Thread: Laptop heat and Fan speed drains battery

Beans

Laptop heat and Fan speed drains battery

Hi, I'm new to ubuntu. I was using opensuse earlier, started using ubuntu when I got my new dell inspiron 15R (5520) pre-installed with ubuntu 11.10. Am upgraded to 12.04 now.

After upgrade to 12.04, the laptop is running very hot and fan is screaming away all the time, Battery life is so low that I have to use it plugged in, all the time. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7xxx graphics card. I have tired almost all that was available on the forums (all very vague to me) to solve the issue - including installing and trying both opensource as well as proprietary drivers.

I have done an upgrade to 3.6 kernel also to see if that would fix the problem (Well, that has killed my bcm4365 wireless card which I had fixed with a driver I downloaded, I'll post the in the wireless forum).

Could someone help me with this, the laptop is ubuntu certified as well. I can not go back to 11.10 (dell customized) as it isn't available anywhere. I don't want to go back to windows after a couple of years now. Someone please provide me a fix.
    Last edited by melvinjose86; October 10th, 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop heat and Fan speed drains battery

Quote Originally Posted by melvinjose86 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to ubuntu. I was using opensuse earlier, started using ubuntu when I got my new dell inspiron 15R (5520) pre-installed with ubuntu 11.10. Am upgraded to 12.04 now.

After upgrade to 12.04, the laptop is running very hot and fan is screaming away all the time, Battery life is so low that I have to use it plugged in, all the time. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7xxx graphics card. I have tired almost all that was available on the forums (all very vague to me) to solve the issue - including installing and trying both opensource as well as proprietary drivers.

I have done an upgrade to 3.6 kernel also to see if that would fix the problem (Well, that has killed my bcm4365 wireless card which I had fixed with a driver I downloaded, I'll post the in the wireless forum).

Could someone help me with this, the laptop is ubuntu certified as well. I can not go back to 11.10 (dell customized) as it isn't available anywhere. I don't want to go back to windows after a couple of years now. Someone please provide me a fix.
    Maybe this could help : http://ubuntuguide.net/install-jupit...tu-12-04-12-10

Beans

That was useful information. I have installed tool and it works cool. I have a feeling that I am not giving the computer what it needs.

Infact, the fix should be that the system should recognize what is going on. It should not fire away in full capacity when all I'm using is just google chrome/firefox. As a matter of fact my system works as if I'm doing a video encoding while the only thing I do is browsing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by melvinjose86 View Post
    That was useful information. I have installed tool and it works cool. I have a feeling that I am not giving the computer what it needs.

Infact, the fix should be that the system should recognize what is going on. It should not fire away in full capacity when all I'm using is just google chrome/firefox. As a matter of fact my system works as if I'm doing a video encoding while the only thing I do is browsing.
    I always use Bleechbit after upgrade ones it made my old Tosiba laptop sanppier after upgrade you could try that cleaning is always good.

Just read it well here is how to

http://richxiong89.wordpress.com/201...ith-bleachbit/

Beans
    Distro

Start with all tick all boxes exept Free Disspace-Localization and Memory
    somone told me that dont know I have try all did not hurt my system.

Beans

Hey Hreinsi

Thanks for your suggestion about Jupiter. I was facing the same problem with Dell-Inspiron-5520 running ubuntu-12.10. Setting power on demand mode immediately fixed the heat/fan problem.

Shashank