Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS!

Quote Originally Posted by shochatd View Post
    Last night I did the upgrade to 12.04 on my brand new Lemur Ultra, and all is well. However, there were a few hitches along the way:
    1. The scariest moment was when it said that the device to install grub to was missing (!) or had a different name, and mentioned to options: /dev/hda and /dev/hda1. It said if I wasn´t sure to choose both (I think that is what it was saying). So I checked both and it worked. I´m sad to have seen this because it could be totally bewildering to someone who had no idea what these things mean. I´ve done many Ubuntu upgrades on various desktops and never seen this before. Now that the system is up and running, I see that / is on /dev/hda1. Does anyone know what was going on here?
    2. Once the system came up, I proceeded to download the .deb for ¨System 76 Driver¨ per the instructions, which say to choose the default option of picking Ubuntu Software Center. However, that option did not show up, even as a non-default. So I looked in /usr/bin to see what the executable is called and didn´t find it. So I ran the thing via Dash and then used ps to see what it is called, finding that the answer is simply /usr/bin/software-center. Armed with that knowledge, I went back to the ¨helper¨ dialog and via Filesystem, picked that executable. After all that, Ubuntu Software Center came up and told me that the thing I wanted to install was already installed! So why do the instructions say you have to download and install it? Anyway, the rest of the instructions (running it, doing a restore) worked as advertised. Once again, I´m afraid someone without Unix knowledge might have been totally thrown by this.
    Well, all´s well that ends well. I´m very happy with the machine. Nice to see that they finally added an easy-to-find way to alter the launcher icon size. But they should have done the same with the hide option. I should think that would be popular with the limited screen space of a laptop, especially since you can no longer shove it out of the way (for some reason). How is someone supposed to think of ¨CompizConfig Settings Manager¨? Presumably, Launcher auto-hide will be in ¨Appearance¨ in a future release.
    -- David
    +1

The Upgrade Available message popped up for me, so after backing everything up, I performed all available updates then the upgrade to 12.04. I was also thrown by the grub choice, and like David I checked both choices. During the upgrade process before this there were 2 instances where I had to view the details in the Upgrade GUI to select "OK" in the Terminal to continue the upgrade. A complete newby would have been stumped there.

Everything seems to be working properly, but I wish I knew what the proper choice for Configure Grub-PC should have been. Is there anything I'll need to do from here? Will I need to install/reinstall the System76 driver?

Serval Pro 7 with the OEM 11.10 install updated to 12.04
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

It's my understanding (from the document linked from the 1st message in this thread), that after you've done the regular Ubuntu upgrade, you have to reinstall the System 76 Driver (although it seemed like it was already there in my case). If you go into System Settings, you'll see the big black and white 76 if you have it. Then you need to run that and select "restore system". Anyway, that's what I did and things seem to be working fine.
    -- David

Beans

A strange thing happened to my Ratel?

Hi all,

I just wanted to mention this rather strange accurance which happened yesterday (Sunday 05/06).
    I had turned on my System76 Ratel (a great Machine) and surfed a bit.

Then left to go to my Mom's house for the rest of the day leaving my Ratel on and connected to the internet (no worries its not Windwoz).
    When I returned home and sat down at my Ratel I noticed that the Automatic Updates had come on and was downloading the Update to 12.04 LTS (from my current 11.04).
    Weird, anyway I stopped the update nothing was upgraded, but it seemed to run the upgrade automatically and stopped on a request for user intput in a tick box, hence I was able to stop upgrade.

This is kinda weird I think.

Thanks
    Regards
    JR223

Last night I figured I was behind in my upgrades (just a year) and I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 without any issues. Now, this morning, I was going to upgrade from 11.10 to the latest and greatest 12.04 and it pops up with an error.

Not enough free disk space
    The upgrade has aborted. The upgrade needs a total of 3,219 M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 184 M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.
    So I ran df -h with the following output
    Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1              14G  8.1G  5.1G  62% /
    udev                  2.0G  4.0K  2.0G   1% /dev
    tmpfs                 785M  952K  785M   1% /run
    none                  5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none                  2.0G  180K  2.0G   1% /run/shm
    /dev/sda3             442G   30G  390G   8% /home
    Not sure where it is looking for the 3.2G.

I have a daru3 (Darter Ultra), not sure if this is really a system76 issue, but thought I would start here.

-JK

Problem resolved its self. I was able to upgrade without any issues a few reboots later. Not really sure what caused the issue, so that will eat at me. But the overall issue of not upgrading is done.

Now I can get to recustomizing.

-JK

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS!

How big is 12.04 supposed to be and what can I do free up some space? Just upgraded to 12.04 and my Lemur Ultra thin now has full 40gb SATA solid state hard drive. Computed janitor ran and did little to nothing.

How big is 12.04 supposed to be and what can I do free up some space?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    How big is 12.04 supposed to be and what can I do free up some space? Just upgraded to 12.04 and my Lemur Ultra thin now has full 40gb SATA solid state hard drive. Computed janitor ran and did little to nothing.

How big is 12.04 supposed to be and what can I do free up some space?

Thanks!
    you should delete or uninstall stuff you dont need.

check your home folder and ubuntu software center for stuff you can get rid of.

you can also backup some stuff to ubuntu one.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    you should delete or uninstall stuff you dont need.

check your home folder and ubuntu software center for stuff you can get rid of.

you can also backup some stuff to ubuntu one.
    Both of your suggestions would only free up 10gb max as Ubuntu 1 is 5 gigs the software I have might be 5 gb. I say again the 40gb HD is maxed out by 12.04 and I have run clean sweep.

Beans

Do SYSTEM76 laptops work well?? better than main stream laptops, like Dell, HP or Toshiba??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by abimael08 View Post
    Do SYSTEM76 laptops work well?? better than main stream laptops, like Dell, HP or Toshiba??
    here is a review:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/h...-ubuntu-laptop
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast