Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless no longer works after upgrading to Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Angry Wireless no longer works after upgrading to Hardy Heron

I upgraded from Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 to Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS last night, using the update manager in Gutsy Gibbon, but after rebooting my wireless card no longer works. I have a D-link dwl-510 wireless card. It still shows up in the Device Manager, but I have nothing showing wireless connections on the upper right panel. What can I do to fix this? Have I missed something obvious? I am a new user of both Gutsy Gibbon and Hardy Heron.

Should I install NDISWrapper and use the windows driver that came with my d-link dwl-510 card as suggested here?

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/interne...iswrapper.html

How can I do this when I can't even get online to download the ndisgtk package? Do I have to burn a Hardy Heron istallation CD and get it from there? I was hoping to avoid having to do this.
    Last edited by TomThePhotographer; May 3rd, 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Beans

Re: Wireless no longer works after upgrading to Hardy Heron

Did you upgrade wirelessly? Not always, but sometimes wireless gets bumped during the reconfiguration, leaving you without the HAL/backport wireless drivers. Plug into ethernet, wait a few. If the update doesnt start on its own, do it manually.
    Last edited by c007c; May 3rd, 2008 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by TomThePhotographer View Post
    I upgraded from Gutsy Gibbon to Hardy Heron last night, but now my wireless card no longer works. I have a D-link dwl-510 wireless card. It still shows up in the Device Manager, but I have nothing showing wireless connections on the upper right panel. What can I do to fix this? Have I missed something obvious? I am a new user of both Gutsy Gibbon and Hardy Heron.

Should I install NDISWrapper and use the windows driver that came with my d-link dwl-510 card as suggested here?

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/interne...iswrapper.html

How can I do this when I can't even get online to download the ndisgtk package? Do I have to burn a Hardy Heron installation CD and get it from there? I was hoping to avoid having to do this.
    I dealt with the same thing when upgrading to Hardy. When you upgrade, the OS "re-disengages" the restricted drivers, so you have to re-enable / re-install them again.

Like in my case, I had to re-enable the restricted fwcutter, plug an ethernet cable into my labtop so the fwcutter could download the firmware again, then it installed the firmware. It took about 30 seconds for networks to pop up in the list, but it worked.

Now this is just my experience, but from what happened to me, I gather that whatever you had to do to install the wireless drivers for Gutsy, you'll have to do for Hardy again.

It's a pain, but I did it anyways, because I love ubuntu =)

Sorry if this didn't help much, as I'm still new around here.

=)

Beans
    Distro

Yes, i upgraded wirelessly. Plug into the ethernet? I don't have any way to plug this old Pentium III direcly into my router, if that's what you mean. I guess I would have to install an ethernet card. I was hoping to avoid having to do that, too. How about just going backwards and re-installing Gutsy Gibbon? Would that solve my problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Oh, and burning a installation disk isn't going to help, as everything you'll need is from other online sources.

Are you not able to jack in to your router via an ethernet cable temporarily as you fix this? That's what I had to do.

Ah, nevermind, as I see you've got a Pentium III....ouch, lol =)

Well...you can either install a ethernet card, or you can use another computer and put the needed files on a burned CD, and then onto your little ol' P/III.
    Last edited by CoeusTitan; May 3rd, 2008 at 01:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

When I originally installed Gutsy Gibbon, my Wireless card was recognized, no problem, it's only with the update to Hardy Heron that I can't use my wireless card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TomThePhotographer View Post
    Yes, i upgraded wirelessly. Plug into the ethernet? I don't have any way to plug this old Pentium III direcly into my router, if that's what you mean. I guess I would have to install an ethernet card. I was hoping to avoid having to do that, too. How about just going backwards and re-installing Gutsy Gibbon? Would that solve my problem?
    If thats how you were successful originally, yes. Then give the upgrade a second try. Sometimes it works. But before you do, check and see if the linux-restricted-modules and common 2.6.24 are loaded. try installing them
    Last edited by c007c; May 3rd, 2008 at 01:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I don't have any way of connecting an ethernet cable to my ubuntu installed computer. Couldn't I just do a complete re-installation of Gutsy Gibbon? ( a step backwards, it seems)

Beans
    Distro

This page seems to suggest a way of installing NDSWrapper without an internet connection...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=564419

Install "ndiswrapper" package with working internet connection (Ethernet):

Quote:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

Install "ndiswrapper" package without working internet connection (alternatively, install it via Synaptic/Adept):

Quote:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by c007c View Post
    Check and see if the linux-restricted-modules and common 2.6.24 are loaded. try installing them
    How do I do this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast