Thread: How to donate systems to people?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

How to donate systems to people?

Hi,

Seems like a silly question, but I really have no idea.

I have a bunch of old computer parts (socket 7 era) that I could assemble and put (x?)ubuntu on them and have a couple working systems, including monitors I could donate to people.

But I have no idea how to actually find a charity/people/whatever to give things to!

Do I just call up a school/church/what?? and ask if they want them?

On a related note, how is that "foundation" thing coming along?
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans

Re: How to donate systems to people?

Quote Originally Posted by GameManK View Post
    Hi,

Seems like a silly question, but I really have no idea.

I have a bunch of old computer parts (socket 7 era) that I could assemble and put (x?)ubuntu on them and have a couple working systems, including monitors I could donate to people.

But I have no idea how to actually find a charity/people/whatever to give things to!

Do I just call up a school/church/what?? and ask if they want them?

On a related note, how is that "foundation" thing coming along?
    You may need to do a bit of research in your area and it would be good to hear what others are doing...I would find a good research librarian or a community center and get help from people who may already be established in such areas

The Cafe Ubuntu foundation I am still working on....

This takes time and devotion....

much interest is given in such subject matter I have to iron out the logistics,....for now I am concentrating in building this LoCo Team and moderating the UbuntuForums...

Jozef

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: How to donate systems to people?

GameManK

You may want to check out
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorcesterMAfreecycle/
    suggested to me by a friend at work who has used them before.

Don't know very much about them, but their main requirement is that whatever it is you are giving away, it must be free. Great way to recycle just about anything you don't need/want any longer that still has useful life in it.

I have previously donated some old machines to the senior center in town, and I suppose they may even know of elders who might be interested in having an email capable computer to keep in touch with grand children.

Hope this helps.
    Dan

Beans

Volunteers of America could probably hook you up with an interested group.

http://www.voa.org/

I've had success with Xubuntu on old computers (had to buy more RAM) given to people who haven't used computers before.

Beans

I don't know if you've found anyone to donate to yet, but if not, I'm trying to set up computers in classrooms using edubuntu, as well as a small elementary computer lab with edubuntu. We are a small, Christian school in North Central Massachusetts. You can learn more about us at http://www.twincitychristian.com.