Thread: [Help] Get Unity-Launcher on the desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question [Help] Get Unity-Launcher on the desktop

Is there any way to get the unity-launcher (that thing that isn't a dock ) which sit in the left of the screen in the Ubuntu-netbook 10.10; to get it in the desktop version instead of using of AWN or Docky.

I googled it & I searched in the software center but found nothing helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: [Help] Get Unity-Launcher on the desktop

Hi,
    My advice will depend on if you are already using Ubuntu 10.10, or are you wanting to try out Unity in another version such as 10.04

If you are using Ubuntu 10.10, you could simply install 'ubuntu-netbook' which is what I have done. For netbook to work it requires graphics drivers that support 3D though. If you install ubuntu-netbook, you can log out and have the choice to start Ubuntu Netbook or Ubuntu Desktop.

If you are using 10.04, you can install the ubuntu-netbook (ubuntu-netbook-unity-default-settings) by adding a PPA repository.
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/new-unity-...0-1010-04.html

As far as running Unity in the Ubuntu Desktop, 'I think' all I know is that it requires Mutter as the window manager (command: 'mutter --replace' ?), not metacity, plus running whatever binary that is or starts unity. This is something that I haven't tried to do yet though.

Edit: I checked to see if running Unity in Ubuntu Desktop is possible, and it looks like it is. I used the commands:
    Code:
    mutter --replace 
    unity
    Hope this helps.

PS. Just to let you know ahead of time... As of now, Unity is far less configurable than most docks are. Even the GTK2 themes for the gnome desktop can't be changed while using the Ubuntu Netbook (they don't apply)... unless I simply haven't figured out how to do that yet.
    Last edited by ankspo71; October 12th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thks for your quick reply, but I have already tried Ubuntu unity & I didn't liked it. But what I want is just the unity-launcher were applications shorcuts exists (which sits on the left).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fimfree View Post
    Thks for your quick reply, but I have already tried Ubuntu unity & I didn't liked it. But what I want is just the unity-launcher were applications shorcuts exists (which sits on the left).
    dockbarx applet, does the same thing. make sure you install the extra themes so get the unity themes.
    https://launchpad.net/~dockbar-main/+archive/ppa

i use mine dock style.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

is there any way possible to force unity-launcher to autohide?

or even better: make "workspaces" work in the 2d netbook launcher?

coz unity is taking too much display-space from me, and i preferred the netbook launcher of 10.04 to unity... so workspaces is the feature i appreciate most....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rinaldow View Post
    is there any way possible to force unity-launcher to autohide?

or even better: make "workspaces" work in the 2d netbook launcher?

coz unity is taking too much display-space from me, and i preferred the netbook launcher of 10.04 to unity... so workspaces is the feature i appreciate most....
    I just F11 full-screen my apps when working netbooks any way. Especially browsers, word processing and photo management - F11 and F11 to escape it. Otherwise I find many of the accessory apps really don't have to use that extra 1/2 inch to be productive. Maybe its just me but an auto hide dock on 10" screen is always popping out accidentally when working apps in full screen....gets annoying.

Cheers

Beans

@kerry S

Your setup is a great idea and I am using dockbarx as well. I have a small graphic issue though- when i add a vertical panel, i see a lot of horizontal lines. as if there are a lot of horizontal panels stacked on each other. Do you know how to fix this?