Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Outlook for business use

Beans

Alternative to Outlook for business use

I'm trying to make the switch from PC to Ubuntu and I'm not sure if I can fully replace Outlook yet.
    I use Outlook for my business, have 30+ email accounts on it, use the calendar, contacts, and pretty much all the options that Outlook has. What are my best options to replacing Outlook moving forward on Ubuntu? It looks like Thunderbird is the most advance one. Can it manage 30+ accounts or does it have a limit? Also is there any way I can import my Outlook data file o Thunderbird so i dont lose my old emails?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Alternative to Outlook for business use

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodfox View Post
    I'm trying to make the switch from PC to Ubuntu and I'm not sure if I can fully replace Outlook yet.
    I use Outlook for my business, have 30+ email accounts on it, use the calendar, contacts, and pretty much all the options that Outlook has. What are my best options to replacing Outlook moving forward on Ubuntu? It looks like Thunderbird is the most advance one. Can it manage 30+ accounts or does it have a limit? Also is there any way I can import my Outlook data file o Thunderbird so i dont lose my old emails?
    If you access Exchange 2010 servers for Calendar and Tasks then there is no viable Linux alternative. For Exchange 2007/2003 then Evolution still can access those systems.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know nothing about Outlook or Exchange servers but made note of this in case of need:
    http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Kolab or Citadel

Unfortunately, Outlook is tied to Exchange. It's a poor mail client, but it is the lock-in that makes it hard to switch. On the client side you might try Thunderbird with the Lightning add-on for calendars. I'm not sure if Exchange supports IMAPS at all or properly. Microsoft makes it hard on purpose.

Looking at a larger task, you might look at replacing the whole thing with Kolab or Citadel.

Beans
    Distro

@mrgoodfox

Are you using Outlook connected to an Exchange server or are you using it as a standalone client?
    Cheesemill

Beans

Im using Outlook as a standalone client. Im not using the exchange part of it

Beans

Hi

As per my suggestion the best alternative for Outlook is Thunderbird.

Regards
    Abhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 for Thunderbird + Lightning (calender plugin). If you are using an Exchange server (2003 or 2007) underneath, that setup will be able to handle it!

Beans

Is the process to move all my email history from Outlook to Thunderbird pretty straight forward too?

Beans
    Distro

This all depends on what protocol you use to connect to your email accounts.

If you connect using IMAP then you don't need to move anything as all of the mail is still on the server, you just enter the account details and Thunderbird will download all of the mail.
    If you use POP3, however, then it is a lot more difficult. There are different solutions depending on what version of Outlook you are using. A quick google for 'export outlook to thunderbird' should get you some answers.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast