Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by jomex View Post
    i'm having the same issue: no indicator applet for network

interestingly, when i start System -> Preferences -> Network Connections i don't see any connections even though i'm connected. i did the steps described above (managed=true). i then get a "wired connection" in "Network Connections" called "ifupdown (eth0)" which i can't edit and it is set as "used: never"(?).

when i do "gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces" and edit it to
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

the connection is called "Auto eth0" "used: never".
    if u want to run wired network you can do it with pppoeconf file. it will scan your port and then will ask ur username and password....... then read the instruction and ready to go for wired networking
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by ankur1990 View Post
    Hey Fellas
    nm-applet problem solved
    Solved it own after searching long.
    Method---
    in the terminal type "sudo edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf" change the "managed=false" to "managed=true" and then save it.
    then in the terminal type "killall nm-system-settings"
    and then reboot......
    it works for me...
    Try with urs and tell me the result
    It is unfortunate that this solution didn't work for me.

I had an internet connection on one of my computers yesterday and now...I can't even connect to my wireless router because the nm-applet refuses to appear on the upper panel. It's a good thing that I have a backup computer. My netbook hasn't experienced that problem thankfully. This is coming from the desktop version of 10.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    It is unfortunate that this solution didn't work for me.

I had an internet connection on one of my computers yesterday and now...I can't even connect to my wireless router because the nm-applet refuses to appear on the upper panel. It's a good thing that I have a backup computer. My netbook hasn't experienced that problem thankfully. This is coming from the desktop version of 10.04.
    try this

I had to go into /etc/NetworkManager/ and then right click on "nm-system-settings.conf"->properties->open with->text editor.

I then sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and then changed "managed=false" to "managed=true" and then save it. Reboot . To get the applet to appear on the top panel, I had to put mouse pointer over top panel, right click->add to panel->Notification Area.

OR

try system->preferences->network connections, choose wired/wireless/mobile broadband/dsl->select your connection then edit or add a connection, tick connect automatically. That should at least give you an internet connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by stefcep View Post
    try this

I had to go into /etc/NetworkManager/ and then right click on "nm-system-settings.conf"->properties->open with->text editor.

I then sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and then changed "managed=false" to "managed=true" and then save it. Reboot . To get the applet to appear on the top panel, I had to put mouse pointer over top panel, right click->add to panel->Notification Area.

OR

try system->preferences->network connections, choose wired/wireless/mobile broadband/dsl->select your connection then edit or add a connection, tick connect automatically. That should at least give you an internet connection.
    Ok, I tried it again. The first time, I had to wait a long time before I established a connection to my router again. The second time, was no different. I had to wait at least a half hour, so there is a bug with network manager. Hopefully someone has already put out a bug report.

When I finally get the connection established, I'll switch to wicd until there is a permanent solution to this bug.

notification area now works again when i add it to the panel, thank you all!

solution: after having done all prior steps, re-add the Notification Area again NOT Indicator Applet
    Last edited by jomex; June 11th, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

Originally Posted by ankur1990 View Post
    Hey Fellas
    nm-applet problem solved
    Solved it own after searching long.
    Method---
    in the terminal type "sudo edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf" change the "managed=false" to "managed=true" and then save it.
    then in the terminal type "killall nm-system-settings"
    and then reboot......
    it works for me...
    Try with urs and tell me the result
    This fix worked for me. I believe its a combination of making sure that the Notification Area is on the panel, as well setting "managed=true" in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file as ankur suggests.

Beans

hey

thanks a lot ankur1990, i had been facing this problem for sometime in Ubuntu 10.04 server edition and i followed your instructions exactly and it helped me get back the nm-applet icon in the system notification area.

This disappearance of the network manager icon from the notification area is a frequent bug and usually happens with me after a big update(300Mb or greater approx.). After each such update we the users are bothered by this annoyance.

I will try to find out why this occurs and how can it be solved.

thanks again
    Karan Pratap Singh

P.S.
    for those that are getting the icon but not the internet check your internet settings by typing: "sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces" (without the quotes) and see whether your eth0 settings are ok(if you are using a wired connection)

if you want a dynamic ip to be set everytime you connect your computer to your modem, then the following settings should be thier in the interfaces file:

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

if you want a static ip to be assigned for your pc then write the following in the interfaces file:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address "the ip address you want without the quotes"
    netmask 255.255.255.0

after this save the interfaces file and type the following in the terminal:

sudo ifdown eth0(assuming that your interface device is eth0)
    sudo ifup eth0

Hope this helped!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: network manager applet missing (AND NOW BATTERY) in pane in 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by umouklo View Post
    Hello - I tried the "solution" and got the following results:

error after typing the edit command:

lorieu@umouklo-laptop:/etc/NetworkManager$ sudo edit nm=system-settings.conf

Warning: unknown mime-type for "nm=system-settings.conf" -- using
    "application/octet-stream"
    Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/octet-stream"

I got around this by using gksudo gedit nm=system-settings.conf

However, when I type: killall nm-system-settings

I get: nm-system-settings: no process found

After rebooting the userid that had the problem appeared to be fixed. However, the userid I had that was working lost both the battery and network icon from the panel.

STILL NO SOLUTION FOR ME. I NEED BOTH IDs TO WORK. THE PANEL NEEDS A LOT OF DEBUGGING IN 10.04. IS THIS GOING TO HAPPEN?
    I agree. I got the nm-system-settings not found as well, and my problem remains even after editign the conf file as stated.

The quoted solution doesn't work for me - I'm having all sorts of panel notification applets missing - network manager, parcellite, Gnome DO...
    Last edited by neglesaks; June 29th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
    When downloading free software, please use bittorrent, that way you help others get it, too! (Tell your friends to do it as well.)

DON'T download a release before the actual RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT. Why? Read this.

Beans

Smile Re: network manager applet missing in pane in 10.04

1st things 1st...here's what I'm working with:

MoBo: Asus M4A89GTD PRO USB3 - [No OC]
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2gHz [No OC]
    RAM: 4GB [No OC]
    Media: Dual WD Black Caviar 640GB 6gb/s 64MB Cache Drives
    LAN: Onboard Realtek 8111E/8168 GigaBit [Native adapter on this Asus board]
    VGA: Onboard ATI HD4290 [Native adapter on this Asus board] [Again, no OC]

[OC=OverClocking]

That having been said, I'm running into something that threw a wrench into all my workings with netmgr/networking. Have been installing a Dual Boot with Vista and Lucid, straight factory setup, no eyecandy, nothing special. Ubuntu installs fine, reboots, comes up fine once or twice, then netmgr bails irrecoverably. Tried:

- Enabling it in Startup, since it would default to disable
    - Editing the NM-SYSTEM-SETTNIGS.CONF file, false 2 true - using both sudo and gksudo, to no avail.
    - Eventually started getting UNKNOWN MIME-TYPE when attempting to further edit this conf file.
    - Installing on both separate drives on their own, same results.

Finally, I broke down and used an old 40gb Quantum drive. Installed Lucid on its own, and works like a charm. I mean everything; restricted drivers, bluetooth, compiz, apps, cairo dock, even wireless! I was able to dual boot on a Dell Optiplex, but using XP, not Vista.

So, I will be wiping it clean, and installing dual environment on this drive Quantum drive since I don't wanna lose my only clean installs on this Dell, to start narrowing things down from there - maybe even use XP instead of Vista. Not sure if it's Vista, the drive/cache size limitations, tried both 6, 3gb/s and AUTO settings on BIOS , Loaded Default Settings as well - still working on it.

Of course, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Good things, everyone
    -Scribe
    Last edited by djscribe; July 21st, 2010 at 01:56 AM.

Beans

I am having the same problem. The wireless network indicator was there this morning. When I started the computer this evening, no indicator. The applet was running and I could get on-line.

I changed the MANAGED to false. Killall didn't work. No change after rebooting.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast