, a user can enjoy Ubuntu without risking a fatal crash due to the changes.

Just my two cents.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snafu006 View Post
    go to here and download driver: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

after download unzip driver and place on desktop
    open terminal ctrl-alt-t

sudo amdconfig --uninstall
    (just so there is nothing to mess this up)

just drag and drop unzip ati driver into terminal will lokk like this

example:'/home/YOUR-USER-NAME/Desktop/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run'

BUT change to this:

sudo sh '/home/YOUR-USER-NAME/Desktop/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run' --force
    hit enter
    enter password

And ever tho the two guys above me are fight over what kernel you are on. They are right you should be on kernal 3.2.0.41 anything like 3.5.0.? the driver will not work

command for terminal: uname -a
    Unfortunately, this will not work for 12.04.2 and beyond without downgrading X Server and replacing the kernel.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast